Lunch box lockers

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
After searching a guess they do make a lunch box locker that work inside a lsd carrier, only the powertrax from what i found. Its a bit pricey compaired to the others at $480. Or you would need to get a new carrier to put a lunch box locker in the rear and not have to buy that one. Which would also require setting up the gears for the new carrier.

You could get a detroit locker for the rear, which is a full bodied locker and will come with its own carrier/locker all in one assembly which makes it stronger then a lunchbox setup.

In my rear I just bought the spartan as I had an open diff. poped it in and went with it. Same for the front D44 as well. I haven't really tested the lock right off road yet which is why I didn't comment on it. But the springs and pins in the spartan are bigger then the lock right.

Last edited:

Rock Hound!

ROK JNKY
I have a lock right in the front (D-30) and have never had an issue. I have run every trail in Moab several times in the past 5 years (-Prichett) :) I have the 4.1 kit with 2 low very nice :D. I run 35" tires, now the difference of me and others is I do not beet the shit out my rig in ugly situations. I get aggresive just know when to back off. I have considered putting one in the back (Currently D-40 with a trac lock) but have heard that could get ugly with the torque of the 4.0 on the road. Now driving in the winter in 4WD is a little scary because your locked tight up front, I have been removing the locker and replacing the stock spider gears for snow.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
Ah the goold old locker debate :D My observations after 14 years......

Every type of locker has it's ups and downs. It just depends on what the vehicle's primary use is. Selectable if its a daily driver, Spool if its a OHV.

Front or rear first? I have broken my rear diff a few times and limped off the trail in front wheel only. There is a big difference in pulling and pushing. So where is the most traction going to be? Just like sitting in a wheel chair. When using your legs to pull yourself the way your facing, you are working hard to get traction and get moving. While pushing, you are flying and running into people cause you can't see where your going. Simple enough? :D

Omgbecki

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to do the rear now unless somehow I get the money to do a selectable (this is a daily driver.) Which should I do for the front?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
If a lunchbox type the lockrite and spartan are very similar. Either will work. I believe the Spartan to be a little stronger and it is cheaper.

If selectable then I would go with the yukon zip locker. Air actuated super beefy and a lot cheaper than the ARB.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Your trac-loc carrier is different than a standard carrier that you'd be able to put a lunch box style locker in. To put a different (lunchbox) locker in the rear, you'll need to change out to a standard carrier, re-install the gears, and put in the lunchbox locker, which is what you're trying to avoid. If I were you, I'd put a lunchbox locker in the front, and run it until you feel like the trac-loc no longer suits your wheeling needs. At that point, go with a Grizzly locker which replaces the carrier. I had a Cherokee w/a D30 and a locker in the front for a couple years running 36's (also had 4340 shafts) and never broke a thing, but I also don't go crazy when I wheel. Like you, I kinda figured out my limit and stopped before anything broke. I have a new spartan locker for your D30 if you want it. I'll PM you pricing....

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've been surprisingly happy with my lock-right front locker. For a cheap locker it has worked really well. If I break it I'll have to revisit my options, but so far so good. Now if the cost was the same, as it may be if you have to replace your carrier, I would be looking at a full case locker like a Detroit.

gertsch

I ran detroits front and rear in my tj. Has a dd it was fine as long as u kept ur foot out of it on turns and got use to it trying to change lanes on its own. Turning with the front was a pain. It was like turning a full size on the trail lol! Now I'm running ox lockers front and rear. Love them! I did waste money on my Dana 30, but it's held up better then my 44. I'm running 35's and I'm heavy footed!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd run a selectable locker in a Dana 30 again. I'd keep my tire size below 35" though. Maybe stick to a 33".

I've not run a lunchbox in the front, but run a 14 bolt lunchbox in the rear of my "Jeep". I'll probably move to a selectable in the rear but that's pretty low on the priority list.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
After running my Lockright on slick rock, I would highly recommend a selectable up from for steering reasons. I like my Lockright, pops a bit but no biggie for me. with buying the lock right and even if I add Hydraulic assist I will still be cheaper then a Selectable. But for a lot of people with DD's a selectable front would be ideal. I also LOVE the 2 LO kit for steering. makes things easier.