New GM ZZ454

fire4j15

I need some help here. My uncle is giving me his new GM performance parts crate engine in a ZZ454. It put's out 425HP and 500lbs of torque. I want to put it in my 85' Cj-7 but I'm not sure if it will fit. I know a 350 small block fit's with no problem but what about a big block. Has anyone out there put a big block into there CJ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
The 454 will fit OK. The problem we ran into was cooling it. The motor we used was a 11 to 1 motor with a big cam. Desk top dyno put it at 550 HP.
One of the new 2 row aluminum radiators might do it. Slow crawling would be the test.
We ran a T400/205 behind it and it fit well. It had fenderwell headers and the steering had to be ran around those with a couple joints. You may be able to clear chassis headers or manifolds.
It was alot of fun:D

fire4j15

Thanks

Thanks guy's for the info. I am going to run a TH400 and a atlas behind the 454. how hard was it to run your steering around the motor? Thanks

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
sheesh. LOT of motor for a CJ. That'll be cool. Well, it'll be hot, but it'll be neat when it gets done.

Can I be a cousin??? heheh

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
Thanks guy's for the info. I am going to run a TH400 and a atlas behind the 454. how hard was it to run your steering around the motor? Thanks

It wasn't hard, we used a couple of steering universal joints, and a bearing carrier mounted to the fender? I think it was the fender, that or the frame. PM me your info and I'll keep in touch. One of my buddies had found a new radiator he thought would work as we have been thinking about building another BBC Jeep.

fire4j15

Zz454

Here is what will be ran behind the ZZ454, TH400, Atlas 3.8-1, Dana 70 and a Dana 44 that needs to be replaced with a 60. Running 37" MTR's. I can't wait to see what this motor can do!!!!!!!!!!

fire4j15

Zz454

Jay5.9L I recieved the crate engine for free, I feel very lucky. The ZZ454 came with the Ram Jet Fuel Injection, this motor is one bad customer. I think the cost was a little over $10,000. The motor came Turn-key ready.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
You lucky SOB!!!!! Does your uncle adopt poor CJ owners, if so sign me up! :)

Its almost too much engine to put into Jeep. Throw that bad boy in a muscle car and it would be a screamer!

Jay5.9L I recieved the crate engine for free, I feel very lucky. The ZZ454 came with the Ram Jet Fuel Injection, this motor is one bad customer. I think the cost was a little over $10,000. The motor came Turn-key ready.