Montezumas tunnels in Kanab to be erradicated...

e28bimmer

Historic tunnels in Kanab to be destroyed – Corey Shuman, GRE, Inc. April 5th, 2008

http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_8792457

There are a series of tunnels in Kanab that have long been associated with the Aztec empire and hidden Spanish gold. The area has never been mined, however it has been excavated. It’s an Indiana Jones type of adventure but its real, and it’s in our own back yard. In 1914, Freddie Crystal rolled into Kanab, Utah, with a map, a map he claimed would lead directly to a piece of the horde that had been stashed by Montezuma hundreds of years ago. He showed the map around, looking for information on the surrounding country. Almost everyone who saw the map recognized the area in question as “White Mountain” and pointed him in that direction.
Once in the area, Freddie immediately found signs that he was in the right place, Aztec writings littered the area, and the map directed him right to an ancient set of stairs cut directly into the mountain. He followed the steps up to a sealed entrance, and from that point, the hunt was on. He went back into Kanab and announced that he had found what he was looking for, but now needed help in excavating the site. The townspeople rallied and nearly emptied the town of Kanab. They broke through numerous blockades in the mountain, encountering deadfall traps and other perils showing that these tunnels were not meant to be accessed by anyone but a descendant of the Aztecs who knew how to disable the pitfalls. The excavation went on for almost a year, clearing deadfall after deadfall, finding relics and ancient items, but never the gold. Finally, with the tunnels all reopened and no gold found the townspeople went back to their day to day lives and forgot about the tunnels up in Johnson canyon.
Brandt Childs remembers: “ "It led into a big room," he says, "but all they found was just bones of mules and a few artifacts. No gold. But then they found another tunnel and it had a plug in it too. So they dug it out."
At the end of the second tunnel, the gold seekers came upon still another cavernous room in which they discovered a large human skeleton propped in a sitting position. "They called him Smiley," recalls Child, "because he looked like he was smiling."
No one else in the room was smiling, however, because there was no gold whatsoever-only a handful of pre-Columbian artifacts plus a sacrificial altar, "where they'd tear the hearts out of men and throw their bodies over the cliff." Also, the ashes of ancient campfires, "with human fingers all wrapped in bark, ready for roasting, and human legs, and things like that."
Great story, right? Pack up and you’re all ready to go check out this area. However, this brings Gold Rush Expeditions in to the story, in the beginning of April, almost like an April fools joke, the Department of Oil Gas and Mining (OGM) announced that they were going to begin operations shortly to “reclaim” this mine site. “What??” This isn’t a mine site, it’s an obviously a site of historic and archeological significance. Add to that the site isn’t a mine, or anything close to it, its origins date back to the times of Cortez, Montezuma.
So then WTF is the OGM doing down there. Well, it’s the latest of a long line of intrusions from the OGM, destroying what little is left of Utah’s history, mining and otherwise. GRE has been advocating for years that this organization either needs to be removed, or revamped to help preserve the amazing historical sites that Utah has to offer. The OGM was founded to reclaim coal mines, and is funded from coal mine money. But, in the opinion of GRE, it’s not that interesting to close up coal mines, so why not move into hard rock mines, and historic sites? Areas of historic significance are being destroyed, while the open abandoned coal mines across the state, the ones that OGM should be addressing, are being left open with no attention. And in the case of the tunnels in Johnson canyon, these sites are not well known, and so it’s easy enough for OGM to step in and destroy the sites forever.
So what now, will OGM be successful in their bid to destroy this site next? There is a push from Doug Powell of the Grand Staircase Escalante National monument to “reclaim” these tunnels. And if uncontested, this historic area will be destroyed by these groups that are supposed to protect our resources.
GRE will be spearheading an effort to stop this closure, but we need your help. On April 11th, GRE will be heading down to Kanab to meet with area historians to document and tour the site. We welcome anyone who would like to join us for this excursion. In addition will be writing letters to the Grand Staircase Escalante Monument management, the Division of Oil, Gas and Mining and the Kane County BLM to voice our opposition to this destructive initiative.
If you would like to help, please email info@goldrushexpeditions.com for more information on how you can help. If you have any contacts in the media that can help to bring publicity to this issue, please let me know.Your history is being eradicated now, and you need to make your opinions heard now to stop the destruction.
Thanks for your time and efforts.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
The 11th, huh? I'll be off. What's required to access the site, vehicle wise? I'm interested in checking it out & supporting the fight to keep it from being reclaimed

