my tj drives like crap. help

I have a 97 tj that is pissing me off. Ill try to explain when I let my foot off the gas and then continue to go it jerks super bad like Ive never driven a stick before. The only way I get it to stop is either floor it or put. The clutch in. I put a new clutch in over the summer and just did new. Control arm bushings. Any ideas?

rholbrook

Does it have a locker in the rear? My does the same thing because it has a shot lower control arm bushings on the axle side and the locker makes it worse when I go around a corner. Going down the road does it jerk to one side when you let off the gas or accelerate? I'll get around to fixing mine before the EJS.

Xploderkid97

ive got a similar problem- not sure of the cause- i was thinking it was due to a busted shock and the adding of a SYE kit- both happened at the same time and it drove just fine before then. so if you find out let me know ( new clutch in may as well which was also at the same time as the shock and the sye kit)

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
First things first, jeeps (wranglers) drive like crap, period.

A few questions:
-Is it lifted? If so, how much, and what kit? Adjustable control arms? Tcase drop or SYE?
-How did this problem start? Was it instantly, or did the problem get progressively worse?
-When you did the clutch, what all did you replace? Did you have a good look at the tranny mount?
-How many miles are on it?

Just for fun, when you have a few extra minutes pull the rear driveshaft and take a spin around the block in 4wd... see if the problem persists.

eatrocks

Sorry but you can make them good off road and still drive nice on the road. THere is more here than its just a jeep deal with it

my jeep does have a detroit in the rear, its lifted 5.5 short arm adjustables. it has about 157k miles. only the clutch was replaced but he did say the flywheel kinda looked like crap. when i let off the gas and then reapply it jerks and there is a clunking sound. but not from the rear. i know the locker sound and this is totally different. this feels like a drivetrain problem or something loose. i do have a SYE and want to say it started doing this before we did that, but now its worse. if i rember right it mostly started off slowly after i did the taller springs and control arm.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
only the clutch was replaced but he did say the flywheel kinda looked like crap. when i let off the gas and then reapply it jerks and there is a clunking sound. but not from the rear. i know the locker sound and this is totally different. this feels like a drivetrain problem or something loose.

Did you have the work done at a reputable shop, or a buddy down the street? It kind of scares me that the person that replaced your clutch said the flywheel looked like crap but didn't replace it :-\ How long after the clutch job did the vibes start? What brand was the new clutch? Does this vibration come every time you accelerate? Only in first gear? Does it ever happen when engaging the clutch in 2nd? 3rd? Only while accelerating? Ever while decelerating?

My top 3 guesses with the information you've provided...
1- Flywheel/clutch problem created from a poor install
2- Engine mounts
3- Tranny mount

Sorry but you can make them good off road and still drive nice on the road. THere is more here than its just a jeep deal with it

Agree 100% I wasn't trying to imply the OP should just deal with the problem... It was likely my envy surfacing that I haven't had a DD wrangler in a few years :sick:

TheJeepGuy

I vote control arm bushings and rear locker issues. Every Jeep I have owned with a Detroit in the rear has had some fun driving characteristics on the road especially when accelerating and decelerating and I know TJ's do not drive well at all if all the bushings on the control arms and trac bars are not tight and in good shape. Anyway put bad bushings and a detroit locker together and I bet it will get really interesting on the road.

plans for tomorrow..... check motor mounts, actually had a problem with those a while back, and my memory has resurfaced. checking driveline, control arm bushings, tranny mount and if those fail, going for the flywheel prob.

Xploderkid97

well you gave me motivation to get off my butt and look into mine- (its been sitting in the garage since may) when i got up under it- my bolts to my skid plate had rattled loose and the small gap was the difference in the jerk- i sunk them up and it was as good as new.

good times X, i wish mine were that easy. i'm really hoping it's the bushings, they seem to be a bit warn out so i'm replacing them tomorrow. after that, the flywheel. dad gum jeeps ;)