Mud Flaps??

chans

I heard not only do you have to have mud flaps but if you have wider tires that stick out past the body you need fender flares too.

cyberduke

Hairy Bagel
chans said:
I heard not only do you have to have mud flaps but if you have wider tires that stick out past the body you need fender flares too.

I got a fix it ticket on my truck for that. The tires have to be completely covered. I put on some Warn ones.

-Earl

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
When I tried registering my XJ in November they wouldn't pass me. :( So I talked to a friend and he told me of a shop to go to and they passed me, but warned me I might get a ticket. Well, I haven't yet, luckily.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Mike_Lib said:
Have Addifan post some pics of the ones I made for his grand right before I sold it to him.

I'd be really interested in seeing those, I'm having a bit of a hard time finding a way to put decent mud flaps on with the Trailready, and the Trailready leaves all but the top 1" of my tires exposed. :ugh:

kirk86CJ

I got a single big mud flap from Napa for about $8.00. I cut it in half. I got a piece of 1" angle iron to bolt to the flap. (3 bolts with fender washers) For my disconnect, I went to metal supermarkets and got a couple pieces of sch 40 1/2" pipe, then a piece of rod (I think 9/16 or 3/4) to slide inside. Welded a piece in between to connect the angle iron to the rod. I welded the pipe to a flat piece (2"x2") against the frame with a hole in it to bolt to the frame. When I take the mudflap off, I have a 8" piece of pipe running out from the frame in front of the rear bumper.
Clear as mud?

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
Check out www.trailflaps.com , that's about the only bolt-on kit I've seen. It's not too hard to make your own, but the design will vary by the type of vehicle. I made some using basic steel stock and some flaps from Pep Boys ($20/pr). I got pulled over recently 'cause I forgot to put them back on after a wheelin' trip, but the cop saw where they attached and let me off.

attachment.php

utahxj

"Quit job & go wheel'n"
I've been pulled over three time in Bountiful for no flaps. The cop also said I needed flares...I've got both now but what a pain! And it wasn't cheap either!

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
Simply the dumbest law ever. :rolleyes: When was the last time you got hit by a rock from a passenger car! Semi-trucks yes. Cars ........... get real. I never failed people for mudflaps. At least I've got buddies that will take care of me know that I'm not wrenching anymore!

James K

NO, I'm always like this
chevtech said:
Simply the dumbest law ever. :rolleyes: When was the last time you got hit by a rock from a passenger car! Semi-trucks yes. Cars ........... get real. I never failed people for mudflaps. At least I've got buddies that will take care of me know that I'm not wrenching anymore!

all my windshields have been taken out by passenger cars.

but NEVER by someone with a lifted 4x4.

I don't understand the law, other then to make revenue.

Unless the flap is a inch off the ground and mounted far enough behind the tire it won't catch it. :rolleyes:

I mean come on how often does a golf ball sized rock or bigger hit your windshield. Its more likely to be a little pebble that is launched out from where the tire makes contact with the road.

James K said:

I don't understand the law, other then to make revenue.

Unless the flap is a inch off the ground and mounted far enough behind the tire it won't catch it. :rolleyes:

I mean come on how often does a golf ball sized rock or bigger hit your windshield. Its more likely to be a little pebble that is launched out from where the tire makes contact with the road.

Guessing you liked the old lift law better?

Jeez, what a bunch of whiners. Give and take, man. That's what we had to give. I have had rocks flipped at me by cars, trucks, flaps and no flaps. Didn't see the big deal. It meant a lot to the grannies on the legislature that are afraid of lifted trucks.

Play the game. Your points are valid...so be happy we were able to skate with the halfway down deal rather than to the ground.

utahxjer

James K said:

Demonjeep claims I flung a rock at his windshield, but I think he was just trying to get a new windshield out of it -_-

JF1

utahxj said:
I've been pulled over three time in Bountiful for no flaps. The cop also said I needed flares...I've got both now but what a pain! And it wasn't cheap either!

I got pulled over on I-15 between Farmington and Kaysville for no mudflaps and my XJ only had a 3" lift and 31's at the time. It's all good though. It is a small concession for what was gained when the law was passed.
Btw, I got my mud flap quick disconnects from here:

4 Plus Mfg

A little pricey but I'd imagine many of you could build your own using this design.

ALF

SURE!?
JF1 said:
I got pulled over on I-15 between Farmington and Kaysville for no mudflaps and my XJ only had a 3" lift and 31's at the time. It's all good though. It is a small concession for what was gained when the law was passed.
Btw, I got my mud flap quick disconnects from here:

4 Plus Mfg

A little pricey but I'd imagine many of you could build your own using this design.

got any pics they aren't avail. on the link you posted.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Broncoman said:
and Provo and anywhere U.H.P. hangs out ... brown shirts don't have anything better to do

:rofl: It's true. I drive down to Provo 2-3 times a week, driving 85 most of the time and have not been pulled over for speeding in the past year I've been making the drive. And yet I drive the Jeep 6 blocks from one shop to another and get pulled over by UHP on a small residential street.
:rolleyes: I'm such a criminal. :rolleyes:

nvrstsfyd

Donating Member
I would like to know how you guys even got fix it tickets? I got pulled over in Worst Valley twice in 2 days for no mudflaps, front plate & he did not think you could see my rear plate on the bumper well enough either. :mad2: The first time I was parked at the light & the officer was next to me and someone ran a red light right in front of us, he let him go & waited fot the light to change and pulled me over instead. :mad2: Then I called to see if I could get a fix it ticket they told me Worst Valley does not do fix it tickets. :mad2: I guess no mudflaps are more dangerous than someone speeding through a red light at a busy intersection. Ok I'm done I just wanted to vent!