LS swap oil pressure sensor, Jeep LJ

mdbs14

I got the engine back under the tub, and realized that I forgot to deal with the oil pressure sensor plug in the in back of the engine. Is this sensor needed? Space is very tight to get to it, and my harness doesn't have a plug for it.

Same deal with the plug on the right side of the oil pan.

J-mobzz

I can’t imagine the ecu wouldn’t need to see oil pressure? Not to mention the fact that if it’s not plugged at all right now, it’s definitely going to spew oil. the pressure switch that goes on there isn’t that big I think it would be just as difficult to get a plug in there as it would the actual sensor. Also, I don’t know if you replaced the pick up O-ring in the oil pan, or even if it’s a brand new engine but that’s a pretty big issue with those engines losing oil pressure I wouldn’t want to do my first start up without a pressure gauge.

J-mobzz

A quick Google search shows that you don’t need it for the engine to run with an LS. But I still couldn’t imagine a world where I would want to spend all that time and money, putting an engine swap in without having an oil gauge.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I'd do whatever it takes to have a functional oil pressure gauge AND provide a pressure signal to the ECU, weather you use the hole where the factory sending unit sits or the one down by the filter.

With a gauge, you can run either electric sending units or mechanical... I prefer mechanical, but that means you have pressurized, hot oil in the cabin feeding the gauge.

The aftermarket electric sending unit isn't as big as the factory one, if you'd prefer that route.

You can find aftermarket LS oil pressure relocation plates if you'd prefer to move the sensor from the top-rear of the block, to down next to the filter... like this.

I used that exact one on a previous LS engine swap and it worked great.