Moab EJS Challenge: From P4x4

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Original Here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450779

Last year while attending EJS, the Moab paper ran an article about a local Green activist that was picking up the trash of the bad 4 wheelers every morning during EJS. She had been cleaning up the trash left behind at potato salad hill. My wife and I thought it would be great to beat her out there and pick up all the trash so she could not use the opportunity to get some media attention portraying us in a negative way. With EJS just around the corner we again started talking about last year’s story in the paper.
My family and I have made the commitment to be at potato salad hill at sun up on at least one day during safari. I talked to Scott Parker from Rock Buggy Supply at the TDS safari this weekend and he has committed to joining us with his family as well.
I would like to challenge the off road community to help me by committing to take one morning out of your vacation, get up at dawn, and clean the trash that is left behind.
I had planned to just head up with trash bags and clean it up before any green activists had the chance to get publicity but we can make this as big as people wish. I’m not looking for anything out of this other then to not read about some one out side of 4 wheeling cleaning up after the bad seeds in our community.
I understand that the spring break crowd has a lot to do with the trash but they are going to EJS because we are there. So the way I see it we can ***** about it or try and make a positive change. I will not be hanging out at Potato salad hill as it’s not the environment I want my kids in. Some folks on this board might be into hanging out there and for those of you picking up trash during the day might send a better message. What ever you can do let’s try and keep the bad press to minimum this year.
Please spread the word of my challenge to what ever boards you frequent. Maybe there is a business or group of businesses that would like to donate a prize for the most trash. I’m open to about anything you guys want to do on this. I have a friend that lives in Moab so I considered trying to pool money for a large dumpster, but I am afraid it would get filled with camper’s trash. What are your thoughts and ideas on this subject?

Jeff Knoll

Jeff Knoll and family as well as Rock Buggy Supply will take Thursday morning.

I think this is an excellent idea and we should all join in as well! Why not make it fun while were at it, we can play while we clean up. :cool:

Bone Down

I won't be there, but I would suggest that you all wear shirts that show whom you are representing or the greenies will use the photo's and put their usual spin on them...

If you all were shirts that are highly visible and indicate what club, BB, or what not you support then they can't not question who is taking the initative to assist in the remedy of some of the problems that occur during EJS.

However I still suspect that SUWA will take the clean up and still add spin to it no matter what we do.

1995zj

I'm addicted
Bone Down said:
I won't be there, but I would suggest that you all wear shirts that show whom you are representing or the greenies will use the photo's and put their usual spin on them...

If you all were shirts that are highly visible and indicate what club, BB, or what not you support then they can't not question who is taking the initative to assist in the remedy of some of the problems that occur during EJS.

However I still suspect that SUWA will take the clean up and still add spin to it no matter what we do.

Shirts is an excellent idea ;)

camicaztoy

i'll be there from tues night trough sun. tell me when and were. i'll bring friends. i also like the idea off the dumpster. i'd be willing to pitch in. if it gets filled with campers trash thats fine. it still beats them trowing it on the ground.

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
EXCELLENT IDEA! In the past, my friends and I have hung garbage bags from the front of our rigs and parked at the bottom of the hill on big saturday, and that seemed to work out well. (Last year 18 bags were filled) I will be there with 4 other rigs on big saturday (April 15) all day this year, so I would be stoked to be part of this!! I wonder if there is a place that can make plastic garbage bags that say RME on the side! I will look into this, there must be a place somewhere, then we could hand out RME garbage bags all day, and drop them off at the dump on the way out. Or maybe just some 55 gallon drums with RME rattle-canned on the side with a stencil. I would be willing to empty them periodically througout the day as needed. I may be able to bring a car-hauler style trailer that we can load up with bags as the day goes on. Last year it seems like there was a big dumpster at the top of the hill, but the rest of the area still got trashed. I am envisioning a huge banner that says RME down the side of the trailer, parked at the bottom of the hill, with 55 gallon drums all around and a trailer full of 55 gallon bags...the wheels are turning.

Last edited:

Stone Crawler

Pretty cool when you get a call saying your idea is spreading. Just found out about you guys through a couple phone calls. I think its great that people are willing to set aside a little time and try and make a difference. I hope that there are more sites out there that have the same interest that you all have shown.

I am trying to make a master list of interested parties so we have some sort of record of our good deeds and make sure we have every day of safari covered. If you know of other sites with interest can you please have them add there names to this site

http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47144

The host of this site has been so kind as to make it a sticky at the top of his general discussion forum.

