Low buck sawhorses?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've got a bunch of metal shelving and pallet racking I need to prep and paint. I can build a couple of sawhorses but unless I just want to do a few at a time I'm going to need a dozen or more to really get productive. I don't want to drop the coin on that many sawhorses for one project considering I'll likely never need them again. Buckets would almost work, I'm going to paint them over my lawn. Any creative suggestions?

sixstringsteve

my creative suggestion is to invite your buddies over and tell them to bring a sawhorse or two. Write their names on 'em, and have 'em come back in a week to pick 'em up.

I've got two you can borrow.

Last edited:

Taco4life

Harbor freight has some really cheap (both ways) saw horses they are plastic and $12.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-capacity-folding-sawhorse-46762.html

Or they have the brackets for $5 http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-2-sawhorse-brackets-67163.html if you have a couple of 2x4's laying around could be fairly easy. But that's another project...

If I had some I would let you borrow them, but I have never purchased them because I always borrow them from a neighbor.

What if you just laid down some paper or plastic on your lawn and painted them? Do they need to be elevated?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The brackets you use 2x4's to make sawhorses work well, and you can make 8' long sawhorses to stack a BUNCH of stuff on. From memory, they're similarly cheap from Home Depot/Lowes, too. Just need to cut your legs to length, and clamp the horizontal 2x4. I think a single screw or nail holds the legs in, but you could probably delete that anyway.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Right on, those 2x4 brackets would be easy enough, I could be into each sawhorse under $10. I'll go 4' or so wide accommodate the pallet rack up rights.

Caleb

I have a couple of the Tupperware type I bought when I was going to refinish that taco shell I got from you. I've never used them since. If you want to borrow them, you are welcome to them.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I may take you up on that Caleb. I'm going to snag a few of the HF ones and see how those work out. I'm thinking I can use a single 8' 2x4" with 3 of the clamps, one at each end and one in the middle?

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I have a pair of plastic ones I bought from Home Depot to support my ARB bumper while I painted it so I guess they're pretty strong. You can borrow them if you like.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I was gonna suggest the brackets, they're about as cheap as you can get. If you've got scrap plywood laying around you can make them even cheaper, but they're about an iota more work than the brackets... either way.

bobmed

- - - -
I use these plans to make quick sawhorses.
It's real quick if you have a framing nailer.
A drill with a screwdriver bit and some deck screws work good to.
Braces could be added for more strength but just plain ones are holding up
about 300 lbs. of metal by my garage and have been for about a year.
The dimensions can be changed to make the height and width you need.

Attachments

• Sawhorse plans.pdf
    107.6 KB · Views: 9
  • P6210604.JPG
    P6210604.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Scored a dozen of the HF brackets today, that will get me started... if they work out well I'll snag some more. Anyone want to buy a load of them after I'm done. Half price :D

gahi

Ha, glad to here that I'm not the only one who wants to paint their pallet racks. I use jack stands with what ever length 2x4 I have laying around a lot.