General Tech Locker Poll

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Okay i have a simple question: If you only could have one locker, is it better to have it in the front or the back, if you mostly are going to rock crawl and it is a lockright. Please give your vote and all the pros and cons of both thanks:)

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Depends on:
vehicle weight distribution
hub locking configuration
front suspension type (IFS/SFA)
steering strength
expected road conditions
expected trail conditions/type

there are alot of trade offs to deal with.

Ideally a locker would be awesome in the front, but people generally put it in the rear for various reasons.

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Okay you had to get specific on me, okay solid swap axle into a 1991 4runner, manuel hubs, highsteer, dry conditions mostly, but still drives on the street, but i was just asking generally for your rigs that you run, maybe put your set up and where you have experienced teh best results

reddman

Fabber
Imo, if you can only run one, put it in the rear. Locking the front is so hard on shafts, joints, steering components, etc. If it was a daily driver with selectable hubs, there would be a little more of a case to lock the front only, but since you said it's mostly a crawler, the minor handling woes of locking it up out back are totally worth the performance gains.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
what kind of locker? selectable locker? or automatic?

Edit: missed that its a lockright , REAR

Edit again: turning with a lockright in the front on pavement or rock sucks when your in 4!

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Good Good sounds like so far that front is harder on parts and steering is harder, but i do have selectable hubs so that would help i think when it comes to streetablity

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
think about it like this seth, if you have that locker in the front when you go down to moab and are climbing up somthing fairly steep and flexing your suspension out and one rear tire is off the ground or close to it, sure both your front tires will be spinning, but there will not be much traction because your weight is now on the rear axle, and the one rear which is off the ground will be spinning, but where will most the weight of your vehicle be? on the one tire that is up in your wheel well doing you no good because you have an open diff back there, make sense? I hope so :)

reddman

Fabber
Even with the hubs factored in, a lockrighted front end blows goats to turn unless you have at least hydro assist. Personally it's not even a question, either lock the rear only, or do both AND upgrade your steering.

BTW I own an 84 toy that's welded front and rear, with hydro assist and 4.7s, and rollin' on 33s, it's unstopable! If you are fully locked and going to 35s or better you will need to upgrade shafts also.

Last edited:

OREGON85

from OREGON
The previous owner of my '85 Toyota pickup put a Detroit in the rear and a Trutrac limited slip in the front. It works awesome for my "medium-core" wheeling and primary on-road pickup.

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
I've got a lockright in the front and Ausie in the rear. Turning does blow with the front locked, but with the duals I run in 2 low a lot and engage 4 when needed. For sharp turns i pop the t-case into 2 when possible to make the turns easier. The selectable hubs still sucks on the road (snowy) when you only lock 1 in cause it pulls quite noticeably towards the one that is locked in. When I first locked the rear w/open front for a couple years I loved it. World of difference. I would go with the rear.

iamsparticus

yeah sean it makes sense, i was planning on the back becasue i thought it would work best, i'm just seeing if others agree

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Rear period.

LocRights are great lockers, but their lunchbox design just does not work well unless the axle is 100% straight and I am convinced that 8 out of 10 Toyota front axles are bent to some degree :-\ Rarely have I seem them work in a Toyota 8" front without popping violently...

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
My front is actually very smooth, hardly ever hear it pop, just a bi#*h to turn. The back I get some pretty nasty pops out of once in a while. Hoping for e-lockers down the road though.

rholbrook

Selectable in the front. I have seen a lot of busted axles in the rear because of the extra weight going up steep inclines but the weight is in the rear and you would have better traction with a locked rear in this situation. You could ask the same question on using chains in the winter. Everyone has an opinion and it really depends on personal preference and what type of wheelin you are doing.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Rear... Detroit, in a fullsize. Can't really tell it's there, I keep hearing from smaller vehicles' owners that they make their vehicles act weird but I can barely tell mine is in the Blazer... occasional popping, but I get off the gas in corners anyway so I don't roll it LOL It made that thing into a totally different vehicle.... and really points out how much more fun I'd have with something in the front axle TOO. :D But yeah, REAR.

rholbrook

[QUOTE :D But yeah, REAR.[/QUOTE]

This is too tempting to let it slide with Tacoma. As much crap as he give everyone. Let it be known that here that Tacoma likes it in the rear.