long arm upgrade

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
It looks great to me, is is more than comparable to others i have looked at, plus i think the owner of ARC fab is a member on here, maybe he will chime in

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't like the poly bushings, and I don't like the geometry of the rear suspension. (way too much anti squat)

The natural radius arm binding relies on bushing deflection to allow articulation, and poly bushings don't move like rubber ones do. (or you could remove one upper arm like Mope says, but then you get other handling issues)

i lean,
bare with me, i'm kinda retarded, what do you mean by "anti squat"?

i am running 5.5 rubicon express springs, with a short arm, so the ride and articulation kind of suck. this kit is in my price range, but i wanted to get peoples opinion on it. as far as I could see, it's pretty much the same kit that rubicon express has. the part that is a lil iffy for me is the front upper arm, and how it bolts down onto the lower. is this common and is this what you guys are talking about binding?

Mope

The front end is a radius arm type suspension. It does get some binding when you have two arms on top like they are. A lot of people will only run one, as it reduces the binding that may occur when they fight against each other.
Antisquat is how much your backend with raise when you get on the gas. 100% will have it raising quite a bit. Antisquat helps plant the tires in the ground and improve traction, but if there is too much, then you will get a lot of hopping etc if you are trying to climb something.
I've spent literally hours the last couple weeks reading about different setups, and there are definitely lots of variables that can come into play. If ya find some extra time, pirate4x4 has lots of good tech about suspensions on it.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yep.

This would certainly give you better ride quality and articulation that you currently have with your short arms, but it won't be as good as a higher-end kit.

The differences between the RE long arm and this one is the skidplate that comes with the RE, the rear upper arms mount up higher (reducing the antisquat--a good thing) and the rubber bushings in the front control arms. They still attach the uppers to the lowers in front, so it's still a radius arm.

If you wanted a different style front end, you could look at the Teraflex setup. It has separate upper and lower front arms, and the rear triangulates the upper arms so you can get rid of the track bar. You will spend a bunch more money on that setup though.