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Dang! I wish I was closer!! I'd love to see that!!!!!!! I really wanted to get out with your group while I was in Utah, but never made it and now I'm really sorry I didn't. Post up pics!! And if there is anything I can do from 1200 miles away... ;)

Don B

formerly rebarguy
The 11th, huh? I'll be off. What's required to access the site, vehicle wise? I'm interested in checking it out & supporting the fight to keep it from being reclaimed

I was out to the site yesterday. Easy dirt road, last 1/4 mile is a sandy climb that requires 4 wheel drive.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
when and where will you be leaving the SLC area on Friday?

I hope to not take away from the main purpose of this thread, but after a google search i found this added info fascinating:

The search for Montezuma's treasure continues in the Kanab area. Legend has it that when the Aztec king, Montezuma was killed by his own people in Mexico in the 1500's, and the spanish Conquistadors were driven from Tenotchitlan, the Aztecs took their treasure and hid it from the Spaniards. That was 400 years ago.
In 1914, Freddy Crystal arrived in Johnson Canyon, just north of Kanab. He had a newspaper clipping of Mexican petroglyphs he thought indicated that Montezuma's treasure was hidden nearby.

Six years later, the entire town of Kanab was living in tents at the head of Johnson Canyon digging for the hidden treasure. After two years there was still no sign of gold.

In the spring of 1989, Grandt Child came up with another theory. He decided that the real hiding place was not in Johnson's Canyon and the signs in the canyon were a ploy to divert attention from the real hiding place. Child believes the treasure is in the lower pond of the three lakes chain, six miles north of Kanab on Highway 89. He found an Aztec treasure sign, a circle with an arrow pointing down, carved in the rock 8 feet above the water level on the wall above the lakes. The site fits the criteria for an Aztec treasure hiding technique, called a "water trap."

Tony Thurber, friend of Child's, made a dive to explore the lake. Under the treasure sign he discovered a tunnell about four feet wide and seven feet tall that appeared to be handmade. When Thurber got 30 feet into the tunnel, he was disoriented and couldn't tell if he was going down or up, or in or out. He said he got caught in a heavy draft and was afraid he might get swept into an underground river.

He finally found his way out. He went down again with a tether line attached, but surfaced. He got concerned when he found the line limp rather than taut as it should have been. The person holding the line said it had been taut the whole time.

On June 22, 1989, Thurber returned with three professional divers. The divers got 70 feet back in the tunnel. Their sonar equipment showed the tunnel was 100 feet long and ended in a room 80 feet in diameter. Detectors registered heavy metal at the end of the tunnel. It was late, so they quit for the day. That night Russ, one of the divers, had a dream. In the dream he swam back to the cave, an Aztec warrior with a spear was waiting and threw the spear at Russ when he surfaced.

Russ was the first to go down the next morning. At a certain point in the tunnell, he started screaming that someone was grabbing and choking him. As he was pulled from the water he appeared white as a sheet. Another diver went down and had the same experience.

The divers left and returned in two weeks. They experienced the same choking sensation in the tunnell and had to be pulled up. The diving crew did not dive in the lake anymore.

Childs decided on a plan to drain the lake. To his surprise, the pond happens to be the only known habitat of the Kanab Amber Snail. The property was fenced off by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Then in December of 1991, 11 geese were mysteriously placed in the pond. The gaggle of geese was accused of eating the Kanab Amber Snails. The agency decided to capture the suspects and force them to vomit. After gathering the evidence, the geese were donated to an animal sanctuary. Killing one of the endangered snails is a serious offense and carries a fine of up to $50,000 per snail. No one came forward to claim the geese.

