Need some help, someone to look at a car in Taylorsville?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I bought an older Toyota Camry for my nephew a little over a year ago... it had high miles, but ran well and was maintained well. Now it's having issues... it won't stay running at low RPM's. They took it to a shop that said it needed a new engine, but my nephew and my sister don't know much about cars and I don't know/trust the shop they took it to. The shop claimed that the camshaft and pistons are 'bad'...

Anyone that's engine-knowledgeable willing to check this car out? I'd really appreciate it, can pay someone that is willing to pull the valve cover and possibly do a compression test.... but that may not be needed. Just want someone I trust to check it out. It's a simple 4 cyl engine.

If it needs an engine, I'm not sure what to do... it's not worth much more than $1500 and I owe about half that on it. :(

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm in Taylorsville and could look at it for you. Can they drive it to me? I'm at 6200 s and 2700 w.

Greg

Admin
I'm in Taylorsville and could look at it for you. Can they drive it to me? I'm at 6200 s and 2700 w.

I'd really appreciate it, even just a quick peek at the car will help. They're saying it won't drive at low speeds, I'm not sure my nephew is capable of driving it in traffic and keeping it running. It's been parked since they learned the engine was bad. Let me ask if they could drive it.

The car is around 4100 S and 2700 W.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I could probably stop by if it can't be driven and do a compression test on it this weekend if Josh isn't able to check it out.

Greg

Admin
Sounds good, I appreciate it. We will see what Josh says and go from there.

It may need an engine swapped... I've found used ones around $350-400, anyone have recommendations of a shop that could swap an engine for cheap? :ugh:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I can get up there if they can't drive it to me. I can't recommend anyone for the swap. I'd do it, but I have a strict "must have a transfer case" policy in my garage.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
If Josh can post some pics of the engine bay or if I get a chance to look at the bay I may me up for the swap, but not sure. I'm a little limited on time during the week so that's why, simplicity depending I could or couldn't. Can't think of a shop in particular I recommend.

ill ask around for a shop though.

Last edited:

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
This is only a couple blocks from me, however I wouldn't be able to do anything till tomorrow afternoon.
What is it doing? Other than not idling, ODB1 or 2, Any CEL's?

Greg

Admin
I have a buddy that does some car stuff on the side. He's smart, responsible, equipped with tools and could handle a swap. I'll ask him if he's busy or not. He usually does auto stuff when the construction business is slow.

I may be interested, depending on what we find. Thanks!

I can do this tomorrow if they want. Have them call me at 8o1 9189784. Josh.

I know both my Nephew and my Sister are working tomorrow, not sure how late... I'll PM you his name & number.

This is only a couple blocks from me, however I wouldn't be able to do anything till tomorrow afternoon.
What is it doing? Other than not idling, ODB1 or 2, Any CEL's?

Let me see if Josh can get to it tomorrow... thanks for the help!

I didn't get much info from my Sister, she & my Nephew aren't car people and it's hard to get detailed information over the phone... ;)

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
No worries, if it's an ODB1 you can do a paper clip diagnostic, by jumping T1 and TE1 in a little black box under the hood, obviously a search would be in order for how to go about it, but that's only if there is a CEL.
On my FZJ, it went into limp mode and would only idle at 200 RPMs, codes showed it was the o2 sensor, You can also pull the ECM fuse and it will reset everything, it may run a little better till the codes start popping up again, it's a cheap check.
Best of luck

Greg

Admin
No worries, if it's an ODB1 you can do a paper clip diagnostic, by jumping T1 and TE1 in a little black box under the hood, obviously a search would be in order for how to go about it, but that's only if there is a CEL.
On my FZJ, it went into limp mode and would only idle at 200 RPMs, codes showed it was the o2 sensor, You can also pull the ECM fuse and it will reset everything, it may run a little better till the codes start popping up again, it's a cheap check.
Best of luck

Thanks for the info Brian! If I was closer, it wouldn't be an issue. We have too much going on at the moment for me to make a trip up to check out a car. :(

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm working on getting in contact with him right now. My scan tool works with obd1 and 2 so I'll check that and fuel pressure and compression if I need to.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I got over there and started it up. It has a lower end rod knock, from the sound of it. The engine is junk. I took some pictures of the engine bay and a video of it running if anyone wants to see them.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Here's the video.

[video=youtube;NxDBGanqlR4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxDBGanqlR4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Greg

Admin
I got over there and started it up. It has a lower end rod knock, from the sound of it. The engine is junk. I took some pictures of the engine bay and a video of it running if anyone wants to see them.

Here's the video.

[video=youtube;NxDBGanqlR4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxDBGanqlR4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks Josh, that's more than I expected!

Guess it's time to seriously look for an engine! :( I'm kind of torn, the car isn't worth much... not really sure what to do.