Moab Swimming Hole

Swoop69

something seems off with that picture.

I agree. I dont think that pic is the same as what I am thinking of....

If the watering hole you are refering to is the one that is about a mile from the parking lot, then you take a left canyon where the river merges, I was there in june and this is what it looked like.....

Above the falls there are several cascading pools with grass around them....

WateringHole31.jpg

WATCH OUT FOR POISON IVY. IT IS ALL OVER THIS TRAIL!!!
One year I got bit pretty bad. It didnt show up till a few days after we got home....
PoisonIvy1.jpg

Last edited:

Swoop69

There are some cool pools on the Kane Creek trail twards the end.... not quite as much water flow, so they were a bit slimier than some others. the kids still had fun, and we were the only ones there....

Sorry no pics...

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
The picture is Lefthand.

As for the poison ivy, I've never had any issue with it, lived in Moab just shy of 40 years now. In fact I only know of 2 places it exists along the trail to Lefthand. But if you can't tell what it is and stay out of it what you get is what you deserve IMO.

Swoop69

I am good at learning things the hard way.

When we went this summer, there were warning signs posted, with pictures of what Poison Ivy looks like. When this happened, 6 or 7 years ago, there werent any signs. Besides, I was just a dumb kid, excited to get to the watering hole, not paying attention to the trail.

jpest

Anti-Social Networking
I agree. I dont think that pic is the same as what I am thinking of....

If the watering hole you are refering to is the one that is about a mile from the parking lot, then you take a left canyon where the river merges, I was there in june and this is what it looked like.....

Above the falls there are several cascading pools with grass around them....

WateringHole31.jpg

WATCH OUT FOR POISON IVY. IT IS ALL OVER THIS TRAIL!!!
One year I got bit pretty bad. It didnt show up till a few days after we got home....
PoisonIvy1.jpg

ouch:eek::eek: That looks painful. I did not know there was a plant capable of doing that to the human body. What does a venomous plant like that look like anyway?

Swoop69

The picture is Lefthand.

As for the poison ivy, I've never had any issue with it, lived in Moab just shy of 40 years now. In fact I only know of 2 places it exists along the trail to Lefthand. But if you can't tell what it is and stay out of it what you get is what you deserve IMO.

So being a local and someone who knows what to look for, are there leeches in any of the pools and streams around Moab?

When we were on the Kane Creek trail, near the end, we noticed tons of little black worm looking things attached to the mossy rocks. We thought they might be leeches or mosquito larva. When you would brush up agains the rocks they would stick to you, but didnt seem to ever latch on. I did some google searching when we got home, and couldnt quite identify them.

Nasty little plant. I wouldn't have thought it was be in Moab.
Yeah, it wasnt fun. It was several years ago, but I remember the blisters and rash lasting about 2 weeks. Apparently I am more allergic than some people.

Obviously I didnt think poison ivy would grow in the desert, but it is right by the stream. I posted the pic to help keep others out of it, not to show my lack of outdoor experience.

Last edited: