Making a bike fit

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Can we talk about street bikes up in here? I have a 1980 Honda 400 that I'm going to get to fixing up any day now (for reals, any day now). I have a bunch of different ideas for what direction I could take a rebuild on it, and I got to sitting on it the other day and seeing exactly what I want to do with the handlebars and that... and I don't fit. My knees are up in my chest, it's ridiculous. What are my options here, a slightly taller seat or would that throw off the balance of the thing? I looked around a bit for maybe an extender kit for the pedals and didn't see anything, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Or should I just accept that it's too small for me and look for something else to fiddle with?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
That's a small bike for a feller of your stature. I would look for something else to start with if I were in your shoes. If you change the seat, your bars will be too low.. And that starts the snowball. Next thing you know you have $5k into a $1k bike.

D

Deleted member 12904

Hardtail it add 4-6" add some forward controls and have a cool little bobber that would fit you.
honda_superdream_hard_tail_%20bobber_chopper_frame.jpg

Kevin B.

This is sweet, can I do this?

8925991456_346d8dac79_b.jpg

I'd need help with the tube work and exhaust. I think maybe I could handle the rest of the fab. I believe I'd probably put some effort into a comfier seat, my aesthetic has limits :). Is that chain length a problem for him, do you think?

sixstringsteve

You could totally do that kev. I dig the street tracker look the most. I'd like to build a SR500 street tracker and do a road trip to the swell on it. something like this:

big_moon_sr400.jpg

yamaha-sr500-custom.jpg

Dangit Kevin, you're not helping me keep my vehicles to a minimum...

Last edited:

Kevin B.

CM400 Custom.

I think "custom" means I get a front disc brake and a tach :D. There's also a 400e which is the base model, a 400t and another one I can't remember right now. I'm still learning about the thing.

sixstringsteve

I like this one. Simple.

[video=youtube;GuWzfIroJw8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuWzfIroJw8&list=UU9fNhB5PxC8PO4AqKDnmiHg[/video]

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Those seats look HORRIBLE! I have a big, fancy seat on my 990 and even it sucks after an hour of riding... the seats on those bikes are for looks, I couldn't imagine riding on one of those bikes for any amount of time.