New bike, first real test!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Last night I brought home my new (to me) '08 KTM 690 Enduro... I figure the best way to get to know the bike is to head out for the weekend for an overnight ride, exploring the high mountains of Colorado! I added GPS, a Wolfman tank bag and packed last night, getting ready to head out now. My destinations are Buena Vista, CO by way of Kebler Pass, Crested Butte and Cottonwood Pass. Tomorrow, Leadville, Hagerman Pass, McClure Pass and back on home in the dirt tomorrow afternoon! This will be a good mix of pavement, dirt and killer Colorado riding!

P6090020-L.jpg

I will have the SPOT on and running, feel free to check in and see how the ride is progressing! - http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0gY0zt4qaBf6oqHPxlPgIAHXlaa6Fs4VH

Greg

Admin
In Crested Butte now, getting lunch! :cody:

Caleb, the bike is amazing! Offroad its like a big, powerful dirt bike. I've been 'dirt tracking' the loaded bike out of corners on the gravely Kebler Pass and its eating it up. On the street, it feels like a supermoto weapon. The seat sucks, it needs bar risers bad... but almost 70 horsepower and a bike that weighs around 300 lbs.... I'm in LOVE!!

Hunt

Its so weird, I just looked at a 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R with just under 600 miles on it. The guy wants $7500 for it. With the exception of a lowering link on the rear shock its completely stock.

Greg

Admin
Its so weird, I just looked at a 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R with just under 600 miles on it. The guy wants $7500 for it. With the exception of a lowering link on the rear shock its completely stock.

Woah, too funny! That's a great price for a nearly new bike. They really are amazing machines, I'm more than impressed with mine.

Greg

Admin
Cottonwood Pass was neat, chilly and windy, but beautiful! Made it to Buena Vista about 4 pm, found a campground, took a short nap, set up the tent and took a shower. Of course the campground is a few miles out of town, no cell service! Currently in town getting some Carne Asada for dinner.

GAR

Dude! too cool. The bike looks killer! Sounds like a fun first trip too. I'd love to do some rides like that. I need some lessons in 'dirt tracking' too. I'm following your spot tracker

sixstringsteve

oh great... this bike is going to make your Chevy build take even LONGER because you'll be riding every weekend instead of wrenching. ;)

Cool bike Greg.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Now in Leadville, CO at 10,100 feet.... getting breakfast and trying to warm up. Apparently the heated grips don't work and I'm wishing I had more layers to put on! Rode into town around 8 AM and the temp was in the low 40's! Not sure if I'm ready for Hagerman Pass... its going to be COLD!

Greg

Admin
Made it home just after 4 pm, right about 500 miles in 2 days, mostly offroad, crossing the Continental Divide 2 times... what a ride!! The KTM 690 is nothing short of impressive... it's a hell of a bike! It isn't without it's shortcomings, but what bike isn't? The power is smooth and there is lots of it! The fuel injection was flawless, from 4,500 feet to 12,100 it worked just fine.

Greg

Admin
Thanks Scott, I took my 'nice' camera as I knew the scenery would be worth capturing... I was worried about hauling that camera on a 'dirt bike', especially after considering where I would be traveling. I packed it very carefully and it's fine!