Moab Trip 09

zkeys

All,
I just got back from a nice little week in Moab with my parents and 2 year old son.
First 2 nights we stayed at the Hamburger Rock BLM campground at the Canyonlands end of Lockhart Basin Road.
IMG_0059.jpg

On the first day I took the Titan on Elephant Hill. It is not the obvious choice for this type of wheeling but it held its own.
IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Just barely. Matter of an inch or two.
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

zkeys

The next day I met up with Al from CO4x4.org and a couple of his friends and we started up Beef Basin. I made it to the Salt Creek overlook but I was getting some clanking from my front end, so I decided to head back to camp to see what was up.
Salt Creek Overlook
IMG_0165.jpg

Did not find anything obvious on the truck so we strolled down to Indian Creek and let my son throw some rocks. His favorite pastime.
IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

Later that evening we packed up and headed to Slickrock Campground in town.
The next day I met Al and his buddies for Hell's Revenge. One of Al's friends happened to be George Breakall who is somewhat well known around town. So, I got to wheel with George which turned out to be quite a memorable experience.
IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

The next adventure was down and up Hell's gate, where I was in my first jeep flop.....

zkeys

So I hopped in the passenger seat with Dick, one of Al and George's friend, and headed down Hell's Gate. The CB crackles and it is George telling Dick he might want to remove his mudflaps, and Al warning that I should check for body damage on the vehicles of the people I ride with. I shrugged off the advice, and ended up on the ride of my life....
IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Tipping...
Sideways.jpg

Tipping....
Tipping.jpg

Over...
Tippedover.jpg

We only went on our side, but it felt like we were going down... Just like on this video that was going through my mind as we were tipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWJa6FC7-E

There was just a little damage to his door frame, and his top ripped a little bit. Oh, and he bent his mudflap. :) We both had to climb out of the jeep, and as soon as Dick got out he stated. "So other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"
So here is the video I took from inside the jeep. It is a little long but just wait it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hQyaNgV_w

I have a video of the recovery but my slow DSL is giving me fits uploading it to Youtube.
Anyways, here is more video of some of the guys who helped us get the jeep back on its wheels. The first guy came up in a rental who had unknowingly followed us down Hell's Gate, and asked somebody else to drive it up. The last is George Breakall coming up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtMQ3x7IWz4

Here are some more shots from Hell's. Mainly on the Escalator.
IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

zkeys

Awesome! Looks like a good time :cool:

Did you travel here from Ludlow Falls? Just curious my wife is from Canton/Akron.

I did travel from Ludlow. Just about 1600 miles right on the money to get to Hamburger Rock Campground.

I am actually amazed as to how many people I meet who either have ties, or have grown up in Ohio. Lots of people eager to leave! :eek:

I stopped in a gas station in the middle of nowhere Kansas at like 430 AM, and I was wearing an Ohio State shirt. The clerk at the gas station asked me if I was from Ohio, and come to find out he grew up only a few minutes from where I live.

Small world!

Zack

Jesser04

Isn't the far left line on PS George took not susposed to be taken? I keep hearing conflicting opinons. My understanding is that is not to be drivin on.

Last edited:

Jesser04

I just don't understand why everyone is up in arms over walker Evans going off the trail but people could careless if George does. Can someone please clairify what is legal and wasn't isn't on PSH. In the video he clearly drives over the rocks onto the far left line. If that is a legal line my bad.

Last edited:

zkeys

how was lockheart basin? it looks like it has some cool scenery.

We did not get out to Lockhart. We camped at the end of Lockhart basin road near Canyonlands. The creek we traveled to was only a 1/2 mile from our campsite, so we were only down Lockhart road about 2 miles. From the creek it was some nice scenery, and I have heard the road is spectacular. The only downfall is that it is somewhat long and remote.

Thanks,

Zack