Mud Flaps

RKCRWLR

Well, its time to comply I guess. Looks like from my searches on here that my options are build 'em, Teraflex Plus, or trailflap.com. Any other options that you know about?

Thanks!

Caleb

make some yourself. That's very easy to do, I'll actually be making some for my TJ on the next short while.

BTW, what kind of vehicle?

bradm

shameless posing...
I just went to Checker and bought some cheap mud flaps and then self tapper screwed 'em into my rear bumper... kinda redneck, but works for me. Much cheaper than spending $80-$100 for the pre fab stuff from trailflap or RRO.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
make them :)

I have about $25 bucks in mine and they have quck dissconnects so I can take them off at the trail head.

RKCRWLR

They are for an LJ. Making them is looking a lot better. I got big time sticker shock pricing them. I own a Jeep so i am used to getting screwed (you know, Just Empty Every Pocket), but its hard to justify not making them based on the prices.

Thanks!

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I had the same thought. No way I was going to pay $85 for something I could make myself. I can throw up some pics if you need ideas.

Caleb

When I have a few minutes I'll draw something up in Sketchup and you'll see how easy it should be. The basic parts are 1x1 angle iron, some small tube, some small solid bar, a small bit of flat plate, a small bit of square tube, and a cotter pin of some sort for the quick disconnect. You can get all the parts at any hardware store for I bet <$15-$20.

1993yj

My way is a bit more expensive, maybe $30 total, but for the disconnect I use air line connectors. They don't rattle like the cotter pin method. I posted them up on another thread a while back.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I had about $15 into mine. They were absolutely NOTHING fancy, and definately not permanent, but good enough to pass inspection!

1 rubber mudflap cut in half, long way, to the width of th etire
2 small pieces of angle iron about 2' long
several hose clamps to clamp the rubber to the steel, and the steel to holes in my bumper.

I've seen some really nice ones done with a trailer hitch pin and some cold roll... Definatley more thought into them and a more permanent solution.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
i'd like some idea pix

When I have a few minutes I'll draw something up in Sketchup and you'll see how easy it should be. The basic parts are 1x1 angle iron, some small tube, some small solid bar, a small bit of flat plate, a small bit of square tube, and a cotter pin of some sort for the quick disconnect. You can get all the parts at any hardware store for I bet <$15-$20.

Here's mine........Extremely talented fab work required and VERY expensive to recreate :D

Attachments

• mudflap-mount.jpg
    mudflap-mount.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 23
  • mudflap-mounted.jpg
    mudflap-mounted.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 29

1993yj

I can't seem to find the old thread where I posted pics, but I just helped my brother do some the other night, so I can get some new pics posted if anyone wants

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Six states sells the semi truck mudflap brackets for like 15 a pair, then the flaps I got from sap brothers on sale 2 for 10 bucks:D Then I just cut them down

Caleb

the way I'm going to do mine could work with the air discos as well, infact I think I will use that so I don't have to try and drill a hole through round bar :D

We made some for my dads truck. Bought the flaps at a truck stop and then went to Lowes hardware and got some angle iron that ran the length of the flap. We then drilled thru the angle Iron and thru the flap useing 3/8" bolts, washers and lock washers. 3 on each side. and welded a 2 pieces of chain to the Angle Iron to serve as a mount for the quick release " D-Rings/Carebeaners".
The D-Rings were attached thru the bumper by way of a hole we drilled. You can get D-rings at a backpacking supply place, or outdoors sporting goods store.

You can put on or remove them in under 20 seconds. Thats quick release and they ran us like $25 to build.

Hope that may work for you. Its cheap and easily removeable.

Last edited:

1993yj

Finally posting up pics of my mud flaps. The first one kind of shows how it is hooked to my bumper. The second one shows how the flap itself is attached to the square tubing with the female air connector on the end. Pics 3 & 4 aren't too clear, but I just drilled a hole big enough for the threaded end of the male part of the air connector, and put some loc-tite and a nut on the back side. And the last pic shows what it looks like from behind when its on. You can never even see the connectors, not that it matters.

Attachments

• mud-flap.jpg
    mud-flap.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 13
  • mud-flap2.jpg
    mud-flap2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 14
  • mud-flap3.jpg
    mud-flap3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 11
  • mud-flap4.jpg
    mud-flap4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 13
  • mud-flap5.jpg
    mud-flap5.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 10

Badger

I am the Brute squad
why not just have the square stock slide over or into another piece of square stock or round stock .then use a standard K pin for a receiver pin.i can just imagine those air fittings getting clogged with fine sand and rusting away with salt.

i used hitch pins welded to the bumper then round stock slips over that.

348mudflaps4-med.JPG

before welding on some washers for the flaps to be bolted on
348left-on-med.JPG

the hitch pin welded to the bumper
348rightside-post-med.JPG