South-West Utah Need advice on upcoming SW Utah trip

sdnative

Hi all,

I found this forum from a web search looking for information on the Burr Trail. I recognized Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters as he is a supporter over on IH8MUD which is where I spend a lot of my time.

Anyway, I am hoping for some suggestions. I am planning a family road trip for later this month in the SW Utah area. Only one vehicle. Focus would be Zion NP and the surrounding areas like Bryce and Kolob, possibly Capitol Reef. I wouldn't mind doing some back country driving as well, hence the interest in Burr Trail. I will have the family and the wife is not into "off-roading" so prefer more scenic than technical this time.

Original itinerary was going to be Vegas - Zion/Bryce - Page/Lake Powell - South Rim GC but we went to the south rim a couple years ago so we may skip that and look for other areas in S/SW Utah instead. Also, would like to avoid places that are CCW unfriendly. Also looking for any ham radio repeaters that have good coverage in these areas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Here's my truck.

DSC_5680.jpg

DSC_67171.jpg

Last edited:

sdnative

Thanks!

I know about the Federal Parks, but wasn't sure about the various state parks. I also posted up on ExpeditionUtah as that seems like a great resourse as well.

sixstringsteve

I drove the burr trail 2 weeks ago. It had up to 8" of snow on it in sections, but most of it was under 4".

If I recall correctly, most of the visitor's centers don't allow firearms inside them.

Last edited: