More Desert Therapy

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Postponed until the hippy is feeling better.

Might go for a solo run Monday if anyone is off and wants to join. Should probably spend the weekend with the wife.

Bart

So I read the Swell Therapy Report and always suffer from FOMO on trips like these. I think I already know the answer, but how bad would this trip be in my mostly stock Ram 1500 with street tires and vulnerable running boards?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So I read the Swell Therapy Report and always suffer from FOMO on trips like these. I think I already know the answer, but how bad would this trip be in my mostly stock Ram 1500 with street tires and vulnerable running boards?
I'd do it. No that's not true, I'd throw on a cheap set of AT tires and then I'd do it.

I can't speak to the section between Fuller and I70, I missed it entirely. Andrew did pick up some rock rash at one point in there but I didn't see it so I don't know if it got a little spicy or if he just lost his line. From I70 through Copper Globe to Capitol Reef you'd have been fine. You'd drag hitch in a couple spots and probably surf those running boards through a sand berm or two, but careful line choice would get you through without too much risk of rock rash. Once we got into Cat Canyon it was pretty smooth sailing, and the roads on the other side are literally that, no drama there at all.

The tires would probably be the biggest liability? We did hit some ice here and there and a couple deep sand patches where you might have struggled, but that's what the good lord gave us yank straps for.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I'd do it. No that's not true, I'd throw on a cheap set of AT tires and then I'd do it.

I can't speak to the section between Fuller and I70, I missed it entirely. Andrew did pick up some rock rash at one point in there but I didn't see it so I don't know if it got a little spicy or if he just lost his line. From I70 through Copper Globe to Capitol Reef you'd have been fine. You'd drag hitch in a couple spots and probably surf those running boards through a sand berm or two, but careful line choice would get you through without too much risk of rock rash. Once we got into Cat Canyon it was pretty smooth sailing, and the roads on the other side are literally that, no drama there at all.

The tires would probably be the biggest liability? We did hit some ice here and there and a couple deep sand patches where you might have struggled, but that's what the good lord gave us yank straps for.
Andrew kissed rock on a bad line. He backed up a bit and went right around it.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
@Bart as Kevin said think you'd probably be okay 99% of the road. Couple spots your steps might incur some damage. If you have some P rated tires have some spare :) though I see subaru's all over down there so maybe new P tires are better.

FWIW condition wise for those looking to adventure. Buckhorn wash is 99% dry with a few moist/ice spots where the road is right next to the cliff and gets no sun. Cane Wash is dry. Fix it pass is moist and more moist the higher you get. Head of Sinbad Area just south of 70 has some very wet spots. About 300 yards of my 190mile journey gave me a red paint job. Just north of Reds Canyon it starts to dry. The further east you go the dryer it gets. Temple mountain area is dry. Cottonwood draw has some moist spots but overall pretty dry.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
@Bart as Kevin said think you'd probably be okay 99% of the road. Couple spots your steps might incur some damage. If you have some P rated tires have some spare :) though I see subaru's all over down there so maybe new P tires are better.

FWIW condition wise for those looking to adventure. Buckhorn wash is 99% dry with a few moist/ice spots where the road is right next to the cliff and gets no sun. Cane Wash is dry. Fix it pass is moist and more moist the higher you get. Head of Sinbad Area just south of 70 has some very wet spots. About 300 yards of my 190mile journey gave me a red paint job. Just north of Reds Canyon it starts to dry. The further east you go the dryer it gets. Temple mountain area is dry. Cottonwood draw has some moist spots but overall pretty dry.
That's more moists than I've seen in a single post in a long time! You probably could have snuck one or two more in there, but very impressive overall!