Mental health: it’s ok to talk.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
When I lost my parents; neighbors, the ward, others checked in once and they were done. My advice is don't make it a one and done. Most people turn down the first offer of help because that's what we do as people (maybe it's just me who knows). Follow up, check on them occasionally, do things for them even if they don't ask. Show them that you are there with actions not just words.

Houndoc

A girl in the neighborhood nearest ours took her life yesterday. 13 years old, it is heartbreaking for the entire school, church, neighborhood and of course most of all the family. What is the best way to support the family after this happens?

Anything that shows you care. A phone call, text anything.

I am sure most here remember the mass shooting in Grantsville a couple years ago- we knew the family well. Simply reaching out to the dad (who I knew the least of the family) and the son who survived is all we could do but it seemed to help. I think it is extra important to remember to show that concern weeks, months or years down the road once the rest of our lives have returned to normal. Theirs never will.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Today was my first day home in a week and the first time I've really dealt with my emotions since learning of my cousins passing. Its been a tough night.

I'm really struggling with what I can say or do for my uncle. He lost his best friend. I can only begin to imagine his pain. I'm going to visit him tomorrow, and don't know what I'm going to say until I'm there, but hope I'll know when the time comes.

I have a firm belief that we have hard times in life to make us stronger. These hard times are the equivalent of lifting weights. Without the resistance we would be weak and soft. Some of us have to be strong for others to help them through. Someone will be there for us when we need them.

I'd be honored to be the strong person others can lean on when times get hard. I hope I can be one of the strong people for my uncle.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’m 8 days in, no FB and IG. I would say “social media” but I think RME probably counts. I noticed I was spending wasting way too much time on it, just mindlessly watching stupid videos by people I don’t know or care about- with no real reasoning. Part of the reason I decided to take a break was because I noticed my wife is watching reels way more than usual, because it’s her new way of relaxing and it BUGS me. A lot. I bet she can’t make it an hour without getting on IG. I’ve tried to bring it up casually but I’ve had zero success. I’m hoping she notices it’s working for me and takes action. I need to figure out how to get back into it in March but it’ll be on a way smaller scale. No time-killing is the idea.

I also stopped watching shows in the background during work and I’m finally reading again. It’s been several years since I picked up a book. I’m enjoying both changes a lot. I actually just sat down and watched a couple episodes of TV for the first time this week and found myself pretty bored so I went for a quick walk. This stuff combined with trying to make sure I accomplish something every day has been really good for my mental health but as you all know, it’s an ever-changing beast.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I’m 8 days in, no FB and IG. I would say “social media” but I think RME probably counts. I noticed I was spending wasting way too much time on it, just mindlessly watching stupid videos by people I don’t know or care about- with no real reasoning. Part of the reason I decided to take a break was because I noticed my wife is watching reels way more than usual, because it’s her new way of relaxing and it BUGS me. A lot. I bet she can’t make it an hour without getting on IG. I’ve tried to bring it up casually but I’ve had zero success. I’m hoping she notices it’s working for me and takes action. I need to figure out how to get back into it in March but it’ll be on a way smaller scale. No time-killing is the idea.

I also stopped watching shows in the background during work and I’m finally reading again. It’s been several years since I picked up a book. I’m enjoying both changes a lot. I actually just sat down and watched a couple episodes of TV for the first time this week and found myself pretty bored so I went for a quick walk. This stuff combined with trying to make sure I accomplish something every day has been really good for my mental health but as you all know, it’s an ever-changing beast.
I've logged on to FB or IG less than 5 times since October and those were to checkout an event someone sent me. It's absolutely better for my mental health. I feel much less like a wet robot.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Yesterday I found out my childhood friend just passed away. 2 weeks before his 40th birthday.
I lost touch with him only couple years ago but we still text from time to time.
I'm feeling a huge amount of guilt that I didn't try harder to reconnect. I know he was struggling. We think it was heart failure related but it came out of nowhere. Now his 11year old daughter doesn't have a father and I'm broken up about it.
I was having a rough day yesterday and I'm feeling some serious guilt for not trying harder to reconnect with him; I've always felt I'm supposed to look after others and I wish I did more. I don't honestly think it would've changed what happened as we really have no ultimate control over when others or our time is up, but feelings aren't usually logically. And it hurts to recognize we have no control.

