Montrose Co. RV park Info PLZ.

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
A group of us are headed to Montrose for a week this coming June. most of us have Motorhomes/campers and will be staying at an RV park. Looking at websites, I am leaning towards Cedar creek RV. Any other insites from people that have stayed in Montrose?

neagtea

Supporting Member
Montrose RV resort behind the red barn resturant. I don't have the number as it is in my Mtr. home. I will get it and post up.

lineforeman99

It is the old KOA. It is located on Cedar Street on the north side of Main Street. Cedar is just west of Red Barn resturant. There is also a campground on Rose Lane. It is farther east of Red Barn on the south side of Main. Turn south at the bowling alley and go about a block. These are the only two in the city of Montrose. You can also dry camp at the parking lot on Rim road.

ID Bronco

On the lines of this trip, what things are there to do in the area for the non- wheeling part of the family? Day trips, fun activities for little kids & my wife? Any imput would be great.

Thanks

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Go to Ouray and walk around, it's not far at all... there's a neat mine tour that into the Bachelor-Syracuse mine, just outside of Ouray. It's a tourist trap and somewhat expensive, but they take you by 'mine cars' into the mountain and it's pretty cool.

http://www.bachelorsyracusemine.com/

If you don't mind a little more windshield time, drive over Red Mountain pass into Silverton and do the same, lots of cool stores to see and fun places to visit. Everyone should spend some time in the San Juans!

You could also check out the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, beautiful area about 30-40 min out of Montrose.

ID Bronco

Thanks Greg, That is helpful I am trying to sell my wife on it.

Anyone else?

Is Telluride worth a whole day to visit or is it pretty quick to see/do it all?

roverrocks

Telluride is definitely a good day trip. Walk through the downtown stores, cafes, and shops. Take the gondola ride up/down from Telluride to the upper ski area and shops. Kids would love the gondola ride. Go to the east end of town and either drive up the easy gravel road to beautiful Bridal Veil Falls or hike up. Drive south on Highway 145 up to beautiful Lizard Head Pass. Stop at beautiful and large Trout Lake along the highway. One can picnic beside the lake. Also Silverton which is 60 miles south of Montrose on Highway 550 which is the Million Dollar Highway is a scenic fun town. Lots of good cafes. One might see the Durango/Silverton narrow guage train in town as it makes it's daily runs between Durango and Silverton. Lots of fun to ride this train. In Ouray which is 35 miles south of Montrose make it a point to swim in the large Ouray Hot Springs pool and also to visit the Box Canyon Falls on the south side of Ouray. Very nifty falls and short walking trail at these falls. Back in Grand Junction the Colorado National Monument is not to be missed. Has a very scenic paved road running for miles through the Monument with numerous overlooks. If anyone really, really gets bored in Montrose then there is always a last ditch, desparate trip to Walmart. Yuch!!!

roverrocks

Like Greg said the Bachelor/Syracuse mine tour is lots of fun as you ride in small open air cars wearing provided rain slickers as the old mine drips water. Kids will love it and adults too. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP is just east of Montrose and is a very deep, beautiful canyon well worth seeing. Many overlooks. Drive down the Portal Road just inside the Park entrance and you will end up way down beside the river. Also 20 miles east of Montrose along Highway 50 is a tiny place called Cimarron, CO where there is a very short paved road to the north which takes you to a beautiful spot along the Gunnison River with a hiking bridge over the river and you can see a large dam just to the east on the river. Going another scenic 20 miles farther east of Cimarron along Highway 50 takes you to the largest lake in Colorado called Blue Mesa Reservoir. In Montrose itself there is also a municipal swimming pool complex with inside and outside play areas and an outside water slide kids love. The Ute Indian Museum a mile south of Montrose along Highway 550 is also a fascinating stop for local history.