New XJ owner...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
rckcrlr said:
Oh and the only 60 I have is the frt on the EB....6 axles and only one is a 60, Hmmmmm?? :D

Wow, never thought of it that way....sorry, I can't hang out with you any more. -_-

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Woah, pissing contest in my XJ thread! :rofl:

I'll be keeping the 8.25 for sometime. The only reason I'll swap it out will be to either re-gear or add a locker. I'd use the 2WD Taco axle since they are cheap, strong, already have 4.10's and the fact that a factory e-locker will drop right in. You can pick up e-locker 3rds for around $400.

So $450-500 into a re-geared, elec. locked axle? Sign me up. ;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
JeepinJoe said:
x2
Heaven forbid that someone on this forum suggest anything but a built
Dana 60 as a axle. :rolleyes:
You are the one posting up lame axle swaps when His current axle is quite adequate for his purposes. The swaps you suggest would only give marginal strength over what he has stock. What would be the point of upgrade a slight margine? As far as 60's, you are also the first to suggest that. I think YOU need to do some research instead of just spewing forth what you read on some website.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Greg said:
I'd use the 2WD Taco axle since they are cheap, strong, already have 4.10's and the fact that a factory e-locker will drop right in. You can pick up e-locker 3rds for around $400.
That's just crazy talk. A Toyota axle in a JEEP?!?!?!?!? :eek: :rofl: :rofl:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Come on guys... all this bickering over some miscomunication? sheesh. :)

I still think you should jump for a good set of long arms. Hell, I built mine a few years for under $200. And thats using 2" x .75" wall DOM, RE Johnny Joints, and some of my own custom brackets. I just can't explain how nice it rides afterwords... It didn't ride like a jeep anymore. :cool:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Herzog said:
Come on guys... all this bickering over some miscomunication? sheesh.
I still think you should jump for a good set of long arms. Hell, I built mine a few years for under $200. And thats using 2" x .75" wall DOM, RE Johnny Joints, and some of my own custom brackets. I just can't explain how nice it rides afterwords... It didn't ride like a jeep anymore. :)
MEh, I don't see a miscomunication. I do, however, apologize for my hate of the 8.8 axle swap. :)
I agree on the long arms. (medium arms in my case) I just used stock lower control arm bushings. It flexes very well.

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Congrats Greg......leave the 8.25".....damn close to the strength of the 44 I just swapped. Oh, and paint it white like mine, it makes you cooler to be like me. :greg:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
The Toyota rear axle w/ e-lock 3rd member is the best modification done to my XJ.

It's a non-Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand... ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Vonski said:
Pioneer? Nah, just trying to fuel some sort of gay Jeep vs. Toyota rivalry. :D

I just did a search for "Toyota vs. Jeep" and this thread popped up... I usually catch these things sooner...

Who wants some... :D

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
I hate toyota's...I don't even have a good reason... I don't even really hate them... I JUST HATE THEM!

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
Toyota vs. Jeep

I guess we will never realize the fact that we are all out doing the same thing, as long as some of us drive Jeeps and some of us drive "High School Girl" Rides. So, until the day we do..... F*** Toyotas! :greg:

JoeT

Dang did I ever step in a cowpie. :eek: and yes I deserved it. I've been gone camping/fishing since my last dumbass post here. So I have not had a chance to post a reply sooner.
rckcrlrSorry I said that you need to do research. I did not know what you level of knowledge of axles was. My fault, as someone suggested, I need to do some research. Agreed. For some reason I felt the need to butt heads with you on this one. Bad idea.

Dana44A suggestion= very lame. Sorry I deserve a kick to the driveline for that one. :shawn:
Ford 8.8 suggestion: I've found that for XJ's not a bad swap because their easier to find than a XJ Dana44. Plus some have disc brakes. Since XJ 44's are rare and can be pricey and XJ brakes are not the best. I did alot of research on www.naxja.com www.jeepsunlimited.com and www.madxj.com www.jeepforum.com when I deceided to take this step. Typically a 8.8 or XJ Dana44 swap was what I found to be the best solution for me. I went with the XJ Dana 44 because I got one for free. :eek:

Now I have nothing against Toyota's. I've never heard of someone doing a Toy axle into a XJ.
Vonski The Toyota rear axle w/ e-lock 3rd member is the best modification done to my XJ.

It's a non-Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand... your right because I did not know. Again I need do more research.

I'm sorry for pissing off so many people here. I've had the impression that a 8.25 was only marginally better than a D35. I've also thought that a Ford Exploder 8.8 has about the same strength as a XJ Dana 44. Sure a 60 is best because the long term durability. Anyone feels that they need to call me up and chew me out 598-4632 is my cell.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Good reply Joe, its hard to admit you were wrong. I don't have any issues with what you said eairler. As has been said, the 8.25 will probably be plenty axle for my needs.