Looking at toyota pickups again

airmanwilliams

I swore after our dodge neon that I would never buy another dodge but what is the story on the dakotas? The neon was a great low mileage car but once it hit about 80,000 miles everything really went down hill there and we have been milking it.

sixstringsteve

Lots of good advice in this thread.

My 2 cents: don't borrow any money to buy a car, ESPECIALLY from a relative. Save up and pay cash for it. Sell the sidekick first, then find another one.

Early 90s toyota pickups used to be pretty reliable, but they're super expensive for clean ones, and most 22res have been hammered. I'd go for a ford ranger or a tacoma if you're not planning on towing.

A 3rd gen (96-2002) 4runner is probably the most bang for the buck toyota out there right now. That being said, a $3k toyota isn't going to be the most reliable vehicle out there.

Last edited:

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I had a hard time finding a pre-'97 Ford four door in good shape. Lots of them have the 7.5l V8, which is my favorite Ford motor. If your kids are in boosters now you could probably get away with an extended cab, but I needed the four door to have room for the car seat.

I did too, I actually would have preferred a 95-97? 4door but couldn't find a clean one with decent mileage....

That's good to hear, I have an '01 with the 5.4l and have been looking at trailers so I have the option of towing my 4Runner. Are you geared? Running a tune?

I have a 4door 03 f150 as I need room for car seats. I tow a 60h? Big tex car hauler trailer with my runner on it. Mine is lifted (didn't want it to be but the deal was right) and I have 33's on it with stock gears for now, (have 4.56's for it when I find time to throw them in) I also have a edge gas chip of adjusting my speedo and the ability for "tow mode" which I like a lot as well as the extra gauge display. Other wise stock. It tows pretty well only my only gripe is it can hunt with a little wind or slight incline between 3-4th at 60+ but the 4.56's should fix that as the rpm is low in OD.... It towed pretty well at 70-80 to Moab a month ago, can only imagine in stock form it would be a little better. Any way back on topic :)

Sell trailer>buy tent>problem solved!

Hahaha perfect! Would actually solve problems and generate money lol

Last edited:

airmanwilliams

I would still like to get a toyota pickup but havent been actively searching since we just bought a stock 95 sidekick for my wife to replace her neon that we are hoping to sell soon if we can get much from it. If the little toyota pickup doesnt do well with whatever motor one may have when I get one my father said I can use his 03 Tundra to pull the trailer since we would probably only have time to take it out a couple times if I get the managerial position I have been asked to apply for.