New bike, first real test!

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Nice KTM. Does that thing really weigh only 300 pounds??

When you need parts, Christina just resigned from my plant to be the parts person at GJ HD/BMW/KTM. I gave her the RME and ADVrider web sites before she left. I also told her that you had numerous bikes and would probably be in for parts. Be sure to say HI if you meet up with her. She mostly rides snow machines, but will probably get into bikes because of her job.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Nice KTM. Does that thing really weigh only 300 pounds??

When you need parts, Christina just resigned from my plant to be the parts person at GJ HD/BMW/KTM. I gave her the RME and ADVrider web sites before she left. I also told her that you had numerous bikes and would probably be in for parts. Be sure to say HI if you meet up with her. She mostly rides snow machines, but will probably get into bikes because of her job.

Thanks, I'm beyond excited about the bike, it's a bit excessive but you only live once! 305 pounds dry weight, around 315 or so ready to ride! They call it a 'Hard Enduro' and I think that name fits quite well. Specs - http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ktm_690_enduro_2008.php

Christina, huh? I'm sure I will be in there soon enough, I'll be needing some parts pretty quick here. Thanks for the heads up!! I don't know much about the GJ Harley/BMW/KTM dealer, I've not needed to go in there before.

Caleb

So now that it's been a couple months I'm sure you've had it out a few more times. You still liking it? I'm this -><- close to selling my 300 and just getting a big bike.

Greg

Admin
So now that it's been a couple months I'm sure you've had it out a few more times. You still liking it? I'm this -><- close to selling my 300 and just getting a big bike.

I am still liking it, but I haven't been out on any other over night rides. It's been too hot and I just haven't had the time to escape into the mountains. I've made a few day rides and ridden it to a couple meetings around town and yes, I am happy with it. It's a high performance bike and it's SuperMoto back ground really shines thru on the twisties!

I've made a few mods, put a Seat Concepts foam and cover on the stock seat pan... made a world of difference in comfort! I added the needed bar risers and they really helped me out, especially when standing. I also added a set of Pivot Pegs. I'm currently installing the Rally Raid fuel tanks, which should give me 300+ miles of range. Much better than the stock tanks 180 miles!

It's not a bike without it's problems, I have minor issues... others have had pretty big issues with mods and the EFI getting along. My issues have been a leaky clutch slave cylinder (aftermarket one that fixes the issue is $175! There's one in the garage), leaking shifter shaft seal (apparently quite common) and dieing after startup. I'm pretty sure my problem is the spark plug wire, so there's one of those in the garage too.

The bike is amazing, but parts are expensive and not super easy to get. That said, if you want a true performance bike, you have to pay the price. I love how much performance this bike offers, it's going to get me into trouble... :greg:

I'll be mounting up a set of TKC80's this week and getting rid of the Metzler Saharas, in preparation of some serious offroad riding this Fall. I've been happy with the Sahara's so far, but knobbies will really help the bike offroad.

You should ride one if you get the chance... there's a 690 Enduro on KSL now and I know another RME'er will be looking at it this weekend. ;)

Sexy bike! I have been highly thinking about selling my CBR 600rr and getting a dual sport bike...

Sport bikes are fun, but dual sports are more fun. :D Do it, I don't think you'll regret it!

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Great write up!
Having just picked up a BMW Sertao(G650GS) a month ago, I have been looking into getting some equipment for camping, But dang that light weight stuff is pricey! I would like some Panniers, But I was thinking about going with Caribou cases, They use Pelican cases, I like the side open rather than the top open, But its all a personal choice.
Nice work once again :)

Greg

Admin
Great write up!
Having just picked up a BMW Sertao(G650GS) a month ago, I have been looking into getting some equipment for camping, But dang that light weight stuff is pricey! I would like some Panniers, But I was thinking about going with Caribou cases, They use Pelican cases, I like the side open rather than the top open, But its all a personal choice.
Nice work once again :)

Thanks Brian! So the Serato is a replacement for the Dakar GS650? Looks like it, from what I can see. They're great bikes, my brother had one and put some serious miles on it. Luggage can be difficult, hard bags are nice but pricey. I like the idea of Pelican cases! The KTM 690 came with the Aluminum panniers, but I recently purchased a Coyote Giant Loop and I hope it lives up to all the hype. They're more dirt oriented, but worth checking out for your Serato.

Ya, they seem like they are a blast. Get the benefits of both on and off road use.

Yeah, twice as useful! :p Twice the fun... ;)

Greg

Admin
So I finally got around to putting together a little video from this ride... my video editing skills are getting better! I love the music, Eddie Vedder from the 'Into the Wild' soundtrack... so good!

As always, HD is an option... ;)

[video=youtube;MIzBgg7JLLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIzBgg7JLLc&feature=plcp[/video]

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Colorado is heaven for bikes. I could spend years riding just the pavement, not to mention the dirt. I spend a ton of time there, wishing I had 16 fewer wheels under me. I am jealous of your life.

Greg

Admin
Colorado is heaven for bikes. I could spend years riding just the pavement, not to mention the dirt. I spend a ton of time there, wishing I had 16 fewer wheels under me. I am jealous of your life.

Colorado IS heaven for bikes! There are some amazing rides both road and dirt, I do feel pretty lucky at times when I'm exploring this state!

Greg

Admin
Chiming in late. Love the new bike but Greg on a KTM, how does your foot taste :D

:p Sticking to what I've always said about KTM's... they're high maintenance! My 1990 was and now this 2008 is proving me right once again! :D But I do love the performance, I don't know of another Thumper that can outperform the 690 Enduro!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
:p Sticking to what I've always said about KTM's... they're high maintenance! My 1990 was and now this 2008 is proving me right once again! :D But I do love the performance, I don't know of another Thumper that can outperform the 690 Enduro!

I know, I know... just messing' with you :D

Congrats on the new bike, I think was was out of town when you picked this up and somehow missed the updates along the way... sweet setup, I've been eying the 690's, amazing bikes!