Need ring and pinion advice

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Found a couple broken teeth on my front ring gear today, so I need to buy new gears. I'm wondering what brands people have had good luck with (or bad). Price is definately an issue for me, but I will spend a bit more if the quality is worth it.

My set-up is waggy D44, 5.38's, Detroit, with chromo shafts and CTM's. Tires are 39" Pitbull Mad Dogs. So far everything has held up well, no doubt in part because of my light weight and no power :D. The broken gear is a Yukon, installed about 5 years ago.

UFAB

Well 5 years is pretty good for a set of gears. Cyro your gear set, it makes a big difference. You would be surprised in how many relabeled name brand gear sets come from China. Finding a true set of USA made gears can be difficult to aquire.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've always had good luck with Dana gears in Dana axles... and I don't remember the price being much more than off-brands. But now that I re-read your thread, I'm not sure Dana makes a 5.38 gearset for the D44. That may be after-market only.

TEAM FRED

Yukons are great and I have also had good luck with USA gear.
Both are a avaliable from Complete offroad.
Complete will also beat anyones price!

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Thanks for the replies. I haven't done a lot of price shopping yet, but it seems like the Dana/Spicer gear sets are the most expensive ($365 at Randy's). I can find Yukons for around $250+, Nitro's at closer to $200, and USA Standard about $150. Right now, I'm thinking of going with the Nitro's.

I'm also going to get the tools to do this myself (might as well learn how, I've spent way too much money over the years paying someone else to do it!) Any tips, books, videos, etc anyone can recommend? Are any of the different brands easier to set up than others?

Thanks in advance!!!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Keep in mind the Dana/Spicer gear sets come with all the bearings, shims, pinion seal, etc...so when comparing aftermarket gearsets, add in a master install kit to the price to keep them apples to apples.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Dana's are great. Most of your superior, G2, Alloy USA, etc are all made in India now. Precision are really a great gear for the price, Yukons are great, especially with their new warranty.

Anymore, I think it all comes down to what's available and what kind of price you can get.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Yeah, I do drive it to the trails, but overall it sees very few highway miles. Besides, any highway driving is 2wd with the hubs unlocked.

Thank you everyone for the help. I went ahead and ordered some inexpensive USA Standard gears. I'm hoping I won't live to regret going the cheap route, but they were significantly less than Yukons, Dana/Spicer, or many of the others that were recommended, and I'm really broke right now! I'm hoping that my lack of horsepower, plus the fact that it is a front end instead of rear, will help them live for a while.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Too late now Jeff, but...

I'd have recommended that Jana K4 kit... swap JK 44 gears (newer bigger) into a lp44 housing

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=957491

attachment.php

Anyways I've had decent luck with Yukon gears... in my last 44 and my 60's

Last edited: