looking for bigger grocery getter....

pELYgroso

'Merica
My wife's DD is our '92 4runner w/ the 22re and we love it, but our new boy just came and w/ my 3 yr old's car seat on one side, the infant car seat has to go behind one of the seats, and for it to fit well, the (passenger) seat has to be scootched forward a little more that what's comfortable. We're thinking about upsizing to a different 4 door SUV w/ a little more leg room. Our budget is $4-6k. I wouldn't mind something as big as a suburban but would like to stay a bit smaller. I'd like to get my wife something with a few more creature comforts but also something that can handle some mild backroads when we take it camping. Possibly handle a small lift w/ some 32's or 33's. looking for probably under 150k miles. Not too picky aout gas mileage but would like over 15 mpg's. Here are my thoughts so far:

WJ -tons for sale, pretty cushy, can be had in my price range even mildly built, fairly "capable" in stock form (which isn't necessarily a requisite) BUT, may not be much bigger than my 4runner is.

'00+ Explorer - don't know much about these as far as motor/drivetrain/luxuries go but they're a little bigger than the WJ and seem like they may have decent ground clearance for camping although I don't think I've seen one w/ a mild lift on it before. Can come w/ V6 for a little more fuel efficiency I think. They seem to be about the size that I think I'm looking for.

'00+ Tahoe - similar size to the Explorer, I've driven one of these and they seem pretty comfy. 5.3 or 5.7 are great motors, I've seem some w/ a mild lift and slightly larger tires that look like they'd handle car camping no problem.

I also checked out LR Discoverys but don't have any experience w/ land rovers at all and have heard mostly gripes from people about electrical bugs, etc, and I've heard that their gas mileage is pretty crappy for the size of vehicle. (10-13 mpg)

I've also thought about newer 4runners, XJ's, and japanese SUV's, but they're mostly the same-ish size as my current 4runner. Land Cruisers are all 200k+ miles in my price range and rusty, minivans are out of the question.....

Any insight on the 3 that I'm leaning toward or others that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

Tee

Tanned Fat Looks Better!
Not on your list but:
My wife drives a 05 Durango with the Hemi and multi cylinder stuff that gets 20+ if I don't remember it has a HEMI. Bigger than an Explorer. Smaller than a Tahoe. I think you could find one in your price range or less than a thou over at the mileage your wanting to stay under. Ours has 120K and has been virtually trouble free since new. (Battery, alternator, brakes, the usual stuff) The multi cylinder technology didn't come out till 05 and my old boss had a 04 same body style without it and didn't get the mileage. So look for one 05 or newer.
My .02 Hope it helps..

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
How about an 80 series? That would be my pick given the budget.

For that price range its definitely gonna be high mileage, a lot of maintenance, and more of the same as what he's got. I love my 80 more than anything, but it doesn't have tons of leg room, is really slow, horrible mileage, and overall really really bad for city driving.

Tahoe sounds like the best option. Way better than an explorer in almost every way.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
WJs seems to be a good value for what you get. Have you had a car seat in one yet?

pELYgroso

'Merica
Not on your list but:
My wife drives a 05 Durango with the Hemi and multi cylinder stuff that gets 20+ if I don't remember it has a HEMI. Bigger than an Explorer. Smaller than a Tahoe. I think you could find one in your price range or less than a thou over at the mileage your wanting to stay under. Ours has 120K and has been virtually trouble free since new. (Battery, alternator, brakes, the usual stuff) The multi cylinder technology didn't come out till 05 and my old boss had a 04 same body style without it and didn't get the mileage. So look for one 05 or newer.
My .02 Hope it helps..

I hadn't thought about the durangos! I'll check those out! I have seen a few of those w/ a 2"-ish lift and some AT tires that looked pretty nice. How was your Boss's w/ mileage? over 15 mpg's?

How about an 80 series? That would be my pick given the budget.

I do like 80 series cruisers but like mentioned, under 7k and you're over 200k miles w/ rust. A good rig but not worth what they go for, IMO. There are a few 60 series on ksl right now that I'd love to pick up but I want to get something a little more cushy for my wife to drive around.

I did look at that but again, I'd like something that my wife will consider "moving up" on the scale of luxuries. I'd be all over it if I wanted to make a SHTF grocery getter/zombie destroyer.

WJs seems to be a good value for what you get. Have you had a car seat in one yet?

