need front windows retinted to pass inspection - suggestions?

My daily driver is an Acura TSX -

Nov2010-TSXDriversSide.jpg

When I moved back to Utah last year, I didn't have to get it inspected (just smogged) due to it being a 2004; however, this year I've got to get it inspected and smogged and I was told last year that the front window tint is too dark. My tint seems pretty light to me, but what do I know? I've thought about trying to get around this, because I like this tint, but it isn't worth the effort.

Any recommendations on a good tint shop or individual that will strip the fronts and retint them to the darkest legal tint? I live in Saratoga Springs but work in West Jordan, so anywhere between those areas would be great.

Thanks,

Allan

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I think someone posted about this in the side jobs section of the forum, but about any shop with a permanent store front will do a good job. What percentage did they say you were at now?

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I have used Super Tints 3 times and have always been happy with the results. My wife's Forester had the framless windows and the tint was right to the edge and so clean you would think it was a factory job.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i'd probably take it somewhere else to be inspected before forking out the cash for new tint. i've never seen any of the inspection places i've been to over the years even check for tint. my tint is legal anyways but i can't imagine the inspection guy eyeballed it and thought it looked illegal if it is in fact off by a couple %. you went to a very strict place i guess.

i had pro tint do my '05 TSX and i have been pleased. they put that mole skin stuff on the window seals so they don't scratch the tint. they did 45% front and 20% back and i like it. it's been on there for like 6 years

i love my car
DSC00403.jpg

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
If I remember correctly, they said I was at 41%, or maybe 39%. I know it was just barely too dark per his meter.

Their meters only go to 99% and you are allowed a few percent leeway. The great thing about safety is that the re-inspection can be done at any shop for free, not just where they did the initial inspection. I went through this in June and found an honest inspection station who explained all of this to me and my tint was in fact legal.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
i'd probably take it somewhere else to be inspected before forking out the cash for new tint. i've never seen any of the inspection places i've been to over the years even check for tint. my tint is legal anyways but i can't imagine the inspection guy eyeballed it and thought it looked illegal if it is in fact off by a couple %. you went to a very strict place i guess.

i had pro tint do my '05 TSX and i have been pleased. they put that mole skin stuff on the window seals so they don't scratch the tint. they did 45% front and 20% back and i like it. it's been on there for like 6 years

i love my car
View attachment 74886

Most legit inspection stations have a light meter they put on the window to measure it, the UHP has been cracking down on tint a lot lately as to how shops inspect it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
yeah, i know they have them but i have never seen the two or three different places i've had inspect my car ever use one on it. yeah, i am "that guy" that watches them inspect my car the whole time because i'm paranoid about it. like i said though my tint is 45% anyways.

Most legit inspection stations have a light meter they put on the window to measure it, the UHP has been cracking down on tint a lot lately as to how shops inspect it.