My 2000 KTM 640 Adventure R

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
More and more lately I've been wanting a true adventure bike. Over the last few years the ATK has done an outstanding job at being both dirt bike and dual-sport but it's still a dirt bike at heart and don't want to try and change that. My wife was onboard with me getting another bike......... that opportunity doesn't come around often :eek: :D. I knew what I wanted and after seemingly endless searching I finally found one:

I picked up this 2000 KTM 640 Adventure R over the weekend. Very clean for its age and with just over 8,000 miles on the odo it should have a lot of life left.

I can't wait to get some time in the saddle. Plan on updating this thread with trip reports and modifications to the bike.

photo_zps39aytatk.jpg

photo-2_zpsbrl3kypt.jpg

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Aahhhh, Andrew... you suck!! Congratulations, that's a killer find and it looks like it's in great shape. I've always wanted a LC4 Adventure, I thought KTM hit the nail on the head with that bike!

rholbrook

Very cool. There are to guys in my neighborhood that went last week on a 1,000 mile trip and stayed in Utah. It looked like a ton of fun. I've been thinking about renting one for a trip to see if I would really like that kind of riding.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Thanks guys :cool:

Well this week is dragging by and I'm pretty sure I have to work saturday :rolleyes:

New bike, no time to ride, eff......

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I was finally able to put some miles on the KTM today. Rode about 65 miles of highway from my place to Soda Springs Idaho. From there I hit the dirt and rode gravel roads, fire roads and two track back to my house. Around ~100 miles on the ride back. The ride was a lot of fun I worked my way through a mountain range east of Georgetown Idaho that I had never been in. Great scenery!

Impressions of the bike so far have been very-very good. Probably go over all that when I get some more time.

Overall the 640 Adventure seems to be just what I needed. Looking forward to the next outing :cool:

photo%202_zpsx7v8o5h0.jpg

photo%201_zps1lzhdgsq.jpg

photo%203_zpsgypaqav1.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member

Greg

Admin

I agree, can't decide if orange or black would look better. Thoughts?

The big huge mudflap thingy isn't quite doing it for me either. I'm thinking the Tusk (or similar) would look better along with having a much brighter light. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/25859/Tusk-L.E.D.-TailLight-Brake-Light-Under-Fender

I love a Supermoto front fender on a Adventure bike, they so much smaller and hold less wind on the highway. I'd vote for black as well.

I had that LED light on the back of my old WR450 and thought it was a good light. Don't remember it being *super* bright, but still plenty of light.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Thanks guys :cool:

Went for a nice loop through Southern Idaho yesterday (holy smokes it's hot outside :eek:). Impressions of the bike so far have been very good. Zero head shake, feels like it's on rails even in the loose gravel. I fell in love with the 50mm WP 'extreme' forks on a previous bike and this one is no different. Love the forks!

The weight is likely my biggest complaint. At 330 lbs it's around 50lbs heavier than my ATK and it's not loaded down with all my gear yet. I can't complain too much it is well balanced and much lighter than some of the other bikes in this genre. I'll get used to it I'm sure might take some time. I love how low the fuel/weight is carried in the massive 30L tank.

It's been said some LC4's will rattle your teeth out on the highway and others not so much. This one definitely has a buzz to it at speeds over 60mph. It's not bad... It's not great :-\ for a thumper I guess, but I have a feeling it would be annoying if I decided to ride it for several hours on pavement.

Short term needs/wants:

-I made some 1.5" bar risers last week (super easy) and it made a night and day difference for the better.
-Looking at getting a more dirt oriented front tire. I love IRC front tires so I'm thinking I'll give the TR8 'battle rally' a try.
-Need a headlight lens cover. One headlight is discontinued and the other costs a small fortune.
-Internal main shaft support bearing (swap ball bearing for stronger roller bearing). These have been known to grenade on some LC4's and I don't want to risk it.
-Get the heated grips working. All I see is a crappy ground location and an unplugged power wire. No idea where it plugs into...
-Seat... wow what seat?? Might go with a Guts foam like I did in the ATK for now. Open to ideas though.
-Throttle pull is a little heavy. Cables, throttle and carb linkages are clean/lubed. Thinking a clamp on cruise control thingy might be a good idea.

Good times :cool:

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
I'd highly recommend a Seat Concepts replacement foam & cover. I have had several and they're MUCH more comfortable than factory seats and the price isn't bad either. - http://www.seatconcepts.com/products#!/KTM-640-Adventure-1997-2002/p/11367350/category=1671352

I have a Renzaco Racing seat on my 990 the previous owner bought ($$$$$!!) and it's good, but as affordable as the Seat Concepts seats are, I may try one of theirs too and see if it's better than the Renzaco.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Thanks Greg I'm putting the Seat Concepts on my to do list. I've noticed suede is a popular material on the SC and Renzaco seats... Is it just me or does suede seem like a bad idea? Maybe I'm missing something.

Speaking of seats... I met up with the head mechanic/long time desert racer of ATK last year and while we were talking bikes I asked him why they used such an unforgiving (seriously hard as a 2x4) material on the ATK seats. He said something along the lines of: F@$#! if you're sitting down you ain't ridin' fast enough!! LOL :rofl:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Efff..... Somehow I knew this was going to happen. Having buyers remorse big time :-\ hopefully I snap out of it.

My lower back is a pos and it's been killing me lately. Not cut out for long motorcycle trips and I knew better. The KTM fell off its side stand and literally destroyed the expensive crash bars to the point they won't work. One time use I guess :rolleyes: I keep thinking I should have gone with an EXC.

Greg

Admin
That sucks Andrew, hopefully you can get over it and still put the 640 Adventure to use! As clean as that bike is, it wouldn't be hard to get your money back out of it, if needed. And if you do decide to sell it, keep me posted. :D

Sucks about the crash bars... the crash bars on my 990 have bean BEAT UP and while far from straight, they still do the job.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Started building a rack extension at work tonight. I like the Touratech unit so I made something similar. Should work alright..

photo-8_zpsaxjgrv1b.jpg

Last edited: