Looking for a Welder

Ford Prefect

Hello.

I am thinking about getting some stuff built and I was wondering if anyone on here works for and owns a welding shop. If not perhaps you can direct me to your favorite welder.

I have loose designs sketched out, and have an idea of what I am trying to build, but I need to get an idea of how much it would cost for the tub, the cutting, and the welding. I would also need some input on which thickness material to use. It is very repetitive work as I need about 20 pieces all exactly the same. It is also very simple work. (Sadly I do not know how to weld, nor do I have the equipment to do it.)

Might use Aluminum or Steel,

Thanks for any input!

Brian

CJenson

I do work for a company that is well equipped in the welding department, and as I am their primary fabricator, they kindly grant me access to the shop when I need it for my personal projects. The down side is that I am down in Cedar City. If that is not a problem, let me know and hopefully we can work something out.

Ford Prefect

I do work for a company that is well equipped in the welding department, and as I am their primary fabricator, they kindly grant me access to the shop when I need it for my personal projects. The down side is that I am down in Cedar City. If that is not a problem, let me know and hopefully we can work something out.

Well, I would prefer someone closer, but if I can not find anyone here I am willing to make it work.

Do you have any knowledge of hinges? I am looking for something similar to that of a spare tire carrier hinge. I found one online for $50, but I would like to come in at about half that at most, preferably closer to $10. I do not need it to hold nearly as much weight.

Also I guess I am going to need to find someone who can tell me what type of metal I will need.

What I am looking for is either a square tube welded to the hinge that is about 5.5 feet long and it would weld to that hinge. The hinge would have to mount into some sort of bracket which could ten mount to the wall. OR I would take that same 5.5' stick and weld it at an 80 degree angle (approximate angle) to a stick of the same material that is 5 inches long. With the latter concept I would just use another 5" stick, slightly larger opening than the long stick, in which the former could be dropped down into. It would not hinge this way, but could be made to move at 90 degree angles.

It would have to hold about 10lbs but would be able to withstand up to 100 lbs of pressure if needed. I m looking for something in about a 1" x 1" tube.

Any thoughts on the parts I would need and the price I would have to pay for you to do that?

If that all does not make enough sense to you let me know and I can provide more answers.

Thanks a lot!

Brian

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think you're going to have problems with that $10 hinge.... leverage is a *****, and has defeated many a hinge design, which is why Summit's are such a bargain. :D

You know, if you just posted a pic of what you're trying to build it would probably save a lot of time. :D

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I agree with taco.. and 100lbs at the end of 5 feet is going to put quite a bit of force on that hinge heck even 10 lbs over 5 feet is probably going to cause some deflection of that 1x1 tube.

sounds like you are making an awning to me (your description reminds me of one that a friend sent me when he was making his..)

Ford Prefect

Tacoma, yes, I know that it is highly unlikely to find anything like that. I just do not know what the price points are. As I said, I have seen them for $50. that are meant to hold up to a 40" tire on the back of a truck. That should give you forces of easily over 150lbs. I just do not think that I would need that much strength when there will be more than one hinge point on the entire design of the structure.=

Basically it is an awning. I am thinking that I could put them on a house, some people are into them. So I thought I might give it a go.

I have thought about using something with two bars out from the hinge, but I am not sold on the hinge idea yet.

I agree that the weight out there would be fairly high. Not sure how else to combat that however. (other than using thicker tubing)

I had thought about something that would use two tubs welded together, but with out any idea of the costs I can not really speculate on what I can do and still bring it in on the price point that I am looking for.

If this works out then I think one could build them for door ways that could extend out to ten or twelve feet. The nice thing on this one is that it would not be power at all. It would just be something that you would mount. Swing out the arms, and roll out the tarp.

I have already got the fabric worked out, now I just need to see if I can bring it in to the price.

I have NO idea how to get my google sketch-up onto here, so, if I can figure it out then I will post it up.

Brian

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Keep in mind you'll need to multiply your static loads 10 fold if you plan on the design holding up on a jeep thats bashing around over rocks and such.

CJenson

From what I gather by your description you want an arm or two that can support an awning on the side of a house or other structure, which can be folded in flat with the wall when not in use. Are you planning on using multiple supports or just one per awning? How long are you thinking the awnings will be? One option might be aluminum, depending on the design limitations. It would be lighter and corrosion resistant from the get go without paint, which would lower costs, but would be more expensive on the material end of things. As they said, it would be very helpful to see some sort of rough sketch to really get an idea of what you want. It sounds like a pretty simple design from what I gather, so the actual fab part of it would be pretty quick, and making them all at once would be even quicker. If a hinge is needed, I am also the machinist at work so I have access to that equipment too if a hinge needs to be designed. just let me know.

Ford Prefect

Basically I am looking for two supports. Think of something like |_| and yes aluminum would work very nicely, I just have no idea on the costs there.

I have also been told that trailer hinges would work well also. If I have to spend a bit more money then that is fine, so long as I can keep it viable. I would rather have a good product than people coming back to me, or worse their friends, and saying this is a terrible product.

I will try to get some sketches up soon.

Brian

Corban_White

Give my neighbor Don Kitchen a call. He owns Quality First Machine and Welding in lehi. 801-602 eighty two thirty three. Steel or aluminum he can take care of your needs.