Loose Steering Column

4thefamily

I have a 90 Xj and my steering column has gradually become really loose. I talked to a guy I work with and he said that is a common thing? Do any of you guys know someone who can fix it without charging me a sh@@load of money?

Thanks

Caleb

I would just check it out yourself...when you say loose do you mean the column is literally loose or is the steering loose...if the steering is loose then I would start to check out all the components (TREs, Wheel bearings, steering box, steering joints, etc) if the cloumn is losoe then I would check the under the dash where it bolts up and makes sure it is tight...it shouldn't be too hard to diagnose yourself...and I have never heard of a column getting loose on any Jeep...I have heard of the steering becoming loose and it is usually the steering box...

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
Brett said:
I've seen the joint on tilt steering columns wear out...usually just the bearings inside that have gone bad
search on ju there is a ton of peopl that have this probem and supposebly it is just 3 bolts way down in the steering column that are loose.

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I am having the same problem on my cj tilt steering. It appears to be in the steering column. Do I need to pull the column out and replace bearing?

Brett is this a mepco stocked item or does anyone know a better place to get one?

OR is there a easy way to take the slop out of my steering column.

4thefamily, sorry to hi-jack your thread. But I am hoping we can get these toys back together. :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Jinx said:
I am having the same problem on my cj tilt steering. It appears to be in the steering column. Do I need to pull the column out and replace bearing?

Brett is this a mepco stocked item or does anyone know a better place to get one?

OR is there a easy way to take the slop out of my steering column.

4thefamily, sorry to hi-jack your thread. But I am hoping we can get these toys back together. :D
My CJ used to have a lot of slop in the steering. There is a little plastic block at the firewall that acts as a u-joint-it in the sector shaft. At the steering box end, the joint is just nasty. I replaced my whole sector shaft and put the borgeson style joints on it. 5 billion times better now.

JoeT

You can fix it by just tightening up certain bolts. But you have to remove the steering wheeling/ turn signal crap to get to them. They are black and have a 6 point head on them I believe. The XJ steering columns are almost identical to S-10's and I've done this to both a XJ and a S-10. good luck.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
JeepinJoe said:
You can fix it by just tightening up certain bolts. But you have to remove the steering wheeling/ turn signal crap to get to them. They are black and have a 6 point head on them I believe. The XJ steering columns are almost identical to S-10's and I've done this to both a XJ and a S-10. good luck.

Most of the time it's still the bearings.....

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'm a gonna have to say that if it is the tilt that is loose, it is just the three bolts down in the column....I do not think it would be a bearing.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Brett said:
Depends on the year and such....and what options you have on your column...like auto on the column....let me know!

'77 but it is from something else(cj)... It is a tilt with no auto...

thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will try to tear into it this weekend.. :D

redrock

limegrnxj said:
search on ju there is a ton of peopl that have this probem and supposebly it is just 3 bolts way down in the steering column that are loose.
i would place money on what this guy said very common my yj done this cost 60 bucks to fix unless you know a good chevy guy they say the steering colum is the samething

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
4thefamily said:
Jinx,

Did you get yours fixed yet??

Regretfully NO, :-\ I have had the opportunity to go to way too many christmas parties this wonderful season and i have to go out of town with work tomorrow through friday.

How about you? Did it work?