20240305_094926.jpg
I've never taken a "mental health day" or even a "mental health hour" but I thought I'd try for a few... My 3yr old came in my room with his bracelet kit and we listened to Bob Marley and made a "happy Daddy bracelet." I don't know how he knew I needed him in that moment, but I really did. The goodness of children cannot be overstated. God's mercy in our times of weakness cannot be overstated. I for one will try to be a more decent human. Let's all look after each other.
Please say a prayer for his family and his young daughter. I'm just gutted for them.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Yesterday I found out my childhood friend just passed away. 2 weeks before his 40th birthday.
I lost touch with him only couple years ago but we still text from time to time.
I'm feeling a huge amount of guilt that I didn't try harder to reconnect. I know he was struggling. We think it was heart failure related but it came out of nowhere. Now his 11year old daughter doesn't have a father and I'm broken up about it.
I was having a rough day yesterday and I'm feeling some serious guilt for not trying harder to reconnect with him; I've always felt I'm supposed to look after others and I wish I did more. I don't honestly think it would've changed what happened as we really have no ultimate control over when others or our time is up, but feelings aren't usually logically. And it hurts to recognize we have no control.

View attachment 170433
I've never taken a "mental health day" or even a "mental health hour" but I thought I'd try for a few... My 3yr old came in my room with his bracelet kit and we listened to Bob Marley and made a "happy Daddy bracelet." I don't know how he knew I needed him in that moment, but I really did. The goodness of children cannot be overstated. God's mercy in our times of weakness cannot be overstated. I for one will try to be a more decent human. Let's all look after each other.
Please say a prayer for his family and his young daughter. I'm just gutted for them.
Sounds like we need to head out and test those new tires.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member

View attachment 170433
Sorry for your loss. It's increasingly difficult to deal with the loss of people so young. Prayers for your and his families.

For anyone needing some outdoor time, I'm heading to Helper for a 7pm showing of a Short Film "Remebering Castle Gate" Friday night. After the film I'll grab some food then head to the Swell to camp for the night. I plan to hike some Slot Canyons on Saturday before returning home Sunday morning. Anyone is welcome to join for all or part of my itenerary.

Tonkaman

View attachment 170433
That’s a tough feeling to kick. I think all of us can relate to you on this with someone we know.

Your one hell of a good friend. Your buddy would have known that.

Houndoc

It is always hard, I think we all feel like there is more we can or should be doing to reach out to others. Unfortunately often that is more than what we really can do, and it is okay.

We do our best.

Pike2350

My 14yr old daughter came home yesterday and told me one of her friends attempted suicide on Tuesday night. It breaks my heart for them (supposedly non-binary all of a sudden, but really it is likely they are trying to find a place they feel they "fit in") My daughter went through the same thoughts of "could I have done more" I told her she did everything she could. As soon as there was any kind of inclination she reached out to them, but it didn't stop them. It's scary enough when it's an adult, or someone that is more responsible for their own actions....but when a child attempts these things, it breaks my heart.

The kid is a boy and is likely on the spectrum. They have never exhibited any inclination of being feminine or non-binary and I think they are just trying to find a place they feels they isn't alone. They is what everyone would call a nerd. They like D&D, computers, anime, etc. They have a good friend group with my daughter and about 5-6 others. Sometimes the feelings of isolation are just too great. They are in a facility for now and I hope they really get the help they need.

I am referencing them as they out of respect for my daughter and the situation. I do not believe it is how they really feel, but I have also only directly interacted with them a few times, but have seen them and they have gone to school with my daughter for years at a private school, so you get to know of them a bit more.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Some of you have seen my Facebook posts about my brother's death. For those who haven't , he committed suicide last week. It was completely out of the blue and I still can't believe it's real. I know I've read every post on this thread but none of it sinks to your core until you experience it first hand. He was my only sibling and he was my little brother. I feel some guilt for not being able to protect my little brother, but I'm fully aware that his death was not in my control. That fact doesn't stop the feeling. I heard some of this speech from JP about a year ago. It's really giving me strength right now but it was insightful the first time I heard it. "Be the strongest person at your father's funeral". That line hits home. You can't do anything about the loved one that you lost, but you can do something for those still here and hurting. That purpose gives me peace. Hopefully you guys get something from his words too.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Some of you have seen my Facebook posts about my brother's death. For those who haven't , he committed suicide last week. It was completely out of the blue and I still can't believe it's real. I know I've read every post on this thread but none of it sinks to your core until you experience it first hand. He was my only sibling and he was my little brother. I feel some guilt for not being able to protect my little brother, but I'm fully aware that his death was not in my control. That fact doesn't stop the feeling. I heard some of this speech from JP about a year ago. It's really giving me strength right now but it was insightful the first time I heard it. "Be the strongest person at your father's funeral". That line hits home. You can't do anything about the loved one that you lost, but you can do something for those still here and hurting. That purpose gives me peace. Hopefully you guys get something from his words too.

I'm sorry man. That's very tough. We will definitely keep you and your family in our prayers.

If you need anything, I'm here for you man.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

JP is a gift to modern mankind.

JP would also tell you to get your ass to Moab this weekend, even if it’s in a Toyota. We’re here for ya. :hickey:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

Truly sorry for your loss, Chad... if you ever need to talk or get out and clear your mind, I'm here for ya!