General Tech need some dana 44 schooling

im looking at buying a hp 44 from a 78 bronco retubed with crane inner C's and it 65'' wms2wms i'm wanting to put it in my tj . what are my problems gonna be ? .. also im out of town working so i dont have direct access to the tj at the moment .. thankx all :)

DevinB

I like traffic lights
What size tires do you plan on running? That's a pretty penny to spend on a D44. I hate to sound like Pirate4x4, but I put a lot of money into my D44 and now wish I would've gone with a D60 instead. The money would've been much better spent.

What rear axle are you going to match it to?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
What size tires do you plan on running? That's a pretty penny to spend on a D44. I hate to sound like Pirate4x4, but I put a lot of money into my D44 and now wish I would've gone with a D60 instead. The money would've been much better spent.

What rear axle are you going to match it to?

How much is he spending on it?

The 44 is wider than the stock rear in your TJ obviously, so Devin has a good point asking what you're matching it with in the rear. Also, the width can be a problem if you are wanting to keep it street legal. It has a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern, so you'll be buying new wheels... It is high pinion where your stock front is not, so it could cause clearance issues with your driveshaft and/or exhaust depending on your setup. There is no provision for an upper link on the driver side on the 44 like there is on your current 30, which can be remedied with fancy bracketry, or different suspension design.

My opinion is that you aren't upgrading much by swapping to the 44 over your current 30: the HP is nice, but has your current axle ever given you problems due to the low pinion? The real hubs/wheel bearings are nice, but when is the last time you broke a unit-bearing? The bigger R&P is cool, but when is the last time you had a problem with your 30 R&P? Plus, your 30 runs the exact same u-joints that the 44 has, so there is no strength upgrade at all there. In short, the benefits do not outweigh the effort, time and cost.

Keep in mind, that this is just my opinion.:)

i have a re 5.5 LA kit on the geep . already have a ford 9'' in the rear and was planning on getting a tnt truss to help expidite the swap . i hate the d30 in my geep . housing is bent a lil and i want real hubs and bearings .. plan on sticking with 35s for now . maybe 37s later . planned on new wheels . and want to keep it street legal.i dont think 60s and 35s will help me off road .

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So, are you running two different wheel bolt patterns right now, or using adapters? Is this 44 already geared and locked the way you want? Having gone from a 30 to a 44 to a 60 in the past I will tell you my wife would have been soooooooo much happier with me had I skipped the 44.

What it comes down to though, is your wheeling style. Are you sticking with the 35's because they are what you are using now? Will you buy 35's again when these wear out? Or are you just waiting to wear them out so you go bigger? You can run 37's just fine on a d44, if you have a soft driving style. If you worry for a second about breaking and being stranded in the middle of nowhere, build a 60. The peace of mind is worth every extra penny spent.

im gonna stick with 35s mine are new . and running adapters, will buy new 35s 37s when that time comes . i wont wheel hardcore . still new to crawling havent done moab yet . just af canyon and lil moab . and lil stuff around 5mile pass .. no carrier or gears in the 44 .

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Alloys and 37 are a good match.
I broke 5 unit bearings, chipped a ring gear tooth and bent a housing in my old HP d30 also.

If that 44 is retubed I'll bet it's got 1/2" wall tubes... like the 76-77 housings.

If you don't have a carrier or gears in the d44, you may want to look into the Jana54 kit.
you can put a dana 50 gearset and carrier into your 44 for just a few bucks more than a normal setup.

If you're going to street it, a 60 is a hard pill to swallow.