Jeep New setup planning...

JimRico

Rico
I am doing some upgrades and was debating what type of clutch setup I can do. My CJ7 is getting a Vortec 5.7 with SM465 4spd and NP205 xfer case. It has a 2.5"suspension lift but is probably getting a 2" body lift to fit some 35's. With that height my thought is it might be easier to do hydraulic than rig up the linkage and levers.

Has anyone done a similar setup and what are my advantages and dis-advantages to hydraulic?

Just picked up the parts and trying to get a game plan. Any thoughts?

:D Jim

RockChucker

hydraulic is way nicer. i probably have a setup similar to what you'll end up with since i'm running a 5.3 and an old school chevy bellhousing. i haven't had any problems with the hydraulic retrofit to the bellhousing. and my clutch linkage doesn't bind when the jeep is articulated :greg:

RockChucker

I went with novaks setup. You'll have to figure out a master cylinder though. I did not. As far as looking in junk yards...something's are better to just buy new haha. I would think that the later cjs came with a hydraulic master, it might be worth it to look for a pedal out of a junk yard but I'm really not sure if you'll even be able to find one or if it would be significantly different from your current pedal. I was lucky since I only had to find a slave and Novak already had one...

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Hard linkage is cumbersome, and as mentioned, and it can bind at times. I would certainly go hydraulic. Find a master cylinder that will work and pick up a new one at an auto parts store.

On your setup, why go with a 2" body lift instead of more spring lift? From personal experience, I HATE body lifts. I have removed everyone I have ever had on a vehicle. I understand needing 1/2" to 1" for clearance needs for some modifications, but in general, I would avoid them at all costs. You may get other opinions, but my CJ's always did MUCH better without the body lift installed as far as feeling stable, handling body roll, and feeling much more safe in all situations.

JimRico

Rico
Finally got time to post an update on my re-build.

Body lift is in and enging/tranny/xfer are out. Got my new to me Vortec 5.7 and had to pull the intake off to fix a leak.

Question:

While pulling the top half of the intake off I noticed carbon build up but only on the front half. The leak was on the rear corner. So am I right to think the computer was seeing the back half running normal because of the leak and letting the front half run rich. Sorry pic is too big to post until I re-size.

The rest of the build is slowly progressing. SM465 and NP205 are sitting underneath waiting for mock up. Looks like I'm a bit long so I have some figuring to do on that.

Hoping this doesn't take all winter but it might.

JimRico

Rico
Yea Keester will get to that soon.

Had fun playing in the junk yard all day. Got some goodies and was eyeing up a rear axle. Picked up a front axle from online so the pile grows. Pics coming soon.....:D

JimRico

Rico
Hard linkage is cumbersome, and as mentioned, and it can bind at times. I would certainly go hydraulic. Find a master cylinder that will work and pick up a new one at an auto parts store.

On your setup, why go with a 2" body lift instead of more spring lift? From personal experience, I HATE body lifts. I have removed everyone I have ever had on a vehicle. I understand needing 1/2" to 1" for clearance needs for some modifications, but in general, I would avoid them at all costs. You may get other opinions, but my CJ's always did MUCH better without the body lift installed as far as feeling stable, handling body roll, and feeling much more safe in all situations.

Still hoping to go hydraulic on the clutch but we'll see how the cash holds up. I know the body lift is going to make it a lil more tippy but will be offset by wider axles hopefully. It already has a 2.5" suspension lift on it so I needed the body lift to fit 35's.

Probably going with 4.33 gears. Should be OK for 35's? And the tranny has the granny gear to help out.

JimRico

Rico
Pictures of progress so far:

AMC 304 coming out
DSCN0391.jpg20131026_184616.jpg

Vortec test fit (may have to squeeze it forward a touch)
20131103_220806.jpgDSCN0507.jpg

That's a lil higher than the lift really is...
DSCN0489.jpg

Working on freshening up the engine and gathering all the little parts.

Cherokeester

Pictures!!! Yay Looks like a bit of a project. As mentioned before, do yourself a favor and do not do a body lift. I know funds can dictate builds but having it right in the long run really makes you smile. I recommend putting in the Rubicon Express 4.5" springs for Cj. That is what I have on mine and I can run those 35's fairly simply. Also, in 8 years the springs have not sagged at all and are the best riding springs out there. Plus I get a lot flex and don't have to worry about body lift issues like the radiator, transmission linkage, steering issues and so forth. Good luck with your build.

BTW, I have a 401 in my CJ7 and I still use the mechanical linkage clutch and it seems to work just fine but with your engine change all that may or may not line up right.

JimRico

Rico
Thanks Keester, My mechanical linkage clutch worked good b4 so I'm leaning towards keeping that. Will look into those springs. I've got a cut down front axle, minus gears, and have a rear end lined up. Would be a good time for springs if the funds hold out.

Top end done. Working on the bottom.
DSCN0519.jpgDSCN0522.jpg

Feeling like a maid with all the cleaning. LOL

JimRico

Rico
It's been a while. Had to take some time off. Engine Tranny and Xfer are in. Need to find a hydraulic clutch setup. Not enough room for manual linkage. After that it's electrical and fuel. Got most of those parts just need to install. Can't wait to hear her purr.

Does anyone know of a slave cylinder with a long enough stroke for the clutch on my SM465?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
CJ hydraulic clutch setups were pretty rare, but they do exist. I can't remember which but they came on either the AMC or Chevy 4 cyl models. I have a petal setup for a hydraulic system in my garage but have never used it because the mechanical setup works fine and is very reliable. I had many issues with it when I still had the AMC inline six. It would eat bushings and come apart on a regular basis. The problem was the motor mounts letting the engine move too much. Since installing a Chevy V8, which twists very little in the frame, the design is rock solid. You do have to modify the brackets so that the geometry is perfect, but that is easy.