Need Flex w/ Leaf Springs. Which leaves to remove?

Brad J

I need to get more flex out of the rear of my Scout so I don't feel like I'm going to roll over again on every obstacle:eek: My original rear main spring was bent so bad that I had AAA springs make a new main leaf and cut the original main leaf ends off & thrown under. I also had the rear axle moved back 2" for larger tires. I don't want to break a spring on the trail but need the body to be more independant of the rear axle. Which leaves should I remove? The top 4 are wrapped.
Thanks, Brad
1st pic is original w/ bent main leaf. Next 2 pics were taken today at rest on level ground .

Attachments

• rear dr side under_0035sm.jpg
    rear dr side under_0035sm.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 11
  • DCP_9107sm.jpg
    DCP_9107sm.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DCP_9111sm.jpg
    DCP_9111sm.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Brad J

Check out that flex:rofl: Also the front springs are stock & should I expect them to snap really soon when flexed this bad? Should I get new main leafs made for the front? Military wrap???
Thanks, Brad
(all pictures are w/ it flexed)

Attachments

• DCP_9112sm.jpg
    DCP_9112sm.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 10
  • DCP_9114sm.jpg
    DCP_9114sm.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DCP_9120sm.jpg
    DCP_9120sm.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'd start with the bottom leaf and work your way up until you're happy. That will make a traction bar more and more necessary the farther you go though.....also makes the pack less progressive, so it'll naturally sag more if you load it up.

Brad J

I'd start with the bottom leaf and work your way up until you're happy. That will make a traction bar more and more necessary the farther you go though.....also makes the pack less progressive, so it'll naturally sag more if you load it up.

So ditch the thick overload spring 1st. I hope to avoid a Traction Bar but we'll see how it works out. Thats uncharted territory for me.

depending on the length I would look at chevy 1/2 ton springs they move very well and still don't need a track bar.

I just had some 1/2 ton springs but sold the trailer. I hope these springs will work w/ the money I have into them and the driveshaft retubing:-\

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have done the " remove a few springs" thang and it usually ends up ruining the pack.

Best option is to just buy some springs that are designed to do what you want. This may not be in the budget but it is the best option.

:D

Brad J

I have done the " remove a few springs" thang and it usually ends up ruining the pack.

Best option is to just buy some springs that are designed to do what you want. This may not be in the budget but it is the best option.

:D

:( I called AAA a couple weeks ago & told them what I wanted & they said to drop them off & they will try to get them how I want them. I was hoping to do the job myself. My best bet is probably leave it to the experts. The last thing I want is to be stuck on a trail w/ broken springs:sick:

Thanks, Brad

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
:( I called AAA a couple weeks ago & told them what I wanted & they said to drop them off & they will try to get them how I want them. I was hoping to do the job myself. My best bet is probably leave it to the experts. The last thing I want is to be stuck on a trail w/ broken springs:sick:

Thanks, Brad

The last place you want to spend your money on springs is AAA. Research springs like Ancan, Skyjacker Soft Ride, some say Rubicon Express. You can always do the junk yard for some softer springs, but that will lead to needing some fab work done to make them fit, in most cases.

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
i would hit the junk yard up

i dont know much about the set up in a scout

but my yota im running 2main leafs from a ford ranger fx4 one with the eyes
cut off. then the rest of the pack is a set of old man emu 3 in cherokee springs with the eyes cut off the main leaf.

seems to work good for flex and ride quality i can use up all of my 14 in shock travel.

smashmetal

Another tip that works is to make leaf springs a little softer is to add shims between the leafs. You do this by pulling the center pin from the leaf pack and add shim a shim between each leaf. Of course the'll be as wide as the leaf spring and usually about 4" long.
1/8 or less sheet stock works ok for this.
The science behind this is that it puts the lifting force of the individual leafs more toward the tip of each leaf instead of all the way through.