MTB Store/Parts Recommendations?

73fj55

I Know Turd Ferguson
About a year ago I bought a Trek 3700, so far it has been a decent bike, no big issues to complain about. I was riding it last night and I taco'd the out and middle crankring. I have Suntour SR? on it now and I am thinking of upgrading to a Shimano or Bontrager. Anyone know of a good place to find these for a good price? Or any other brands?

thanks

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
backcountry.com sells biking stuff. they just started another site similar to steep and cheap called chainlove.com if you're patient I bet you'll find what you need.

jdub

Scrambler
Of course the Trek store in Lehi is great, Too stiff for my liking. Timp(they lost their Trek franchise) and Bike Peddler are ok, Parish the manager is Rad. I used to work the Mad Dog locations in orem and Provo. They are very reliable and have everything in stock as OEM replacements. I'm at Fezzari.com in Lindon and have all aftermarket ordering capabilities. We do orders every week. I also have alternative upgrades as well-we do higher grade components-provided that you don't want any more taco issues.

73fj55

I Know Turd Ferguson
Of course the Trek store in Lehi is great, Too stiff for my liking. Timp(they lost their Trek franchise) and Bike Peddler are ok, Parish the manager is Rad. I used to work the Mad Dog locations in orem and Provo. They are very reliable and have everything in stock as OEM replacements. I'm at Fezzari.com in Lindon and have all aftermarket ordering capabilities. We do orders every week. I also have alternative upgrades as well-we do higher grade components-provided that you don't want any more taco issues.

I spoke with Wayne at the AF TREK store. Nice enough guy, pretty entertaining, he told me that he could get me a Shimano crankset for $30 or Bontrager for $70. I think that this would just be a stock replacement and could be prone to another taco incident. I would rather spend the loot for something that won't do this. Thoughts?

jdub

Scrambler
I ran a Truvativ Blaze powerspline for two years all over the country. Provided you'd have to purchase the splined bottom bracket to go with it, it's worth it. It's like doing a clutch job while you have the tranny out. Not a big fan of bontrager especially in that price range. Shimano is a good gamble. Both seem decent for the bike. Hands down shimano though for the two. I'm positive you could do the truvativ full set up for under $100(need specific bottom bracket).

73fj55

I Know Turd Ferguson
Really though, you want to ummmm NOT HIT YOUR CHAINRINGS!!! Not a one of them is all that tough.

It's a bit embarrassing.....I am 6'5 just over 300, trying to lose some weight, family likes to ride bikes and I pull my little kids in a trailer. Any way I was in too high/low whatever of a gear and went to push down and POP.....it taco'd. I guess thats what you get for being a fat fawker.

jdub

Scrambler
BIG GUY! You're what they like to call themselves in the clidesdale category. Honestly bikes are built for the general public- therefore making it tough for guys like you wear yourselves out before you beat your bikes. We have a 6'9'' 290lb guy on oue of our bikes that has gone through almost all of his components in 2 years. His frame though hasn't even shown signs of wear.

jdub

Scrambler
Yeah shifting is where most chainring blunders happen. Shifting under a load makes for bent teeth or like in your case the whole chainring.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Guthrie's can help you, though since they closed the main store I am not sure about hte other ones.

Are you talking about the one on 700 E and 2100 S? They just moved up the street a few buildings (east). Or did they close the downtown store? They're a great store!!!

Go-Ride is for the hardcore DH'ers...