Modular / Manufactured homes opinions

MattL

Looking at maybe moving and wondering about any experience of pre manufactured / modular homes.

I see the biggest con with them is that they typically are just ugly, square boxy and what not.
I am sure that the resale value is potentially not as good.

What are other cons or pros?

blznnp

My brother has one for his vacation home, really nice. It really wasn't that ugly, maybe it was the way it was put into place, but he picked out a nice looking one. It wasn't a cheaper one, but it was nicer than our home that we had at the time. I don't see a problem with them, other than the resale value. We thought about buying some land and putting one on until we could build our own, but for the amount it was going to cost for all the under ground work to get done, buy the land, get the home put on, we were better off buying a house. that was also trying to stay somewhat close to where we were living.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
They are what they are.

They are cheaper for a reason. But having said that....they will do their job just fine. I wouldnt hesitate getting one if it was where I wanted to be.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
As I understand it, they can be a lot harder to get a loan for. You want to make sure it is attached to an actual foundation.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
There is a lot of variety in "modular" construction, ranging from the old-school 2-halves, trailer-style stuff, to some really cool houses that are made of "modules and just go together faster, and are plumb and square, etc etc.

I like THAT style of modular house. :D

MattL

Thanks for the info so far.
I too am concerned about the foundation on the place i had in mind.
The one in question seems to be a 2 half version. Definitely not going to win any beauty pageants.
On a different subject, who in the valley is a good source for home building?
Anyone know what cost per sq is these days?

MattL

Tons of homes out there but none really in our price range where we are looking.
Actually its kind of out there by you on the other side of the mountain.
Our house is paid for and we don't want to go into long term debt again.
So we are hoping for something similar to what we could net on the sale of our current house.
The modular is something we really had not even considered until seeing it today.
Anyone have real estate contacts in Tooele county?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
The only way I'd buy a modular (NOT mobile) is if it was built on a permanent foundation (crawl space) and it were built to IRC code, which meets standards for stick-built homes. A modular built like this will have 2x6 walls and will allow for more a higher insulation value, saving your energy bill in the long run.

In the end, once you've spent the money to build a modular the right way, you're at the same price point of buying a nice, stick-built finished home of the same size, in the same area.

We have researched this thoroughly, ended up buying a stick-built home and couldn't be happier. I'd agree with Tacoma, there have been so many foreclosures in the last several years, the market should be flooded with great deals. Take your time looking, decide what you want & don't want and determine your price.