Is this the end of the search for Montezuma's treasure, or just another attempt by the spirit of the Aztec warriors to protect their treasure until the arrival of "The Chosen Ones?"

Information courtesy Southern Utah News, June 27, 1990.

Last edited:

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
when and where will you be leaving the SLC area on Friday?

I hope to not take away from the main purpose of this thread, but after a google search i found this added info fascinating:

:eek:

Anybody want to go for a dive, I have my PADI card ready to go!!

Mope

Lets go! You first, I'll be right behind ya!
While we are there, we can drag these morons trying to close this place down there with us.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Child, the owner of Three Lakes passed away and the place is now up for sale. Buy the place and get your own Aztec treasure.

Obviously the Johnson Canyon treasure cave and Three Lakes along with all the stories of Aztec teasure are a very big part of Kanab history, folklure and culture. It would be a real crime to destroy the treasure cave.

e28bimmer

4x4 preferred...pardon the copy and paste.. but heres the info.... I’m leaving draper (point of the mountain exit) at 8:00am on Friday. I’m meeting a few people down there who know the area pretty well. So we should arrive around 1-2pm. Then head right up the canyon. I’m staying at the Shilo inn and then planning on a full day Saturday to photo and explore the site. I’m heading back on Saturday late afternoon. As far as 2wd vs. 4wd… unknown at this point. I’ve heard the sand is soft and that’s the majority of the problem. The rest should be easy. I’m not opposed to a group drive down as long as we have a good bit of speed. It shows about 5.5 hours to get from Draper to Kanab so if we average 10 above the speed limit we should be able to shave a little off that.
LMK what you think and what would work out easiest for you. Oh and if you have others coming, let me know, I will bring stickers and shirts for everyone. 

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Corey,
I'll see you at the site Friday or give me a call if you need anything. (435)819-0061
1:00 to 1:30 arrival time in Kanab sounds about right. (don't speed between Panguitch and Hatch)

The road up Johnsons Canyon is paved, the tunnel site is probably less than two miles off the pavement, a 2 wheel drive could make all but the last 1/4 mile, but I'd recommend 4 wheel drive only to the site.

I'll get Canyon Country 4x4 behind this for sure and do whatever is needed. We appreciated your getting involved in this.

Thanks, Don Black

e28bimmer

hehehe. Don, I will give you a call when we are rolling in. We are planning on meeting up with another local guy by the name of Bob. and then we are meeting the county commisioner either Fri on site or Saturday, amazingly, he had no idea the tunnels were on the list to be reclaimed. And as a side note.. we got a little desk time with Huntsman next week thanks to some well connected people who are also interested in this closure.. :) the more support, the better!!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
hehehe. Don, I will give you a call when we are rolling in. We are planning on meeting up with another local guy by the name of Bob. and then we are meeting the county commisioner either Fri on site or Saturday, amazingly, he had no idea the tunnels were on the list to be reclaimed. And as a side note.. we got a little desk time with Huntsman next week thanks to some well connected people who are also interested in this closure.. :) the more support, the better!!

Sounds like a good step in the RIGHT direction! Hopefully this works and one of these days I can get down and visit them. Otherwise, I may never get to see this awesome place :(

Don B

formerly rebarguy

Excellent!
Which commisioner? Mark?

LEBOWSKI

I'm new around these parts so I've been doing some searching on Montezuma’s treasure. I read an account from a guy that recently went to these tunnels and he wasn't too impressed with what he saw. He claimed that they were filled with sand except a couple that didn't go in very far. Some of the accounts that I read claimed that the tunnels didn't exist until the local settlers dug them. I'm not trying to downplay this, the history of the site is great. I wonder if someone has smiley sitting in their barn somewhere.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
The history of the site is what it's all about. I was out there last Sunday, I didn't go in very far, some others went in farther than I did. I doubt the story about them being filled with sand. Some of the tunnels were dug by locals, but the claims are that there were tunnels and chambers already there and however you look at it it makes for some interesting history. The place is well worth the effort to protect.

I think smiley got a job with the government and now is in charge of one of the land management agencies.