Low Range Toyota Gears

Max Power

Bryce
Has anyone ran the trail gear low range 4.7 t-case gears? I need lower gears and the price is right for these. Marlin gears run another $150. Will they hold up? Any info would be great.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
What do you need lower gears for? Your junk hasn't moved in over a year. They will only add extra weight to allow it to sink even deeper in the pavement that its parked on. I would personally spend the extra on the Marlins because I have heard they hold up better. For you though, I think the TG ones would hold up just fine for 20 years.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
What do you need lower gears for? Your junk hasn't moved in over a year. They will only add extra weight to allow it to sink even deeper in the pavement that its parked on. I would personally spend the extra on the Marlins because I have heard they hold up better. For you though, I think the TG ones would hold up just fine for 20 years.

:rofl:SMACK!!! (i'm guilty too)

When it comes to gears, I would go with the Marlins, $150 isn't much when it comes down to getting off the trail or not (or out of the garage).

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK

Nice:rofl: But back to topic. I bet the TG ones would work fine for you, but have you considered what lower gears would do to the sparkly metal flake paint?

Max Power

Bryce
I guess I have had my priorities screwed up like going to college and buying a house. I graduate in the spring so I am excited to have time to do some wheeling next year. Do you guys know exactly why you think the marlins might hold up better? Are they easier to install?

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
The Marlin's are better, plain and simple he has put the $$$ and time in R&D and that's why they cost more.

However I ran a set in my old truck for 15,000 miles with no inclination of a failure and they were quiet, ran cool and shifted smooth. The setup is virtually the same.

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
I've ran the TG gears in a few trucks and with my setup on my rig definately puts a bit of stress on the gears. Never had a problem with the TG parts.

ricsrx

I also purchased the TG and did the install my self, all strait forward, no problems and the are great to have.

Max Power

Bryce
I ordered the trail gear set. I also ordered a fancy new shift knob that says 4.70. Sweet deal too. 316 out the door for both including shipping.