My 2000 KTM 640 Adventure R

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Went for a fun ride to the north shore of the GSL. Mostly pavement (~170 miles) but it was a blast and my back held out fine which really changed my outlook on things. Besides the rock hard seat the only thing that sucked was the throttle pull. I mentioned earlier the action is quite heavy and my wrist is paying for it. I'm guessing it's the spring on the carb because the cables, throttle etc all are in great shape. Looking at a few of the cruise control options trying to decide what will work best. Other than that I'm really liking the 640A it's a hoot.

Got me thinking about circumnavigating the GSL later in the year. Maybe hit up the Newfoundlands for camping. Anyone interested? So much to do so little time lol.

Crappy iPone 5 pics...

photo%202-2_zpsdtqjjalx.jpg

photo%201-2_zpsh67aouam.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
The new rack looks awesome, nice work! Good to hear about the recent ride without back issues! How are the vibes from the engine, reasonable?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I also suffer from bad back. I can ride about 20 minutes before the pain starts. If I wear a good kidney belt I can go for many many hours. I also raised my bars a few inches, which allows me to stand up straight and be comfortable. I can ride all day without issue.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
The new rack looks awesome, nice work! Good to hear about the recent ride without back issues! How are the vibes from the engine, reasonable?

Thanks! The vibration isn't bad.. but it's definitely there. The only time I really notice it is on pavement from about 50 to 60mph. Spending all day/several days on pavement at that speed might pose a problem.

I also suffer from bad back. I can ride about 20 minutes before the pain starts. If I wear a good kidney belt I can go for many many hours. I also raised my bars a few inches, which allows me to stand up straight and be comfortable. I can ride all day without issue.

Oh man it sucks doesn't it! I made some 1.5" risers but I'm starting to think I should go with 2" instead. Good call on the kidney belt, I've been riding with a Valeo back support brace (without the suspenders) for a few years now. It's basically a kidney belt with a more supportive back section. It's been a life saver :D http://www.valeowork.com/?id=10&prodId=146&CatId=40&Parent=33

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Well that was short lived. After beating myself up over it I decided to keep the KTM and I'm very happy I did. Went for a loop through southern Idaho (again :eek:) with a long time friend of mine. He's hasn't rode in at least two years so we took the scenic/easy route to Gibson Lakes. Too much fun! I'm going to start taking more pics..

For the record I wouldn't recommend flooding the engine on a kick start only dual carb XR600R. Oh--my--goodness--- :ugh: :sick:

photo-10_zpslkb2yaxm.jpg

Greg

Admin
Smart man!

I was talking to a friend about back pain and riding motorcycles, since the pain is new to me. He suggested visiting a good massage therapist before the ride, to loosen up the back. I'm going to give it a try soon!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I'm still new to the motorcycle camping thing. My favorite things to do are camp, ride motorcycles and explore new places so I'm still trying to figure out what took me so long to combine all three. I loaded up my tent, sleeping bag, some mountain house a few odds and ends and then hit the road.

photo-13_zpsngxizuoj.jpg

As I started riding north the wind started blowing like crazy and the temperature was dropping fast. I rode through Soda Springs and over Tin Cup and while the scenery was great I kept pulling over to add layers and warm up a bit. That night I parked next to Palisades reservoir which borders Wyoming. I was surprised to see a normally very large reservoir drained so low it was the size of a river.

After a little scotch and cold pizza I went to bed. The bed roll... oh yeah that's at home because I forgot to bring it.. worst night sleep ever! I stayed warm through the night so that was a plus I guess.

photo-14_zps7m8aii0x.jpg

I woke the next morning to find frost covering everything. Temps were in the low 30's.

photo-15_zpsxm6dbj0k.jpg

I loaded up and rode to Alpine WY for breakfast and coffee. I have to say my grip warmers were my favorite part of the trip so far. They really took the edge off.. Until they suddenly stopped working :rolleyes:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
From Alpine I headed west towards Caribou mountain then south from Grey's lake. I've been wanting to explore this area for some time now. I was surprised how many gold prospectors there were in the area. One group even had a mini dredge that was super cool. There's not much left of the Caribou city ghost town aside from its great gold mining history. I definitely need to spend more time in this area. There were single/two track trail markers everywhere I looked.

photo-16_zpszubxjbnm.jpg

Wide open spaces of southern Idaho.

photo-17_zpszto2ptiq.jpg

photo-18_zpsnxsp79wd.jpg

Anyway it was a really fun trip! Something like 400 miles most of it being on dirt. I probably would have stayed another night if I would have remembered the bed roll haha. The bike was trouble free aside from the grip warmers. I found a crappy connection on the switch so hopefully it's going to be an easy fix. I will be ordering a new foam from Seat Concepts as soon as I can.... even with KTM's 'comfort' seat it was downright brutal at times. Other than that I'm in love with the 640 it was in its element on this ride and it was an absolute blast :cool:

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
New chain and sprockets :cool: After searching around I found a part number for KTM's 'hard parts' steel rear sprocket. It looks to be high quality and for $30 it was an inexpensive alternative to some of the other options out there. I went with the stock 16-42 gearing which seems to work great for the riding I've done up to this point.

photo-19_zpsih1qwjnc.jpg

I pulled the rear linkage down to inspect the bearings and such. I think this is the first used bike I've ever owned that did not have blown out linkage bearings or seized bolts lol. Everything looked great!! Added fresh grease and anti-sieze where needed.

photo-20_zpssfr3gwc0.jpg

Greg

Admin
That ride you did looks like the perfect route for a 640 Adventure, just what it was built for! I love seeing you out & about on that bike, it's a neat one and worth hanging onto!

Awesome news about the swingarm bearings! That thing is still new with the low miles, you've got some work to do. :cool:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Tonight I pulled the engine apart far enough to remove the clutch assembly. I was hoping to see----crossing my fingers----if someone had already changed out the original main shaft bearing. If the LC4 has an Achilles heel it is probably the main shaft ball bearing on the 02 and earlier motors. In 03 KTM started using roller bearings instead (that also fit the older motors) which greatly improved reliability.

Nope :( it is the original ball bearing that's for sure. It looks ok but I'm not taking any chances with it.

It's a blind housing meaning I'm going to have to grab onto the bearing somehow and yank it out with a slide hammer or something... It's also ~$100 for a stupid little bearing :ugh: Oh well still cheap insurance I guess.

I love seeing you out & about on that bike, it's a neat one and worth hanging onto!

Thanks Greg :cool: I had a hiccup there for bit but after the ride through ID/WY I definitely plan to keep it around and put it to good use.

Tonkaman

Go do it! I rode two days this weekend and it was great. I'd be too scared to ride the roads right now though, they are super icy.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I adjusted the valves on the KTM yesterday and went for a short ride. Scored the tank bag for $45 bucks the other day. It looks brand new :cool:

I'm thinking about riding out to Zakistan one of these days if anyone wants to join. Might spend the night in Devil's Playground or something.

IMG_3814_zpsla21hzuf.png