I haven't, and that's my only worry. I wouldn't need a ton more room...if the back seat were even 4" further back in the vehicle it would make a big difference. I guess we'll have to take a look at one.

pELYgroso

'Merica
For that price range its definitely gonna be high mileage, a lot of maintenance, and more of the same as what he's got. I love my 80 more than anything, but it doesn't have tons of leg room, is really slow, horrible mileage, and overall really really bad for city driving.

Tahoe sounds like the best option. Way better than an explorer in almost every way.

Can you explain about the tahoe vs the explorer? How are they better? I'm not disagreeing, only looking for more insight.

Toad

If you have any more room in your budget I have a 04 wj that I have been thinking about selling(I have not tried yet). 4.0l part time t-case. It is one of the cleanest and lowest mileage WJ you will find 72000 miles. 8k

pELYgroso

'Merica
If you have any more room in your budget I have a 04 wj that I have been thinking about selling(I have not tried yet). 4.0l part time t-case. It is one of the cleanest and lowest mileage WJ you will find 72000 miles. 8k

How is the space in the rear seats? I really like the WJ over the others but if the space isn't there, its a no-go. If our 4runner had the extra couple inches in the back seat we'd be keeping it, so the extra space is a must. When we start looking hard we'll see about the space in the WJs and let you know! How is the 4.0 in the heavier WJ? (heavier than an xj)

Thats actually really nice! I'll have to show my wife! It looks like a glorified explorer....

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
I have owned a few of the cars your considering and the Tahoe (or burb) wins by far for that price. It will be in better shape and getter better gas mileage than any of the others. They're pretty reliable and I really liked my 5.3.

My wife currently drives a commander. It's pretty awesome with the hemi for a family car, but it rides (and rattles) like an XJ with a cadillac interior. It's fun but at 3 times the price of my old tahoe, I really miss the tahoe.

sixstringsteve

What about keeping the runner and getting a car seat that's lower-profile? I haven't seen your setup so this may not work, but it's worth a shot. I love that runner of yours.

Last edited:

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
the WJ gets my vote. I had a 2000 with the 4.0 and I loved it. the 4.7 seems to be a nice engine too, but i have no personal experience with that. I also dont have any experience with car seats, but i could fit comfortably in the rear seat, and I'm 6'3". I put 150k on one, and now my fiance's little brother is driving it. still goin strong with 185k+. Im even thinking about selling my 08 Legacy and picking up another WJ (03 or 04 Limited)

Toad

How is the space in the rear seats? I really like the WJ over the others but if the space isn't there, its a no-go. If our 4runner had the extra couple inches in the back seat we'd be keeping it, so the extra space is a must. When we start looking hard we'll see about the space in the WJs and let you know! How is the 4.0 in the heavier WJ? (heavier than an xj)

The rear seats are a lot roomier than your 4runner. Not as roomy as a full size. We have a car seat in the middle now and still room to put 2 people on the sides. I think the 4.0 does fine pushing the wj around. No it is not a hod rod. But it does fine loaded with stuff going places. I would not touch a 4.7 grand. Those motors are piles of garbage in my opinion. The best mileage I have gotten from mine is close to 20. Normal around town driving is 15-16

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
we have had to dump 3-4 4.7 grands at the auction do to oil burning issues, plus rod knocks. It seems about 1/2 that I look at have engine issues that are super obvious. We stopped buying them. They are cheap though

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The explorer came with a 4.0 in two flavors. The ohv is a solid motor and was offered until around 98. The ohc motor had tons of valve train issue in the early engines. After about 02 thy work pretty well. Explorers are cheap and pretty nice for the money. Plus there are tons of them at the junkyard when you need parts. The 4.0 ohc has 215 HP and will get upper teens for mpg. I have a 98 with 140k and everything still works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LT.

I vote Tahoe for your requirements. I have one issued to me at work and I love it. Even with the 5.3 engine it will get up and move. While the rear seats are not like a suburban they are big enough. If i drive it in town I can still knock down about 13-15 mpg. On the higway it will be closer to 20 mpg. I dont think i have ever gotten 20 mpg but, i also have lots of external lights mounted on the roof of the vehicle. I rarely get to drive it strickly on the highway.

Whatever you go with i would recommend test driving every choice. You may find a feature on a vehicle that you cant live without even though you dont get that vehicle. You may want a paticular feature on the vehicle you do end up with.

LT.

Last edited: