New suspension for the Commander

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
My commander looks cool in the parking lot, but pieced together bull-crap courtesy of the previous owner makes it ride like a covered wagon. Struts were shot, shocks were blown and strut spacers were STACKED :ugh: It was not cool.

Old Man Emu paid me a visit, I used Rocky road outfitters lift. It took a long time to get here, but is a good setup

disassembling struts with only one set of hands is no fun. Also, most parts store compressors don't fit big springs so I had to use a bunch of safety wire since the safeties on the tool didn't fit over the springs.

Muscling the struts into and out of place while working the wrench with the other hand is tough as well, but I eventually got it.

Back should be super easy, but as I suspected previous owner had rallied the crap out of my commander, so the upper spring bucket bolt was torn out of the frame/body. A little grinding and welding got that sorted and it went back together quickly.

This car has pissed me off the whole time I've owned it, but now we've bonded and I think we can move on. Stock commanders = Gay, and now my commander is pretty cool.

Last edited:

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
I believe it's 2.5". It fits 265 75 17 tires without rubbing in my case. It's a really easy lift to install, and doesn't require anything special as far as tools go.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I had an Old Man Emu lift on my old Commander. I used the HD springs up front. My harbor freight spring compressors couldn't handle it. They broke apart and almost killed me.

I loved the OME kit though. It rode really nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I like the XK and WK a lot. I saw the people from 4xguard.com in Moab once and they have some sweet rigs. The skid plates they make are awesome and seem affordable too. Good looking XK you have