my new summer scooter

pELYgroso

'Merica
Another thing that I decided on doing....Where the gap is between the seat and the tank, I'm going to cover it with sheet metal and somehow rig a cup holder there. It will fit a soda or water bottle nicely.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I made some more progress on the bike. As mentioned, I decided to move the seat back which takes away the ability to use the stock side mounted hinge. I have thought about a springer seat, so i figured I'd mount the hinge on the front of the seat so that it would open to the front. I first made a quick bracket for the hinge. (don't mind my ugly cuts/welds)
seat hinge bracket.jpg

I wanted to use the stock hinge so that I could remove the seat if needed. Plus, it was free. I took the seat side hinge from the side and mounted it to the front.
seat hinge.jpg

I cut off the bike side hinges and mounted one to my bracket.
hinge welded.jpg

While I was cleaning up the frame to weld to it, I found a spare key electrical taped to the frame! Cool! You can see the electrical tape in the first picture. The key was completely wrapped, on the bottom of the frame.
spare key.jpg

With the seat attached:
seat mounted.jpg
seat up.jpg
seat mounted 2.jpg

I made a crossmember for the rubber pads on the bottom of the seat to rest on. This makes the seat stable, as the hinge has quite a bit of play.
seat crossmember.jpg
seat resting on crossmember.jpg

I think it turned out pretty sweet. I'll soon work on the padding and then have it covered. I love that this is a "rat bike" because I don't have to worry about fine details.

pELYgroso

'Merica
So, for now I made the seat "hard mounted" w/ no spring, but I'm thinking of making it a springer seat. What springs should I use? I was thinking of moving the crossmember down a little lower, welding some valve springs onto the crossmember, and then welding some tiny coil buckets onto the seat to keep it in place. I'm thinking I only need about an inch of travel. Will 2 valve springs bottom out w/ my weight too easily? (180 lbs)

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Good Sir!
I was going through some stuff and found this if you want it, you are welcome to it.

405977c3ed8ea43493ff473042201d0c.jpg

Have fun!