General Tech Lunch box locker

Mope

I am considering buying a lunch box type locker for the front of my sami running toy axles. When I had sami axles I had lockrites, and the front one would never unlock. It acted like a spool. The rear one worked like it should.
My question is this: Do those of you running this type of locker have the same issues I did? It would be nice of it to unlock when turning a corner when I'm not on the gas.
I'd like a selectable, but it's just not in the budget right now, and I'd like to lock the front.

Thanks

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
As long as you're not accelerating or decelerating hard the locker should unlock... Samis are really light though, so there isn't a whole lot of weight persuading the locker to cooperate either. I'd bet the locker in the Toy axles would act very similar to the old one you had.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
....unless you put in 2 wheel drive, either high or low range. That will take all the load off the front locker, and it'll release and ratchet, and drive like an open diff. :)

Mope

It could have been shimmed to tight in the sami axle. I didn't set it up so I'm not sure.

I do have a twin stick setup in my sami so it's easy to just pop it out of 4wd. If it will still ratchet with the hubs locked in, it makes me interested again.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
I have Aussie locker's front and rear. They work great, the only time it has a real hard time is going down hill on slick rock and sometime's random time's but for the most part its good. I do however on occasion wish I didn't have one in the front.

Mope

I have Aussie locker's front and rear. They work great, the only time it has a real hard time is going down hill on slick rock and sometime's random time's but for the most part its good. I do however on occasion wish I didn't have one in the front.

Could you elaborate a little on the down hill thing, and what situations you were in when you didn't want it?
That's why I'd really like a selectable, so I can choose.

I appreciate the input.

billylight

Could you elaborate a little on the down hill thing, and what situations you were in when you didn't want it?

I appreciate the input.

i have always loved this style of locker. lunch box or full detroit. there are a few trade offs (unloading at weird times, tough steering) but they are super reliable and the few trade offs are kind of cool. they remind you that you are in a modified rig for offroading.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!

I appreciate the input.

Its just like when you get on the throttle your locker lock's. When your going down hill and your in gear there is pressure forcing the locker to stay lock'd up. It just makes the steering to become hard.:-\ Its not real real bad but puts alot of pressure on the steering. The other time "I" don't like the front lock'd is in the snow. I found I did alot better with out it than after I put it in. Weird I know but from my experience true:D I used to out dig my brother and buddy in the snow but after I installed my locker they can out do me in the snow. But other than those I like having one, I wish I had the clams to get a selectible one thou:)

Hope that helped. I'd like to know what other's think about the snow and being locked in the front.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
i have always loved this style of locker. lunch box or full detroit. there are a few trade offs (unloading at weird times, tough steering) but they are super reliable and the few trade offs are kind of cool. they remind you that you are in a modified rig for offroading.

I agree I love the locker. I'd stay way away from the quicklock thou. They are poor quality and ratchet really bad. The Aussie is awesome and for $230 you can't beat the price;)

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
I'd go ARB no problem. I just didn't have the money to go that route at the time. :) If you have the money its worth it for the selectible in the front IMO.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
You have the ARB in the rear? Get you an aussie and install that in the rear and move your ARB to the front. The Aussie works awesome in the back axle. never a bit of problem:)

Mope

You have the ARB in the rear? Get you an aussie and install that in the rear and move your ARB to the front. The Aussie works awesome in the back axle. never a bit of problem:)

I've been tempted too. I have been spoiled with the selectable diff in the rear....I'm just to dang picky I guess. I'd really like to do something though.

I appreciate the info you guys.