new tow rig

94rodeo

Well I retired the rodeo from being the daily driver and bought a 99 yukon and a tandem axle trailer to haul it on.

So beings that the yukon is a half ton, what does everyone recommend for it being upgraded to the tow rig?

Air bags?
got a weight distributing hitch on the way.
Trailer has electric brakes on one axle, thinking of adding it to the other.
tranny cooler upgrade? If so what do you recommend?
Tranny temp gauge, also what brand?
any chips, programs, etc?
anything for more hp?

I know I will not win any races, but it should get me to where I want to go.

Troy

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
My brother pulled a house trailer with a 96 Yukon for many years, and never had a problem. It's no dielsel, and wouldn't hod a candle to the cummins dodge that I pull with now, but it did pretty well for itself. The house trailer tha the pulled weighed about 7K loaded and wet.
He ran a weight distributing hitch, electric brakes on one axle. Just don't skimp on the brake controller. We put headers on it with Stock ehauset to replace a cracked stock manifold, and a K&N drop in filter. It responded very well to the headers (flowtech shorties IIRC), and would probably have done better with a cat back. We put a BIG tranny cooler on it when he first got it, but I don't rember what brand. Run good quality trans fluid too.

You would be better off with a heavier diesel truck for pulling, but you are absolutely right, this will get you where you want to go.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm curious about the rear suspension. The airbags would be a good choice, IMHO. I think the motor and trans will be fine (a trans cooler is never a bad thing).

ALF

SURE!?
I tow my Jeep with my 97 GMC Half ton. Here are quick specs. 1/2 ton 4x4 350 w/ a 5 speed Standard cab shortbed 3.73 gears with 33's and a 3 inch lift. All stock but a drop in K&N unless you count plugs wires and such.

The only thing I want to do to aid in towing is an airbag set up it squats me a bit in the rear but not enough to be too concerned. Power wise of course you always want more but hauling the Jeep up Spanish Fork canyon I never dropped below 55-60 and had plenty of pedal left. I have surge brakes on my trailer and they seem more than adequate.

1993yj

I think that brakes on only one axle are sufficent. That is how most car/jeep/rodeo haulers are setup. For the money, it seems that usually intake and exhaust are the best bang for your buck, and the cheapest. I would add those. I am partial to K&N filters and Aero mufflers. Have them on both my jeep and dodge and love the results. As for tranny gauge, I have put Autometer mechanical tranny gauges in both as well, and a B&M tranny cooler in the jeep. Dodge already had one. Those airbags would be nice too for your setup, but if you only tow occassionally, it may not be a priority. As for chipping it, I notice more power driving around town for sure, but towing I dont know. I know that some people out there dont like chipping their tow vehicles. One reason I did the Aero muffler was to lower the EGT's.

1993yj

What are EGT's

EGT's are exhaust gas temperature. Basically, how hot it is inside the cylinders. When you chip a truck, it raises your EGT's, and if they get too hot, it can melt your pistons, rings, etc. making for costly and major repairs. Not anything I have personally seen, but there are stories out there. Those Aero mufflers lower your EGT's by reducing back pressure in the exhaust, etc. etc. etc. Their web site gives all of the details. I mostly got them cause I liked the hp and torque gains, as well as the sound. The EGT thing I guess was just kind of a nice bonus to me.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
High EGTs tend to be more of a problem in Diesels than gas motors based on the fact that I've never seen an EGT guage in anything other than a race car (or a ricer, cause it was one more glowing purple thing). High Flow Exhaust helps lowe EGTs by letting the hot exhaust gas get away quicker and helps other things too.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that could happen and that an exhaust could help with it.

Ive never seen it happen on anything other than a diesel and a race car. That said, it COULD happen to a gas motor tow rig.
Depending on how heavy you go, you might not need bags. My brother never went to bags with his yukon. The weight distributing hitch did fine for that wheelbase. Then again, I have bags on my ctd dodge (but no weight distro hitch.