New rims over heating badly

01XJ

I have a 92 k1500 full size blazer and it had some after market rims on it but one cracked and i could never find a match because they were older style rims. Well when i bought the blazer it came with 4 chevy rims off of a new chevy probably 80s. They fit fine and look great. But i notice 2 were discolored yellow like they had been over heated really bad. They we not warped or anything i couldn't see where anything had rubbed on the rim so i put them on yesterday. After i went on freeway down geneva and around my block and i could smell burning really bad. I got home felt the front rims and they were so hot it burned me bad when i touchef them. I waited until they cooled off and removed them and there is no sign of rubbing on the rim. I put them back on and there is more than enough clearance between everything behind the rim. So i took it to discount this morning and got there and the were burning up again they said the rims are chevy rims shouldn't hsve any issues running them on my blazer and there is more than enough room between everything and had no explanation of the over heating because its not rubbing on anything. It's on both sides. The rear is great, i don't hear any grinding it doesn't feel like there is any drag on anything and drives just like it always has. Any ideas what the hell is going on causing the over heating. Everyone is at a loss since its not hitting anything. Please help i don't want to have to put the old rims back on and my ugly spare again.

01XJ

Here is what the rims look like uploadfromtaptalk1430286424097.jpg they actually got so hot it melted the center cap. Cant even use them. There were parts where the plastic had actually dripped it got so hot and melted. I'm lucky it didn't catch fire

Last edited:

01XJ

uploadfromtaptalk1430289724146.jpgWhat world cause that from these rims that didn't do it to the new ones that do. I wish i could find one more rim like the old ones id just go back but i have hit ever junk yard tire shop etc, no luck

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Is the wheel center bore too small? that looks like a newer chev wheel (like 04) from an IFS. It could be clamping down on the hub compressing the wheel bearings causing tons of increased friction.

idahoyj

Is it possible that the problem existed prior to the new wheels? Maybe the aluminum wheels weren't as noticeable when they got hot, or maybe they were able to dissipate the heat faster?? What made the old wheel crack?
Jack up the front axle and spin the tires. It's got to be something in the hubs, maybe over tightened bearings?