Metal Masher

Inyon98

JP's Moab Cutie?
Saturday, August 21st. Today a group of RR4W got together and did a pre-Labor Day Camp-out run to Metal Masher. 7 vehicles: 2 CJ 7's, 2 TJs, 2 Zukis, and my XJ.

Everything began smoothly, no problems. Then came Rock Chucker Hill. 4 vehicles attempted it. I was NOT included in that, apparently I need lockers. Anyways, it's a MEAN looking obstacle. 1 Zuki (that has been stretched 8 inches and is running 35's) and 1 TJ made it, and the other Zuki, and one of the CJs broke. The CJ broke the U-joint on the passenger side of his front Dana 30, and the Suzuki broke ALL of the bolts holding on her passenger-side hub, several of which missed me by inches as I was only standing a few feet away at the time. Anyway, she was ok to keep going with one hub unlocked, and the CJ continued on, but only in 2-wheel drive the rest of the way, and he had to be strapped up a few ledges throughout the trail.

We kept going and got to Mirror Gulch, my personal favorite. I had so much fun climbing those ledges! No problems at all for anyone.

We stopped and ate lunch up at the Overlook, I think it's called Arth's Rim. It was such a nice view and we had fun just kicking back for a while.

After lunch we coninued on to Widowmaker, where only 2 of 7 vehicles attempted, and they were the same 2 who successfully made it up Rock Chucker. Once again, half of those attempting it actually made it. The Zuki stalled halfway up the first ledge, and he had to let out the clutch and let the starter roll him up the rest of the ledge. Cheater. :) Anyways, after several unsuccessful tries, the TJ decided to just take a strap, so the Suzuki did it.
After that, we had an appearance by "Super Dog", aka our dog, Gunner. Our dog LIVES for playing fetch. So, somebody picked up a stick and threw it down to the bottom of Widowmaker, and Gunner went tearing after it. He got to the top of the bottom ledge and once he realized how far of a drop it would be, slammed on the breaks, but not fast enough. He flew off the ledge, doing a believable Superman impression. It was quite amusing for all of us, although judging by the looks he was throwing us, we don't think he was nearly as amused as we were.

No problems after that, except shortly after Widow, the TJ that had to be strapped up suddenly was having steering problems. After a closer inspection, we found that he somehow had split the steering box end of his pitman arm. He had to leave his Jeep on the trail to run home and retrieve his truck and trailer.

So: 7 vehicles went in, 4 came out unscathed, 2 limped out, and 1 had to be left behind.

Overall, it was fun, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Pictures coming soon! ;D

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
jmaxj said:
lookied like it was fun for you guys i was in the red cherokee that caught up with ya at rockchucker than left ahead :great day :)

So you guys made it out unscathed? Good lookin' XJ. We were in the blueish/purpleish XJ.

RockMonkey said:
Who made the pitman arm, outta curiosity?

Don't know, I assume it was stock.

chans

Last time I've done Widowmaker was 1yr ago. Has it gotten that much more difficult since then?

Inyon98

JP's Moab Cutie?
Actually, it was my first time, but from what I've been told by other people who have been on it, it hasn't changed much in the past couple of years. It's just that first ledge! :eek:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I remember a few years back we pre-ran MM for a grand cherokee event. I made it up with open diffs and 33's first try, but when we were there 3 months later, I was one of the only ones to get up it (by then I was 1000 lbs lighter so it was much easier) amongst a group of built ZJ/WJ's with lockers etc.

I think the bump is key. The guys that were more familiar with the 'moab bump' got up it, but the guys that didn't commit to it just made it hard on themselves. it's deffinately not a SWB obstacle though.

Cody

i'm not trying to say I'm cool for making it up--I think it hsa been dug out a lot since then and I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it if I had open diffs and 33's again.

Last edited: