Looking at a toy hauler

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
The wife and I are looking into buying a toy hauler to serve a couple purposes...one, to serve as a summer cabin up at our property to replace the trailers we lost in the fire last year. Two, to use in the winter months for trips to Moab and St. George.

The trailer we are looking at weighs around 15K, its a big boy...question is this...will my 97 Powerstroke be up to the task, even if I have to dump some money into it? A new truck is a deal breaker on the RV, but I don't mind putting a few grand into the 97....

Thoughts? What upgrades would I need if its even a possibility...

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I think it will work fine. I have a 37' toy hauler that is probably around 15K when fully loaded. I orginally pulled it with a '06 Dodge 3500 SRW. The 5.9 in that truck did fine power wise and it towed pretty good......if there was a decent crosswind, it would pull the truck around a bit. Last October I traded the '06 for a '11 Dodge 3500 DRW. After towing with the dually, I don't think I will ever go back to towing a trailer with anything but the dually.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My trailer is 12k when loaded. I have a 94 non powerstroke diesel. It is a task to get up the hills (25mph up spanish fork canyon) but i believe my truck is not up to par, and it is not nearly as capable as a PS. I don't think you will have a problem.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
left out a little info on my truck. Its an F250, auto trans, 7.3 PS. I have airbags on the rear and its a crew cab, short box...

YOUKNOW

My wife and I used to have a bumper pull weighing in ~12,000lbs loaded to Glamis and back from So. Cal. It was about a 3 hr. one way. The truck was a 2004 F-250 short box, crew cab, completely stock except for a leveling kit and larger tires, and the only thing different was no air bags. The truck can pull it, but it depends on how hard you want to push it. Yeah, we could pin it up the passes and keep up with traffic, but do you want to risk blowing a trans or other important parts? What ratio of gearing are you currently running? Some people have upgraded the trans cooler as well. I think the V10 has a larger trans cooler that can swap over, but it has been a few years. I would also consider having a trans temp gauge and others for a piece of mind. I honestly think you will be fine, air bags are a plus already for you.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Not planning to tow it a ton, just want to be able to occasionally. The trailer will spend 75 percent of the time sitting at the cabin property. I don't mind taking it slow, don't like to push things to their breaking point anyway...definitely need a trans cooler, and will probably have the trans upgraded at some point anyway. Just want to do my research before I pull the trigger on such a large trailer.

LT.

Your truck is up to it. Add a few gages to monitor tranny temp, exhaust gas temp. You may want to add an exhaust brake as well. Going down soldier summit with just service brakes could be more than your factory brakes are up to. As far as motor modificitions go do the exhaust and intake for starters. It is pretty amazing what those two mods will do for your stroker.

LT.

Caleb

I've got to ask, if it's going to sit on your property 75% of the time, is a toy hauler really the best choice? It seems you could get a nice, lighter, cheaper trailer to do that with.

Beware pulling up long, slow, steep hills in 1st & 2nd gear where the torque converter is not locked, the tranny will get hot fast. Really hot. Even with a big-A tranny cooler. If you can run low range it helps. I have to keep one eye on the tranny temp when I tow heavy up the 5 miles at 15-25mph. My tranny tc will lock in 2nd but not 1st.

Last edited:

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I've got to ask, if it's going to sit on your property 75% of the time, is a toy hauler really the best choice? It seems you could get a nice, lighter, cheaper trailer to do that with.

It will be at the property only until the time when I can get an actual cabin put up, then it will be a full time toy hauler. Maybe 2-3 years...the garage part of the hauler will be pretty much wasted space in that capacity, a regular fifth wheel would offer more living space. However, mama wants a real cabin at some point, so I might as well get the toy hauler Ive always wanted.

Last edited:

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Beware pulling up long, slow, steep hills in 1st & 2nd gear where the torque converter is not locked, the tranny will get hot fast. Really hot. Even with a big-A tranny cooler. If you can run low range it helps. I have to keep one eye on the tranny temp when I tow heavy up the 5 miles at 15-25mph. My tranny tc will lock in 2nd but not 1st.

so youre talking about towing it up to your cabin? My property is 4 miles off the highway, with about 2 miles of it on a grade. only about half a mile is steep, and I plan on using low range for that. Definitely need to add some gauges....

so youre talking about towing it up to your cabin? My property is 4 miles off the highway, with about 2 miles of it on a grade. only about half a mile is steep, and I plan on using low range for that. Definitely need to add some gauges....

Yes, we're about 5 miles back in and nearly all uphill. One route has pavement for about 2 miles. I dragged my share of skid-steers and mini-ex's and man-lifts up there. I actually spun the tires once (on the pavement) starting back out after letting some cars past me (pulling a mini that time, as I recall). Shredded a set of BFG's on another hill (graded) when my auto-locking hubs didn't. Hammer down! Had some exciting descents too. Ah, the memories.

We bought an old travel trailer to stick up there the first few years.

Enjoy!

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
It sounds like you are willing to take it easy and not tow at 70+mph. The Ford E4OD's do not like reverse when loaded so be sure to use low range whenever you can, especially the slow speed maneuvering. I have 2 tru-cool ATF coolers mounted on my F350. Gauges are mandatory for the transmission and egt.

Having had a tire blow out, I now monitor tire pressures and condition religiously. Hopefully you have some E-rated rubber and not the D's. Airbags will help as the shortbed will get pushed around a little by the trailer, just go with it and don't white knuckle the load.

Aside from everything else mentioned, take your time and use good judgment. I get left in the dust by the group I tow in, but we always make it. :)

Obviously, ensure the rest of the Truck is maintained properly. Brakes, rod ends, filters, all fluids.
Have you checked the gvwr to see if the Truck is legally able to handle it?
I wanna see a pic of your Ford!

LT.

One more thing to look at. The 6.0 liter strokers had a much larger tranny cooler on them than the 7.3 has. See if you can find one and put it on. The 6.0 cooler is massive. Nice cheap upgrade.

LT.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
One more thing to look at. The 6.0 liter strokers had a much larger tranny cooler on them than the 7.3 has. See if you can find one and put it on. The 6.0 cooler is massive. Nice cheap upgrade.

LT.

hmmm...good to know

Toad

I have the same truck. Mine is a 1996. Mods I have done built trans, intake, exhaust, php chip, hypermax intercooler, air bags, gauges. I pull 10 k on the bumper alot. Mine pulls Sardine Canyon at 60 mph with the cruise on pulling 10k. I have thought about getting into a gooseneck flatbed for some of my heavier loads. I dont think the truck would have a problem with 15k. Hopefully your truck has 4.10 gears. 3.55 would make it hard to get that weight moving. Are you going to use a slider 5th wheel hitch?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Probably going to have to, being as its a short box. I've never owned a fifth wheel before, so its all new to me.