Need to buy a new tent....is there a dimension list out there on the www somewhere?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just killed my Eureka Timberline this past weekend (cot, helper, torn fabric is the story there---tough to want to fix a $200 tent that I wish had thicker fabric...) and am looking at snagging (nice pun with the cot, eh?) a similarly sized tent but upgraded fabric/construction from the Eureka. The one thing I do really like about the Eureka is the size. It's about 86" wide and fits on my flatbed trailer fairly well. I'd like to find a rectangular footprint tent that can setup in 3-5 min that's about 82-83" wide and xx" long.

Is there a spreadsheet out there on one of the Expo sites that would have tent dimensions on it? My google foo hasn't found anything of yet.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Hey, was this the Timberline 4 by chance? I might have a good T4 tent body if that's the case. Plus I have almost a dozen complete tents I need to post up.

Holy Hannah, what are you doing to your tent? Had my cheapo Coleman(?) for about 10 years I guess. 7x10ish, fits on the trailer I think, usually just roll it out on a tarp, lay down the foam, sleep, roll it all up again. Lots of cool nights in that tent, all over Eutaw.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Holy Hannah, what are you doing to your tent? Had my cheapo Coleman(?) for about 10 years I guess. 7x10ish, fits on the trailer I think, usually just roll it out on a tarp, lay down the foam, sleep, roll it all up again. Lots of cool nights in that tent, all over Eutaw.

What happens in the tent stays in the tent....

I guess you missed the part that I had a "helper" move my cot in my tent?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Hey, was this the Timberline 4 by chance? I might have a good T4 tent body if that's the case. Plus I have almost a dozen complete tents I need to post up.

I think it is. I'll verify. While I liked that tent (as much as I'm going to like a tent), I wish it was a little more 4 season ish.

ID Bronco

It won't fit on your trailer, but I use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide and it has been awesome! Great rainfly, full coverage, awesome in snow too if you are out in winter.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I think it is. I'll verify. While I liked that tent (as much as I'm going to like a tent), I wish it was a little more 4 season ish.

I have a Walrus 4-season that I believe is for 4 people, but I do know folks who have used their Timberline in pretty severe weather.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've put my mountain hardware tents through hell and back (I've had my Trango 3 since like 1994....100's of nights in that), and I swear by them. I've never seen a spreadsheet of tent dimensions, but each manufacturer will list their own. I personally recommend MH, but I really like the looks of the Nemo tents and their are several other manufacturers out there that make good products.

As for a 4 person 4 season that has heavier fabric for use with a cot....I have no idea. I'd say look at those Springbar tents, but I'm personally not a fan of packing 80#'s of tent that takes 3x's as long to assemble and I wouldn't trust in some of the weather I've been in. But they are thick.

MOODY

Bald Guy
I've put my mountain hardware tents through hell and back (I've had my Trango 3 since like 1994....100's of nights in that), and I swear by them. I've never seen a spreadsheet of tent dimensions, but each manufacturer will list their own. I personally recommend MH, but I really like the looks of the Nemo tents and their are several other manufacturers out there that make good products.

As for a 4 person 4 season that has heavier fabric for use with a cot....I have no idea. I'd say look at those Springbar tents, but I'm personally not a fan of packing 80#'s of tent that takes 3x's as long to assemble and I wouldn't trust in some of the weather I've been in. But they are thick.

Ditto that, but insert the MH Trango 4, and Springbars fare amazingly well in inclement weather. Worth their weight if you like a castle in the wilderness.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've got a MH Hammerhead 3 too, and I've been using that a lot more (much better ventilation), but I don't like how small the doors are. I think I saw a Big Agnes pop up on Steepandcheap not too long ago, in the 4 person variety.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Ditto that, but insert the MH Trango 4, and Springbars fare amazingly well in inclement weather. Worth their weight if you like a castle in the wilderness.

I've been seriously considering the three person Springbar. Want to go look at one before ordering. I assume thy are like other tents in that a 4 person is really a comfortable 3 person?
http://www.kirkhams.com/deluxe-tents/campsite-3-springbar-tent/

7'x10' is a very similar if not bigger footprint than what it would be replacing. The only thing really holding me back on the Springbar is trying to set it up in a rocky type terrain. One thing I really liked about the Eureka is that it didn't need to be staked down to work quite well. Just wish it had a more rugged construction. For a tent, it set up fast and was fairly satisfying for me as I'm not a real tent person. If I have to stay in one, I like them to setup fast so I can move my comfort devices in there. It's an ok tent for 3season. I've stayed in it when we had issues staking down a Springbar and froze all night despite a good pad and bag.

