Need chassis width advice

xtremexj

I need some advice from you guys about the bracing for the outside rails of the chassis. These pics are similar to what I have planned but not sure of how much bracing to include. My former employer builds 4wd mud rails (dragsters) and he always focuses on as much bracing and traingulation as possible. Tell me which of the pics ("a" or "b") you think would be better. I am leaning towards "a" for the best side impact strength but also think it might be overkill.:rofl:

Attachments

• buggyframe6a.JPG
    buggyframe6a.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 14
  • buggyframe6b.JPG
    buggyframe6b.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

wallysheata

Mine is 50" wide, it's TIGHT but i love it cause it snakes through the rocks with out hitting the body.

IMG_5729.jpg

xtremexj

Thanks for posting up Wally. I've been following your thread on Pirate - very nice job.:cool: I think I'm going to stay with a factory CJ7 width chassis for now. This is going to be a trail buggy so I need it to be comfortable but still narrower than the XJ.

Anyone want to chime in on my question above as far as the side bracing of the outer rails goes?

chadschoon

I have a fiberglass hood and grill from twisted customs for a cj if your interested. It's 54" wide at the back and 34" at the front

xtremexj

Chad, if I was going to do the 54" wide chassis I would be tempted to take you up on that. The only problem is that the shipping would kill me. I'm going to go 59" for now and see how that goes. We'll see what happens after that - maybe a 2nd buggy strictly for running the rocks that is 54" or narrower.:greg:

BEACH

Casey Beach Racing
Supporting Member
My car is 49 but 54 would be more prefered.. Im a little guy as well. Chad hardly fits in my car as co-pilot. His new car is 54 and fits him nicely. He is really tall.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thanks for the response guys. However, I'm still waiting for someone to answer my questions about bracing from post #21. :(

In that area, I don't think you need to do the diagonals. The ladder style (although ugly but ultimately hidden) will do it's job right there. It's mostly for support against rocker bashing.