New lift law & tire size

Turbobob

Semper Fi
I'm sure it has been posted before, but I am asking anyway. Someone please tell me the basics of the new law. Is there anything in the new law covering tire size? I just stopped & talked to an IM guy & says 35 inches is as big as I can run on my scrambler. Is this BS? He says he won't even look at my Jeep if it has the 36's I am currently running. :mad2: I told him of the several rigs I see with bigger tires than this with current plates. He just waked away & said it wasn't worth the risk. Someone PLEASE help!!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Turbobob said:
I'm sure it has been posted before, but I am asking anyway. Someone please tell me the basics of the new law. Is there anything in the new law covering tire size? I just stopped & talked to an IM guy & says 35 inches is as big as I can run on my scrambler. Is this BS? He says he won't even look at my Jeep if it has the 36's I am currently running. :mad2: I told him of the several rigs I see with bigger tires than this with current plates. He just waked away & said it wasn't worth the risk. Someone PLEASE help!!
No tire size limit. 24" from the ground to your frame for CJ's (measured at the FRAME where your skid plate is. Tell him to show you the law.

Caleb

Hickey said:
No tire size limit. 24" from the ground to your frame for CJ's (measured at the FRAME where your skid plate is. Tell him to show you the law.

yep, no limit on tires jsut the height of the frame...tell him to show you the law, then take in a copy and show him the law...you can find a copy of the laws in this thread (Thanks Shawn:D)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
make sure you go over the definition of the frame with him too. It states in the law that the fram is to be measured at the bottom of the longest straight section of the frame. He might try to get away with measuring up under the front bumper.

Hickey said:
make sure you go over the definition of the frame with him too. It states in the law that the fram is to be measured at the bottom of the longest straight section of the frame. He might try to get away with measuring up under the front bumper.

:) :) :) :) :)

(it just makes me all warm and happy inside)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Just take it somewhere else. If he doesn't want to look at it, and you force him to, he's just gonna find something to fail it on.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
Just take it somewhere else. If he doesn't want to look at it, and you force him to, he's just gonna find something to fail it on.
Yeah, but I still think you should show him a copy of the law, to inform him.

DToy

Hickey said:

Actually:

(b) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest longitudinal structural member of the body of the vehicle.
(c) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point on the frame. The distance is measured when the vehicle is unladen and on a level surface.

This is an important point. I've had a UHP and the guy at the insp. station try to tell me that the height on my 4Runner should be measured under the driver's door. I don't see where it says "as measured under the driver's door". My frame's lowest point is just behind the front tires where the frame rails dip down and then turn up along the front tire. This spot is still part of the "longitudinal structural member". I had to fight a fix-it ticket because of this, since under the driver's door it measures 28", and at the "lowest point of the frame" it measures 26-1/4". (But if I let a little air out of the front tires it drops to 26") :D I got out of the ticket, but after 15 minutes of arguing at the inspection station I pulled the 31's off my wife's 4Runner and threw them on mine so that the moron would pass it.

cyberduke

Hairy Bagel
Depends on how your scrambler is set up. I'm sprung over w/ 35's and my frame measures right on at 24". And for a CJ GVW, 24" is the magic number.

-Earl

Turbobob

Semper Fi
cyberduke said:
Depends on how your scrambler is set up. I'm sprung over w/ 35's and my frame measures right on at 24". And for a CJ GVW, 24" is the magic number.

-Earl
I am sprung over on 2 inch lift springs with 36 inch swampers. Frame height is about 25. I may have to get some shorter tires to get it to pass.

Turbobob said:
I am sprung over on 2 inch lift springs with 36 inch swampers. Frame height is about 25. I may have to get some shorter tires to get it to pass.

Or put some (heavy) gear in and air down a hair. They're s'posed to give you up to an inch.

SOA w/ waggy springs (stock front in front, lifted front in rear) and 38's, just a tad over 24"....hmmmmm, I haven't measured it since I took my spare off and emptied the stuff outta the bed to put the 2nd back seat in...