National Public Lands Day 2005 (9/24/05) Be There!!!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
ace said:
We should meet at the crossroads and show up in force 12 minutes fashionably late.

We all need UPS uniforms for that Ace :D

I am going to stop at the Cheveron @ the crossroads at ~8:30, if people want to meet there, lets do it! :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
TK1 said:
Kurt, we'll probably see you at the Chevron. Our group from UXOC is meeting there as well.

Awesome, see you there! :D

Do me a favor Todd and remind your group that U4 dues are now only $10 per year per family (no club due anymore :D). Brought to you by "cheap" Kurt ;) I will have applications and Jeep raffle tickets with me tomorrow! :greg:

JeeperG

Just wanna say thanks to the Wasatch Outlaw Wheelers. :) Wish I could have been there...

Greens, off-roaders team up to tidy canyon
Public Lands Day: The Wasatch-Cache National Forest gets some repairs for damage done by users
By Arrin Newton Brunson
Special to the Tribune

MILLVILLE CANYON - Helping hands easily hefted a lightweight love seat Saturday morning, but when it came to moving an antique wood-burning stove, determined volunteers decided to haul the weighty cast-iron appliance with a four-wheel-drive Jeep and an 8,000-pound winch.
The unconventional moving crew found many other household items far from home in the Logan Ranger District of the Wasatch-Cache National Forest. Volunteers celebrated National Public Lands Day in Millville Canyon by picking up trash, repairing Forest Service signs, constructing a fence to thwart illegal vehicle traffic at the mouth of a spring, and tearing down a shanty.
Richmond resident Dan Miller, coordinator of the Bear River Watershed Council, co-sponsored the cleanup using data provided by volunteers who walk all of the roads in the Logan District and compile off-road vehicle impacts as part of the Motorized Use Data (MUD) project.
Saturday's canyon cleanup project was an opportunity for people who use public lands to give back and contribute to the places they care about, said Kate Stephens, program coordinator for Utah Conservation Corps, a nonprofit group that cosponsored the activity.
"For people who are going to gripe about ORV use, this is an opportunity to walk the talk and be a part of the solution," Stephens said.
Ironically, it was members of an often-criticized group - "wheelers" - who made the most difficult work possible Saturday, according to Logan Ranger District Manager Rob Cruz, who referred to members of an Ogden four-wheel-drive club as "The Cavalry."
The Wasatch Outlaws scarcely lived up to their names when they transported volunteers across otherwise impassible terrain and worked side by side to remove any sign of human presence in the forest. In his '88 Jeep Wrangler, stocked with boomerang shackles and wide, climber tires, Shaun Howard, of Brigham City, easily scaled rocks and traversed wet areas of the trail where streams seeped over their banks.
"The mountains are for all of us to use," Howard said. "There are a lot of people that come up here and abuse the mountain and those are the people that need to be disciplined."
Volunteer Gayle Knapp, of Providence, is a master gardener who said she felt really good about the day's work.
An A-frame lean-to was pulled down and dozens of logs that comprised the steep sides of the shelter were sawed in half and dispersed throughout the area to decompose.
Knapp and her husband, Bruce Copeland, are hikers and trail runners who often find more to look at in the forest than they'd like.
"We see an awful lot of general misuse and it's not restricted to the wheeled vehicles," Knapp said.
"Everybody should be careful and stay on the trails."

Linky

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Meat_ said:
How did this turn out Kurt?

Well,

I am going to come right out and be honest, I am completely
disturbed regarding the amount of effort people put forth to make it
out to a sponsored National Public Lands Day event.

The Bureau of Land Management in conjunction with State Trust lands
manages and over seas thousands of miles of OHV trails in Western
Utah, many of which are strikingly popular trails amongst wheelers
such as ourselves. The BLM rolled out the "red carpet" for
volunteers Saturday, hoping to see just a fraction of the users that
frequent the area… our showing was dismal to say the least… 20 at
the most to assist in cleaning up 40+ priority sites within the
area.

I was asked by the planner for the BLM, "why can't more people seem
to make an effort to get out here?" (take note some of the BLM staff
has been known to frequent 4x4 forums, read your trail reports,
watch you plan trips on their cleanup date, etc). What do I respond?

I must admit that my attitude is partly enraged by the amounts of
trash and debris we encountered everywhere we went! We removed seven
abandoned cars, and there were at least that many left in the hills.
Sure, it's not just the OHV crowd, but we have the most to lose, our
local trails! We are out there more than any other user group IMHO,
and we can't seem to find time to provide some stewardship over our
public lands under the eye of those that make the policies?

Lets plan for next year and show them that we care!

:greg:

Meat_

Banned
Only 20? That's too bad, historically in Utah (especially the UC) the second half of Sep and all of Oct are not the best months to plan things. You could actually tack a couple weeks on both ends for people to get some paychecks in line before/after hunting.

I assume the Sheriff gives paperwork to scrap the car? I've got an empty trailer in the driveway if someone wants to drag a car on to it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Meat_ said:
...I assume the Sheriff gives paperwork to scrap the car? I've got an empty trailer in the driveway if someone wants to drag a car on to it.

Generally that is the case, we pulled 2 out of AF Canyon last month that the Sherriff cleared for us (actually for the Eagle Scout that arranged the project with the U4WDA)...

But in the BLM cases, they have their LEO take care of all the paperwork, they just give us a GPS coordinate and a destination,they handle the rest... :)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Meat_ said:
So you just take it to the scrap yard of your choice?

How bad of places are the remaining cars?

No, I said that kindve goofy...

We just dragged them from the canyons and ravines they were in, to a spot just off the pavement that the wrecker truck could easily come snag them. We didn't actually have any paperwork in hand (other than the maps/instructions from the BLM). Up AF we had a FS Ranger with us.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Meat_ said:
Ok, so do they have provisions for going and hauling the cars out without thier presence?

Not to my knowledge, you would need to call Julie and chat with here about it, she may know of some more at this point... Let me know what you find :cool:

Meat_

Banned
That would come pretty close to pushing the limits of my laziness....

I do a lot of trail maintenance, but it's always on a whim.... when I'm in the mood ;)