My love hate relationship (w/ my truck)

81Ramchargerman

I love my truck...it is the lowest geared stock vehicle I have ever seen. Yesterday I climbed right up a dirt off camber hill that is probaby 60 deg. :D (May be slightly less or more...) I finally got some stuff squared away on it and it is ready to take to the trails!!! Anybody know what a np 2c8??? is. The ratio on my t case is 261.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
81Ramchargerman said:
I love my truck...it is the lowest geared stock vehicle I have ever seen. Yesterday I climbed right up a dirt off camber hill that is probaby 60 deg. :D (May be slightly less or more...) I finally got some stuff squared away on it and it is ready to take to the trails!!! Anybody know what a np 2c8??? is. The ratio on my t case is 261.

I don't know what a 2c8 is, but I'm betting that's a 208. Decent chain driven case, precursor to the 241.

81Ramchargerman

BTW, the reason this thread is named my love hate relat. is because of the problems I have had in the past couple of weeks with it. I am sure that anyone on here with an older truck has the same relationship. When they run good, then we love them, but the minute they break down it becomes a hateful relationship.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
81Ramchargerman said:
Are the chain driven cases any worse than otehr ones out there???

The ultimate strength available in your truck would be a 203, followed closely by a 205. I think your truck's just not quite old enough to have either of those (not that I know a lot about Dodges). The 203/205 are gear driven, iron cases. The 208 (and all it's friends) have an alum. case and are chain driven. The 203/205 have wimpy 2.0 ratios, but can be mated (kinda cheaply) for a 3 speed case :cool:

81Ramchargerman said:
If that is a common ratio, then it must be the granny gear that gets me so low...

Sounds like you have an SM420 or similar (SM 465?--if it was a Chevy, for sure) with like a 5.xx or even lower first gear. Built to drag junk around the farm :D . Good stuff, IMHO.

tv_larsen

Your transmission is an NP435, first gear is in the 6.x range. Yes, your transfercase would be an NP208. You axle gears are probably 3.21 or 3.55, really it's not that low, but it's decent.

BTW, the cast iron 203 has a gear driven range box, it is still a chain transfercase, but I'd rate it's strength right up there with the 205. The 203's chain dwarfs the 208/231/241 chains.