KWight

It won't fit on your trailer, but I use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide and it has been awesome! Great rainfly, full coverage, awesome in snow too if you are out in winter.

I have the large Cabelas Extreme Weather tent and it is by far the best 4 season tent I have ever had. It should last until my youngest moves out of the house. If anyone else wants one, Cabelas has discontinued them and I saw one at half price in the Grand Junction Bargain Cave.

Kevin

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I bought 2 of the 3 person springbar tents last year, one for me and the wife and one for the kids.... Best thing I ever did. My kids put a twin and a full air mattres in theirs and 3 teens would fit fine with their stuff and once last labor day spent 2 days in the rain in their tent together with their electronic devices and never complained about being to tight. The wife and I sleep on a pair of dreamtime xl mattresses and have plenty of room for gear, guns and they are really nice because I can stand in it to change my clothes. I think 3 cots might be tight but 2 owuld work with enough room to move around.

I would highly recommend the three man to anyone who like me want a tent that will last and needs to be able to stand in it. They have done really well in the rain also, I was highly impressed how good they kept the water out in a very nasty multi day rain storm.

My dad has the 4 man and we sleep 4 on cots or have had 5 in it with pads instead of cots.. His is the kodiak but is the same size as the springbar but less money. Best money on a tent you can spend. Unless you need to pack it. My pack tent is a 2 man marmot great tent for one person, I use it for scouts seeing that leaders can't stay with the scouts and the other leader takes a trailer and I don't like the boys thinking I can handle roughing it.

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I've stayed in it when we had issues staking down a Springbar and froze all night despite a good pad and bag.

I think it wouldn't be too hard or expensive to build a multi piece aluminium frame that would go around the tent to attach the tent too instead of using tent stakes. If you made something with pieces of 1" square that hooked together so it was light and ridged and then would store in a small bag.. I was going to try some 2x2 wood for starters just to see how it would react. Looks like I have a good little project for one of these weekends.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I bought 2 of the 3 person springbar tents last year, one for me and the wife and one for the kids.... Best thing I ever did. My kids put a twin and a full air mattres in theirs and 3 teens would fit fine with their stuff and once last labor day spent 2 days in the rain in their tent together with their electronic devices and never complained about being to tight. The wife and I sleep on a pair of dreamtime xl mattresses and have plenty of room for gear, guns and they are really nice because I can stand in it to change my clothes. I think 3 cots might be tight but 2 owuld work with enough room to move around.

I would highly recommend the three man to anyone who like me want a tent that will last and needs to be able to stand in it. They have done really well in the rain also, I was highly impressed how good they kept the water out in a very nasty multi day rain storm.

My dad has the 4 man and we sleep 4 on cots or have had 5 in it with pads instead of cots.. His is the kodiak but is the same size as the springbar but less money. Best money on a tent you can spend. Unless you need to pack it. My pack tent is a 2 man marmot great tent for one person, I use it for scouts seeing that leaders can't stay with the scouts and the other leader takes a trailer and I don't like the boys thinking I can handle roughing it.

We love our Dreamtime XL pads, worth every penny we spent on them.

MOODY

Bald Guy
I would consider going up a size over the 3 man. I currently have a Traveler (10x10') and I think it is the business. I opted for the Portico and I have a few sets of stakes for various terrain. In the rocky stuff, I use the Snowpeak pegs that are 18" and can be pounded into blacktop. For sand like in Powell, I have a set of big sand stakes that Kirkham's sells. The last set is the standard 12" metal stakes it comes with.

Also, for anyone else looking at tents...don't be a tool like some people and buy a made in China Kodiak. (no offense if you have a Kodiak, they are just a knockoff that sucks in my opinion)

Not in the same boat as the Springbar.

MOODY

Bald Guy
I think it wouldn't be too hard or expensive to build a multi piece aluminium frame that would go around the tent to attach the tent too instead of using tent stakes. If you made something with pieces of 1" square that hooked together so it was light and ridged and then would store in a small bag.. I was going to try some 2x2 wood for starters just to see how it would react. Looks like I have a good little project for one of these weekends.

I have seen this done before, Kirkham's even toyed with it for awhile. It works.