Jeep Noob Suspension Questions

Kramnden

I have an XJ with a 4" Rancho lift that I'd like to improve upon. In the rear I've got stock leaf springs with 4" blocks under them, providing the lift. I have a dana 44 from a TJ that I'd like to bolt up too but I don't exactly know what to do with the suspension.

I'd like to get rid of the blocks in the rear, unless someone can show me that they're great, and that I shouldn't be too concerned with axle wrap. My options are coil conversion, or new leaf springs. Are there any significant advantages to coil springs over leaf? I'd like to keep this relatively inexpensive too so should I look for used 4" YJ leaf springs to put in the rear, should I stick with leafs, or should I buy new?

Any answers and input are greatly appreciated.
-Kramnden

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
if your looking to keep it cheap, replace the springs, get rid of the blocks, you will still have axle wrap, but it wont be as bad as having blocks, and for the front, long arm it(huge improvement)

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
if your looking to keep it cheap, replace the springs, get rid of the blocks, you will still have axle wrap, but it wont be as bad as having blocks, and for the front, long arm it(huge improvement)

What he said but i would add that if you totally want to get rid of the axle wrap make a simple traction bar. To anwser your questions about coils being better than leafs, yes, are they worth converting to on the cheap, proably not. Coils up front and leafs out back arent a bad combo at all. Now if you could spend alot on a nice Trianglated 4 link in the rear then id say yes :greg:

Kramnden

I didn't realize I could still get axle wrap with leaf springs. Interesting.

I'm leaning toward leaf springs as it seems it would be much cheaper. I'll have to price some things out to see what I ultimately do. Also, if I were to add 2" with shackles in the rear, and pucks in the front, am I asking for trouble or does this seem acceptable (assuming I replaced my rear leaf springs first)? I remember reading about needing an SYE for my TJ when I wanted to increase the 4" lift by 2" but wasn't sure if that applied here as well.

Thanks for the input guys!
-Kramnden

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
If you are thinking of going 6" you should definitely long arm the front first, and get a sye, I wouldnt go 6" with short arms, thats a bad idea

Kramnden

If you are thinking of going 6" you should definitely long arm the front first, and get a sye, I wouldnt go 6" with short arms, thats a bad idea

I do have plans for a long arm kit up front, although, I didn't know it was crucial with 6". The 6" plan may have to wait, as my priority now is getting rid of the blocks in the rear, and getting the dana 44 installed.

Thanks,
-Kramnden

iamsparticus

i think youd be better off getting rid of the blocks and keeping it a 4 inch lift anyways lower center of gravity is always best. Just get the sawsall out to fit those bigger tires :)

Kramnden

i think youd be better off getting rid of the blocks and keeping it a 4 inch lift anyways lower center of gravity is always best. Just get the sawsall out to fit those bigger tires :)

Yeah, I could go this route. I cut the wheel wells on my last XJ and thought I turned out pretty good.

Is it wise to look at used leaf springs? I apologize for being a total noobie to the technical side of rock crawling. I don't know what to look for in spring length to keep the 4" of lift. I'm also not sure if I'd need to move the spring mounts if I went with other springs (I would want to avoid this as I am inexperienced and lack proper tools). Just looking for 4" leaf springs for the XJ at a reasonable price is proving to be a bit cumbersome.

Thanks,
-Kramnden

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
My first 2 sets of springs were used and I wouldn't do it again, unless you know the seller and have seen the springs on their rig prior to purchase to verify condition.

iamsparticus

Leafs are a touch and feel kind of suspension, you just have to play with the amount of leafs and length as well as the shackle length to get what you want, i agree with black_ZJ i would not go with used unless you have seen them on the previous rig, new arent that expensive id go with new

Will3161

I put s-10 leafs on mine I had, and a slightly larger shackle. Worked great, and only cost about 50 bucks. If I remember they are direct bolt ons. Obviously not the absolute best, but probably the best bang for the buck. What do you define as "cheap" though?

Kramnden

I put s-10 leafs on mine I had, and a slightly larger shackle. Worked great, and only cost about 50 bucks. If I remember they are direct bolt ons. Obviously not the absolute best, but probably the best bang for the buck. What do you define as "cheap" though?

I would define $50 as cheap. My wife doesn't want me investing too much into it because it doubles as the grocery getter. I want it capable, but not overkill, if that makes sense.

You bolted up stock S-10 leaves with a longer shackle and got 4"? What were the cons to running S-10 leaves exactly?

Thanks in advanced for the advise.
-Kramnden