My buggy

jgb

It's not a high horsepower, high torque, 4WD with monster tires but it does pretty good.

I own a Ridge Runner buggy, it is powered by the Polaris 700 EFI engine with a CVT trans with high and low. It has Fox shocks with 13 1/2" inches of suspension travel and the rear end is spooled. The only mods that I have done is some clutch tweaking, a cold air intake, installed the 800 header pipe, and hooked up a Power Commander EFI controller.

Attachments

• Rock climb 01 Moab.jpg
    Rock climb 01 Moab.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 100
  • Rock climb 02 Maob.jpg
    Rock climb 02 Maob.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Moab07-03.jpg
    Moab07-03.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Moab07-04.jpg
    Moab07-04.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Moab07-08.jpg
    Moab07-08.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Lockhart Basin trail.jpg
    Lockhart Basin trail.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Awesome, that looks like it would be real fun! What Moab trails have you done with it so far? I see you did PSM, where are the first couple pictures from?

jgb

Thanks for the comments, it is a lot of fun.

The Moab trails I have done are:

Poison Spider
Hell's Revenge
Kane Creek (lower)
Kane Creek (upper, to Hurrah Pass and out to Chicken Corners)
Part of Lockhart Basin
Behind the Rocks
Fins and Things
Gemini Bridges

The first couple of pics was pass Gemini Bridges leading into Gold Bar I think or Golden Spike trail, we passed some Jeepers and stated talking to them and they said if we could get up that rock we should be able to do the trail. So two of us went down the rock turned around and went back up. It was getting late though so we headed back the way we came.

A group of us are going to the UTV Rally in May.

We also want to try the Rubicon Trail.

jgb

Here are a few more pics:

Attachments

• By Chicken Corners.jpg
    By Chicken Corners.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Behind the Rocks-Roller Coaster.jpg
    Behind the Rocks-Roller Coaster.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Hummer Hill 1.jpg
    Hummer Hill 1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Start of Hells Revenge trail.jpg
    Start of Hells Revenge trail.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Tip Over Challenge-Precarious situation Moab 01.jpg
    Tip Over Challenge-Precarious situation Moab 01.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Kane Creek- breakage.jpg
    Kane Creek- breakage.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Here are a few more pics:

Damn, pictures usually don't do justice to an obstacle, but that 2nd photo is a pretty nasty climb! Do you throttle up those hills & hope you make it, or is there enough traction to climb it pretty steadily? How about airing down the rear tires, have you guys tried that? I see there's a winch on the front of yours... very cool. I would love to have one of those buggies, they look like fun!

That first pic is about halfway into Gold Bar Rim. Coming up that wall is the hardest part of the trail.

Ahh... I it see now.

jgb

Without having the pull of the front tires and depending on the obstacle and the traction, you got to rely on momentum sometimes or to try and bounce the front up and over. Or just hit it and punch it, hoping you do not flip backwards. If I hit a truly vertical step, forget about it though, my front tires can not "crawl" up it.

Being that it has ATV tires with a softer compound than say a typical Jeep tire, the traction afforded is much better. I run about 7 PSI. Some times you have to throttle out and sometimes you just keep it steady.

The very first two pictures of that rock climb we had to throttle out, rear tires spinning most of the way, short but steep and slick.
Going up Hummer Hill and the Roller Coaster we kept it steady, steep but lots of grip.

That last picture, my two front ball joints sheared and the only thing holding my front tire on was my brake line and one bent tie rod. I actually drove it out five miles on three tires to the main road. We ended up doing more damage than the initial event but you got to do what you got to do.

Last edited:

jgb

very cool. I would love to have one of those buggies, they look like fun!

There are three used ones for sale at this time that I know of, one in Michigan, one in California, and one in Arizona. PM me for more detailed info.

For a new one check out their site or call 208-463-4411. They are in Nampa ID. Be warned that a new one is expensive.

I bought mine new in '05 and they were a lot cheaper in price then.

Last edited:

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
There are three used ones for sale at this time that I know of, one in Michigan, one in California, and one in Arizona. PM me for more detailed info.

For a new one check out their site or call 208-463-4411. They are in Nampa ID. Be warned that a new one is expensive.

I bought mine new in '05 and they were a lot cheaper in price then.

1 mile from my house, actually, I drive by the "factory" 40x100 shop daily.

jgb

Again, thanks for the comments.

Of all the off road vehicles I have driven this has been the funnest. Of course there are some negatives, I would love to do the White Rim trail in Canyonlands but no non street legal vehicles are allowed in a federal park.

Last edited:

jgb

Went to the UTV Rally last week, we did Hells Revenge again, Steel Bender, Poison Spider again but into Golden Spike up to the Golden Crack, and Cliff Hanger.

Here is a pic of me going up the Launch Pad, and yes I did make it. The nose came off the ground when I hit the upper lip and I started to veer to the left, got a little hairy at that pont.

Attachments

• IMGP0782.jpg
    IMGP0782.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

jgb

Did you go back out Poison Spider? If so, that's crazy. You were probably 2/3 of the way out if you would've continued through Gold Bar Rim.

Yes. We trailered to the PS trail head so we had to turn around and go back. Made for a long day. The next time we will start at the other end through Gold Bar and go to the Golden Crack as our turn around point again. This way we can hit the Dump Bump, Golden Staircase, etc on that trip.