I have been in contact with two residents of Moab who are willing to try and find contacts or resources for this challenge. Currently my biggest hurdle is logistics for a clean up that is two states away.
Finding a location to dump the removed trash, the possability of a trash bin on site, and the legalities of this clean up are my current tasks.
As we get a little closer I will attempt to get some one to supply trash bags.
I did look into getting something printed on trash bags but the cost is too high. for this short of planning time. Maybe next year something like that could be done.
I'm just one guy with an idea at this point and don't have the resources for an all out big event. I am confident that there are enough responsable 4 wheelers on the web that this can make a possitive impact. Its an honor that you have found an interest in my idea.

I will be in Moab from the 6th to the 16th heres a pic of my car if you see me around town or out on the trail please say hi.
Jevne136.JPG

Jeff Knoll

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Good to have you here Jeff!

I'm willing to pickup the costs on the garbage bags, on behalf of RME. I don't know that I'll be there for the Jeep Safari, but I'm sure we can arrange someone from here to get the bags.

Mother Deuce

Greg said:
I'm willing to pickup the costs on the garbage bags, on behalf of RME. I don't know that I'll be there for the Jeep Safari, but I'm sure we can arrange someone from here to get the bags.
So far, the 12th is the earilest arrival date that I've seen so we'd be honored to get bags from A to B unless someone else is getting there before Wednesday.

Any word on tee-shirts? If there aren't any available from U4 or RME, maybe we can get a sponsor? 4-Wheel Parts hooked me up with some free giant-sized tees at Christmas time. Something like that would work and it would be easy to get RME screened on the back by EJS?

Happy to help in any way I can.

Stone Crawler

EJS 06 Challenge
Potato Salad hill

I would like to thank the volunteers who gave a few hours of there time to clean up after the party at potato salad hill during Easter Jeep Safari. I can not begin to list all the people that showed up during the week as I was not there more then Thursday. I can say that I know we had most of the later part of the week covered and a great turn out on Thursday. Included in the group on Thursday where multiple rock crawling teams, Warn, Banks power, Crawl Magazine, Rock buggy supply, I believe a rep from Primedia, Moab adventure channel, and Pro Comp tires. Pro Comp even brought trash bags and handed out a few Tshirts. Jody and Sara Everding from Raw X Racing even ran over to Hells revenge and retrieved a mattress and old tire to have taken to the dump.( I doubt that a 4 wheeler dropped that out of his Jeep.) I was honored to see so many people out picking up trash at sun up when I know damn well they had been out late the night before. This project was originally done to keep the bad press off the 4 wheelers but as I became more involved I learned a thing or two about some one who had only what was seen at potato salad hill and looked at that behavior as an example of all 4 wheelers. I think the quote went something like this “My perception of off roaders had been shattered, my faith in humanity has been restored”. Sara Melincoff . Sara was amazed at the turn out and impressed by the amount of volunteers that came out during Safari. I get the impression that she no longer sees 4 wheelers in the same light as she did the year before. I learned that by working together we found a common thread. I don’t believe there are any 4 wheelers that truly want to destroy what we have in Moab and know I can say we made the first step in convincing some one that we are not what you see at Potato Salad.
The right people are looking at what we have done this year and thinking hard about the future. Moab adventure channel (MAC21) spent all morning filming and doing interviews for next years programming. I imagine that Samantha will air what she has all year. As soon as the dust settles from taking 10 days off work I will start work on next years challenge. I hope to draw more media attention and expand the efforts out side of potato Salad hill to some of the trails that looked a little worse for wear during Safari. It was shame that we still found trash on every trail we ran.
I hope to raise funds to place recycle bins at the ends of a few trails that are accessible, and expand our clean up efforts at Potato Salad hill. It was fitting that we where on a hunt for trash during Easter Jeep Safari as the clean up turned into treasure hunt with some great finds including an ice chest full of ice, multiple wrenches and sockets, a full unopened bottle of Budweiser beer, a Buck knife, 2 screwdrivers, and a trailer ramp.
I hope that you will join us next year for what I hope will become an annual event.
If you where out there please post up your name, the day you where there and any treasure might have found. I am sorry I don’t have a complete list of volunteers so hopefully we can start one after the fact. Great job guys!

Jeff Knoll

olywrestle

Duct Tape
That rocks and is awesome all the participation and sponsors that helped out.

Makes me think about the SUWA article that was just posted for the Trib, and this is an awesome way to start changing people perception.

That said, I think it is that time of year for come major cleanups at 5 mile pass and little moab just to start

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That is so cool. Had I been down there for EJS, I would have taken part. THANK YOU to everybody who was involved! This is a huge step in saving our sport/hobby and our access to land! :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :cool:

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
We found that asking people to pick up their trash when we saw them just drop it worked wonders around us on Saturday, we only had to do it twice. I'm sure being on first name terms with the Sheriff's deputies didn't hurt our cause any either.